Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A 1700's type of day with CTTodd

GKMan

I did well detecting with CtTodd today. I found a couple nice keg taps, a couple suspender buckles (one labeled CH. Guyot from the early 1900s) and a button or two.
I also discovered a couple nice Connecticut coppers dated between 1785 and 88, two King George II coins dating 1739 and possibly 1737. I also found a 1786 half real, a nice intact shoe buckle and two unknown coppers.
I believe that one larger circular item with the keg taps is the back to a pocket watch.
Thanks for looking..
HH everyone...

Well that is a great day, field site?

Yes.. no known home at the site, but sure was a lot of coins to dig

GKMan said:
Yes.. no known home at the site, but sure was a lot of coins to dig

I talked to Todd briefly about this sort of thing a couple of months ago but maybe you can elaborate too. What sort of things led you to the site if there was no known home there? The maps in my area (which has been inhabited by Europeans for easily 300+ years) are damn near non-existent. The oldest ones I can find that include home sites on them are topo maps from 1899 which is WAY too young for what I want to find. We get colonial stuff around here but it's pure luck and I only find about one colonial coin per year.

Hi
We thought this place had a chance because it was across from an old cemetery. Perhaps they parked their wagons there while having a service. So, it goes back to the idea that it is best to be detecting where people may have gathered. Interesting to hear you can't find older maps with the detail you are looking for. I would talk with your local historical society, or library. Perhaps they know of earlier ones.

GKMan said:
Hi
We thought this place had a chance because it was across from an old cemetery. Perhaps they parked their wagons there while having a service. So, it goes back to the idea that it is best to be detecting where people may have gathered. Interesting to hear you can't find older maps with the detail you are looking for. I would talk with your local historical society, or library. Perhaps they know of earlier ones.

Last time I went to the historical society they couldn't produce maps as old as the ones I have, which was kind of irritating. Considering how much history is here and the fact that George Washington himself surveyed the area as a young man you'd think there would be more maps here.