Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Day Late And A Dollar Short

jimmyk

Just finished spending seven plus hours hunting an older large house that's at least 75 years old. Found 134 coins. Four Wheat pennies and no silver coins. I live in an older town founded when the trains came through over 100 years ago. Size of 1000 population. I live in the older part of town with a mix of older an newer houses. The past six weeks I've hunted five yards of homes 75 to 100 years old and have yet to dig a silver coin. Dug a lot of clad. I'm guessing that they had previously hunted in the '80s and '90s. Hard to believe they got it all, but the good stuff has been hard to find. I did a lot of yard hunting in the '80s myself and found a lot of silver, so I guess that's what I'm up against. I've only lived in this town for four years and have never seen another detectorist. Hopefully I'll find a yard or two that hasn't been previously hunted.

jimmyk in Missouri

Lots of reasons....... targets get covered up over the years by leaves, rain settles targets, roots move them..... ect....... and sometimes home get added onto and they just spread the dirt. Thats something you should be paying attention to when digging......whats the soil looking like. I used to hunt old homes....... but never the ones still standing just because of that ...... and all the modern trash. I used old Atlas with buildings and ROADS that were no long there....most of the time in a farmers field. Amazing what those sites would produce... not only coins.... but ole marbles and glass.

I was a hunting in a trashy park (one side is aluminum and the opther side is HEAVY iron) I have killed yesterday with the stock 11" coil on a EQ600. In trash, I use Park 2 with sensitivity around 15 or sometimes lower. I had a pretty mixed hit and got taco shaped bottle cap. After I got the cap out of the hole and rescanned I had a 4 quarter spill in the same hole that was a little deeper and they all showed up as 29/30 AFTER I got the bottle cap out of the way. With the bottle cap in the hole is was just a jumble of numbers that sometimes hit 30.

One piece of aluminum or iron can really screw up the tones and TID on a nearby coin, especially with a bigger coil. If you have the 6" coil I would recommend going back with that. Also, turn down the sensitivity in trashy yards. With the 6" coil I can run as low as 7 in park 2 and do pretty well. For some reason, Park 2 is still pretty deep even with lower sensitivity. With the sensitivity down I find it quits down as it is not picking up nails that are 12" deep. After you clean things out. . . then maybe go back and search deep.

I would also wonder if coins were masking other coins. In my experience, a trashed zinc penny will can pretty well hide a Quarter unless you hit it from exactly the right angle, especially with the larger coils.

Just curious. In this particular yard are things uniform as far as depth? Are the older coins deeper? Are older coins showing up closer to trees? This might help determine if any work has been done to the yard in the past.

CS