Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Couple of Tejon Finds... One-Way Signals

kittlitz

Last year, I got permission to hunt the yard of house which was being renovated off and on by its owner. With the Mojave, I found two of our Canadian large cents, a small silver earring and a small toy soldier. I then re-hunted the yard with my CTX and its 6" DD coil, but didn't find anything else of note.

This year, having sold the CTX to buy more Tesoros, I re-obtained permission and decided to hunt the yard with my Tejon and the 6" concentric coil. I got a high conductive signal, but it only sounded off when sweeping East-West. I dug it anyway, and it turned out to be a 1953 penny with a nail nearby. Soon after, I got another conductive signal that was also "one way". I figured I'd better dig it, and 51/2 inches down there was a 1920 large cent in good condition. Made my day! Like the 1953 cent, there was some junk metal nearby.

I also found this "safe driver" pin from the National Safety Council. I can't remember the specifics of the signal, only that I was quite intrigued to find it. Turns out they're pretty common, but I think this is one of the older variants.

I often ignore signals that only sound off in one sweep direction, but I guess they're worth digging if you're in an area that could produce older goodies.

(Apologies for the rotated photos... couldn't figure out how to correct that.)

-Ken

I have a bad habit of not digging targets that only sound off one direction but it depends where I'm hunting . Nice finds .

Nice finds and thanks for the tip on one way signals.

Ron in WV

In some hunting environments or if dealing with dense iron debris, some detectors just don't work too well, and in this case it seems your CTX went elsewhere so you could acquire a more favorable detector. :thumbup:

You made a smart choice to equip it with the excellent 6" Concentric coil, too.:thumbup:

Nice results on that hunt, and even though they kept making Large Cents in Canada a lot longer than they did here in the USA, we still encounter them at times, and I enjoy finding those down here. Nice find on the Safe Driver pin. Always nice to find interesting non-coins that aren't junk. :thumbup:

Nice reminder you gave readers to investigate single-direction 'Beeps' too. I've made it a point to recover one-direction hits for many decades as I learned early on that nearby masking trash or other things can prohibit a two-direction response. It all goes back to how we find things in the first place .... "Beep-DIG!"

We have all heard that phrase used many times, and it's even part of this renamed Forum. You've heard it, I've heard it, and countess readers, especially Tesoro fans, have heard it. And for those who are believers and know it is true, remember this ...... It does NOT read, and you seldom will hear someone say ... "Beep-Beep-DIG!"

It only takes ONE Beep to alert us there's a potentially good target below.

Monte

I always think back to a certain find I made years back regarding "one way" directional signals. I had permission to hunt around an old farm site and was using the original Bandido II with 8" white concentric coil. I found my first Indian Head, Buffalo nickel and some very early wheats at this farm site. On one hunt I was getting a one way direction signal that had the text-book solid hit sound...but swinging the other direction it was virtually silent. This type of signal really got my curiosity up and after digging turned out to be a 1907 V-nickel (my first!) lying close to a 3" bolt. Sometimes you just never know till you dig! Nice saves by investigating!

After a lot of testing with the Equinox, I’m thinking your one way targets are coins on edge. Try them on your coil.

Monte as usual is 100% right on this. I too have made it a habit to dig one way signals. Invariably they are a result of angle and or masking.

The coin on edge possibility is interesting... I've done some air tests with a coin on edge and found that I do usually get a two-way signal, but the two signals aren't in the same exact spot. They seem offset from one another by a couple of inches.

I'm sure there are lots of variables in the field, but if you get a one-way signal while swinging East-West, and another close by while swinging North-South, it might be a coin on edge.

-Ken