Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Bold statement made by Makro with the R2....

OregonGregg said:
The original Red Racer small coil was 4.7 x 5.2 inches a little Out Of Round (OOR) Monte coined the phrase and we have been calling it the "oor" coil ever since. It is compatible with the Racer 2. The new small coil that comes with the Racer 2 is slightly bigger at approx 5.5" and is round. Either coil is compatible with either the R1 or R2. I think the coil was model # RC 13

Right. The original small Racer coil was called the RC13. The newer one that is 5.5" and really round (should we call it the RR, not the OOR?) is
being called the RC13E. It appears that Makro is still selling them both, at least the US distributor lists them both as available.

hrefab said:
Can I get a clarification on this OOR coil?
Yes, and I will have to take the credit for the popular use of the name 'OOR' which stands for 'Out-Of-Round.' Most popular search coil design shapes have either been round, or a very pronounced elliptical shape. In 2001 Tesoro came out with a new coil design called an 8X9, and that Concentric coil was a replacement for the standard 8" 'round' Concentric coil. Because the 8X9 search coils was no longer a round shape, and definitely not a fashionable elongated elliptical shape, I dubbed it an 'OOR' coil because it was just barely Out-Of-Round.

When I got my Nokta FORS CoRe in January last year, and Makro Racer in February, their smaller-than-stock search coils were an out-of-round shape as well, measuring 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] in DD configuration. Because these smaller-size search coil were just slightly no longer 'round,' I called them an 'OOR' search coil in any discussions I had and in print in e-mails and Forum posts, and that seems to have caught on in many general discussions.

hrefab said:
It's NOT the same one that comes with the Racer2 Pro Package?
No, the 'OOR' shaped DD coil was available as an accessory, or it was part of the Pro Package for the Nokta FORS Gold and FORS CoRe at 15 kHz and the original Makro Racer at 14 kHz. The FORS Gold + and newer FORS Relic, both operating at 19 kHz, have an available 5½" diameter round DD coil and not the 'OOR' shaped design. The 5½" DD is also the smaller size coil used with the 56 kHz Gold Racer. The new racer 2, also operating at 14 kHz, shares search coils with the original Racer, but the smaller coil, available in the Pro Package or as an accessory, is the round-shaped 5½" DD design. [size=small](Note: Nokta/Makro Detectors calls it a 5" DD, but the physical measurement is very close to 5½" so that's what I have called it.)[/size]

hrefab said:
Is there a part number for the OOR coil and is it compatible with the Racer 2?
The 'OOR' shaped coil is cataloged as the: RC13 DD Coil, and the newer 5½" round DD coil is the: RC13E DD Coil.

The last I noted both sizes were still being offered through the USA Distributor, but it seems like there is a recent 'trend' for many to seek the 'OOR' shaped search coil. Maybe it looks more 'fashionable' to some folks, but the in-the-field performance of the two is just about indistinguishable, and I personally kind of prefer the newer round 5½" DD coil on my models. I would like to see an RC13 E Con. being offered to have a Concentric coil in that housing size, but until then either of these smaller DD coils provide exceptional and virtually identical performance in dense iron littered sites.

Monte

Thank you Monte. That sure clears it all up! I am nothing but amazed with the performance of my Racer 2.. I haven't really tried the small coil yet, other than putting it on very briefly, but every is telling me that it's a mind blower!

it comes to hunting in and around dense brush, metal structures, heavily littered sites, and especially most iron infested places where I spend at least 85-90% of all my detecting time. The 'secret' is not just learning how the Racer 2 works and mastering the various settings and sweep technique/coil presentation, but making sure you have one of the smaller-size coils mounted. Take your pick between the 'original' smaller Racer coil, the 'OOR' design, or the newer and current offering, the round-shaped 5½" DD, they are both excellent coils to complement the Racer 2 performance in all sorts of challenging conditions.

hrefab said:
Thank you Monte. That sure clears it all up! I am nothing but amazed with the performance of my Racer 2.. I haven't really tried the small coil yet, other than putting it on very briefly, but every is telling me that it's a mind blower!
You need to try it, and remember not to be sweeping too quickly, especially in rocky conditions or in severe mineralization or dense trash. Just use a 'comfortable' slow and methodical sweep, overlapping at least 50%, and you're going to find targets that have been masked from detection by many/most other detectors.

I wish you lived close enough and were able to come join a bunch of metal detecting adventurists next Thursday-thru-Sunday on our WTHO to search at least six ghost town sites out of Wells, Nevada. It's just an open invitation to anyone and I can guarantee many participants are going to go home with some rewarding and pleasing keepers from this outing, just like they did on the last two outings.

I can also guarantee you that many attendees will be working a Makro Racer or Racer 2 with a smaller-size coil, or a sister company Nokta FORS CoRe, Gold + or Relic, also with the smaller-than-stock search coil. The Nokta/Makro Detector users were present last May, and we saw at least double the number of Nokta/Makro users attend in September, and we also had 3 more than the number who made it out in May. I will NOT be surprised to see at least a half-dozen FORS series models in use and probably at least 10 Racer-series models put to work as well.

Monte

Monte

I did give the small coil a try tonight and while it did perform quite well in separating out target from trash, I was rather disappointed with the depth or lack of it that it exhibited. (I made a post about it on the forum so I won't repeat here). Perhaps you could take a look at that post and comment. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or have the wrong settings, but I did do as you said and slowed my swing down quite a lot and overlapped on known targets and couldn't get below 5"... Open to advice as always.

Thanks

I had the Red Racer with the 4.5x5 coil and I now have the Racer 2 with the 4.5x5 and found in both cases they were just what one would expect. They have good separation because the detecting pattern is small but like all small coils the price is depth. Don't know why anyone would expect anything different from this machine?

Not complaining, just questioning. I had read some posts claiming that the depth would blow me away... Well, 5 inches didn't blow me away and I was wondering if perhaps I was doing something wrong. I've since been informed that the depth is correct for that coil and that it's the separation that makes it a valuable tool. I don't usually use small coils so I'm not very familiar with their performance. As long as the coil is operating properly, I'm pleased. Having had that validated by people WITH experience with the coil in question is what these forums are for and why we ask questions.

Thanks

depends on a lot of things like with everything detecting there is no right or wrong answer just the closest to the one we might need :blink:

sure it can get better depth than 5" but you would have to have optimal conditions !!

its why I night hunt a lot its better.

AJ

I think the proof is in the finds. I've been hunting the same places for 40+ years now and I can confidently say it takes a detector with a difference to make any good finds at some of these places. Last year when I first got my Racer 2 I took it with a buddy to and old fort site absolutely hunted to death. It's not a big area so coverage has been well done. My first hunt there and I pull a 1835 half dime just under the surface. Not in some out of the way spot, but in an area we consistently hunt and in fact have to walk past every time we come and go. This is my second coin from here. The last being a 1839 half dime over 30 years ago.

I cannot say without a doubt it was thanks to the Racer 2, but I have also pulled many buttons and balls from the same stomped grounds all with the Racer 2.

I have owned them all from the Deus to CTX 3030 and each has show it's worth. The Racer 2 has shown it's worth and I now have sold all but my Racer 2 and the E-Trac.

Last Summer, I sold off my long time e-trac intending to buy a ctx-3030 and never pulled the trigger on the 3030. Since then, I have been spinning the merry-go-round of used detectors trying a few things and retrying a few older things. After several months of indecision, I felt like it was time to MAKE a decision. I have a Racer 2 on the way and I have to say I'm looking forward to it.

Many of the private yards I hunt have already been hunted a time or two. I have a few public places that I personally have hunted HARD for over 30 years, always going back hoping to find a coin or two. More often now walking away empty handed. So I need a little edge. I'm hoping this Racer 2 is that.

I'll keep you posted.

Rich (Utah)

you also get a smaller-size coil for it?

The Racer 2 is a really great detector and fills some spots in my personal arsenal, but gets most of the job done with a smaller-size coil. I use either the 'OOR' DD or the round 5½" DD the bulk of the time because, as you know, I hunt in very trashy sites. In areas that are more open [size=small](between this area of dense trash and that area of dense trash)[/size] these two coils can provide surprising depth-of-detection for their size.

I can grab any of my Regular-Use Detectors for any task I encounter, but for most 'Urban Coin Hunting' with a Target ID detector, my preference is using my Makro Racer 2 or Nokta Impact. Both of them, with a smaller-size coil mounted, are used most often, and should I want more open-area coverage I lean towards the Impact with the standard 7X11 DD coil.

ALL of my 'Regular-Use' detectors can work very well for different Coin & Jewelry Hunting or Relic Hunting applications. On some of them I just leave a specific search coil assigned, such as my Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX and Mojave, and never plan to swap them around, but on others I learned where I have a preferred detector and specific coil assignment when I go to a mid-size or larger-size. I know you have thinned your arsenal a bit, and I really think you'll like the Racer 2 once you get to know it and are comfortable with it, I just hope you have, or plan to get, a smaller-size coil.

Hope to see you soon, even possibly before the May WTHO if I get down that direction. I'll see if you still have any interest in, or room for, another unit that is in the oldie-but-goodie category. :thumbup: I mounted a brown 8" coil and it works quite well.

Let us know what you think of the Racer 2 after a week of in-the-field use after you get it.

Monte

and I have lots of anticipation in getting to know this Racer 2. It's a bit of a change from my etrac.

I didn't pick up a small coil immediately with the Racer 2 purchase as my initial thought is to see how I like the detector before I invest any significant $$ on accessories. However, after deliberating on some of your and Gregg's NBPT'ing I thought it would be prudent to have pick up a small coil sooner than later. I decided to pick up a CORS 5" coil for it. Racer 2 should be here Monday and the coil not far behind that. Gregg has some spare-spares available as well that I may need as I get further down the road.

Just as a heads up, I still have the time off I scheduled for the original April WTHO hunt. Could be a good hunting weekend.

Rich -

Monte said:
you also get a smaller-size coil for it?

The Racer 2 is a really great detector and fills some spots in my personal arsenal, but gets most of the job done with a smaller-size coil. I use either the 'OOR' DD or the round 5½" DD the bulk of the time because, as you know, I hunt in very trashy sites. In areas that are more open [size=small](between this area of dense trash and that area of dense trash)[/size] these two coils can provide surprising depth-of-detection for their size.

I can grab any of my Regular-Use Detectors for any task I encounter, but for most 'Urban Coin Hunting' with a Target ID detector, my preference is using my Makro Racer 2 or Nokta Impact. Both of them, with a smaller-size coil mounted, are used most often, and should I want more open-area coverage I lean towards the Impact with the standard 7X11 DD coil.

ALL of my 'Regular-Use' detectors can work very well for different Coin & Jewelry Hunting or Relic Hunting applications. On some of them I just leave a specific search coil assigned, such as my Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX and Mojave, and never plan to swap them around, but on others I learned where I have a preferred detector and specific coil assignment when I go to a mid-size or larger-size. I know you have thinned your arsenal a bit, and I really think you'll like the Racer 2 once you get to know it and are comfortable with it, I just hope you have, or plan to get, a smaller-size coil.

Hope to see you soon, even possibly before the May WTHO if I get down that direction. I'll see if you still have any interest in, or room for, another unit that is in the oldie-but-goodie category. :thumbup: I mounted a brown 8" coil and it works quite well.

Let us know what you think of the Racer 2 after a week of in-the-field use after you get it.

Monte

probably in better ways overall. I generally prefer a slow-sweep, methodical coil presentation to deal with all conditions, and with only a few exceptions I have preference for a rounder-shaped search coil compared with an elliptical design. There are exceptions. On the Racer 2 it makes little difference to me if I mount the round 5½" DD or the just slightly 'Out-Of-Round' shaped 'OOR' DD. I believe the CORE is the same as the NEL, and if so then that round 5" will perform like Gregg's NEL Sharp 5" DD and that was very acceptable performance.

You could pick a Makro 'OOR', 5½" round, or a NEL / CORE 5" round DD coil and have just what you need in performance for those really dense iron trashed townsites that await us. Really very comparable performance overall. I keep either of the Makro coils attached to my Racer 2, a 5½" round DD on my main-use Nokta FORS Relic and the 'OOR' DD on my Nokta FORS CoRe. The 4X7¾ DD stays on my Nokta Impact. Because I work in debris fields more than open, clean sites, smaller coils are a #1 pick and then in low-to-modest trash [size=small](especially a lot of iron nails)[/size] I opt for a mid-sized coil.

I keep a 5½X10 Concentric on a 2nd Nokta FORS Relic I bought just for that coil to be ready-for-use. I could mount a same-size DD on the Racer 2 or FORS CoRe, and I saw on the Nokta website where they plan to have a 5X9 open DD for the Impact. Most likely that match-up would be my personal 2nd mid-sized coil option of my current detector battery.

For those fewer opportunities to use a 'standard' size search coil when I take on a wide-open environment with few metal targets that are well spaced to reduced good-target masking, there are only five models in my Regular-Use Detector Battery I care to use a standard coil on. My best guess is that after working the Racer 2 for an ample to to learn it and master its strengths, you're going to also use a smaller-size or mid-sized coil most of the time. I'll send you an e-mail later today after I'm home from church to share some personal thoughts on search coils with you.

I'll also check my accessory gear and see if I have a spare lower rod, in case you might want one for the extra Racer 2 coil. Congrats on getting a Racer 2. :clapping: One of the better detectors on the market today as far as I am concerned.

Monte

Congrats Rich on the Racer 2. Down the road after getting to know the machine and if you decide it's for you and you want to keep it, I would say getting the 5.5 x 10 coil would be a next step. It is a great coil to have in your arsenal.