Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A big disappointment

Chuckieo

Hi Guys and Gals,
I've been getting ready to do some coinshooting and relic hunting.. I just can't wait....That is until I got my Big Bud out of the closet and checked it over. No batteries were stored in it, I kept it laying flat on a shelf in a cool dry place and I always made sure nothing was laid on top of it. Well, I tried 4 sets of new batteries, checked all the plug in places and the unit is shot. The meter barely moves and it doesn't even beep. I tried all the settings. It's a NO GO.

I'm really heartsick. Yes the unit is old but I took great care of it. There isn't a scratch on the entire unit. The fact is, I have been disabled with a broken back and I am finally at the point where some good ole coinshooting would be helpful therapy for me, bending down, digging and walking. My doctor was elated with the idea.

Has anyone else ever had a unit go bad by just sitting on a shelf? Well, I guess I have to start saving from my money so I can get out there and do what I like, coinshooting and relic hunting. I apologize for going on and on, but it means a lot to me. I'm not looking or sympathy either, I am just sick over it.

I'm gonna buy a computerized gizmo and hopefully quit digging pull tabs lol.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this major breakdown?
I admit, the unit was old but it was taken very well care of. Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

chuckieo my brother works on old guitar amps and i have some times seen this happen to amp bord's, you can hose the inside electrical parts of the thing with electrical contact cleaner from radio shack. maybe the conections are cruddy from siting even thow it's dry. give it a try. Art.....

Thank-you Art. I was even thinking of offering to someone who may need parts from it ( knobs, coil etc). I will will wait and see how things work out. I all would want is eimbusement or postage, but let me ty your suggesion. Who knows? I might end up with a new White's and a backup.. I ordered a White's MTX pro yesterday. I just can't wait to get out there trasure hunting. Well, it will be trout fishing, turkey huntin and looking for treasure lol.

I will definately give your suggestion a try. It makes sense. maybe there is some corrosion in there. It was brought to my attention that these detectors are of a new computer age level. The old one I had is just plain obsolete but it worked.. So off to the music shop I go. i wonder if WD-40 might work.

Chuck

Often with older circuits the capacitors leak or dry out. When they do leak it can eat surface traces. Just my 2c.
Sorry to hear it's not working...

I would also indicate bad capacitors. Capacitors can permanently die if no power has been run through them over long period (years).