Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Colonial period object. (formerly miss posted in the beginner forum.

1859large

Not a gun part although it does resemble one.

I found this in a site that dates back to 1700 and was abandoned about 1930. Literally in a berry patch and not very deep. It gave good non-ferrous indications with numbers in the mid 20s to mid 30s on my Xterra 70.

There is some riveted copper sheet on the one end and the hole is not centered on the brass. The rivet looks like brass. It is a heay casting with what looks like residual black paint on it. A UK site calls it part of a brass candle stick holder or possibly part of a tankard. It seems very awkward to hold in either case.

So what do you think, or can you find a photo of an object with this handle, trigger guard, tankard or candle stick.

thanks & HH

IMO that is an old finger latch for an old door handle, pull with the index finger rather that push with a thumb like a thumb latch. I will see I I can find a photo.

If you look at the photo in the link below you may be able to see the same latch principals at work, only on this latch the thumb is used rather than IMO the index finger on the one that you have posted:

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/core/media/media.nl?id=157647&c=411534&h=4fb2dbab99a471ff6336

We had latches like that at my parents summer cabin. They where modern made, black, just like the one on the right in your picture.

I must admit there are a lot of similar features.

This is the site where they called it a candlestick part or possibly a tankard handle. (It is not a very comfortable handle either way.) It seems wrong either way.

They gave it a date of 1750 -1800. They are the UK finds database.

http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/495026

This is what happens when the government gets involved, experts look at all the old finds and identify them. If they decide it is treasure they keep it but pay full value to the finder and the landowner, 50/50.

My find was not in the UK but in a colony on this side of the ocean before becoming a nation in 1834.

Whatever THEY have on their website is definitely the same thing that you have. I overlayed both and straightened out theirs since it looks bent in half to match yours.

Click link below to view.....
Animated image