Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Direct Question To Minelab On Facebook About CTX 3030 Updates!

Altamaha

Found the Facebook page for Minelab & decided to ask them a question directly! It will be interesting to see if they even answer!

Hi Minelab;

I am a long time user of Minelab Metal Detectors , also an electronics engineer by profession (very knowledgeable about Micro Processor design & programming).

I have owned every Explorer, The E-Trac and now the "Future Proof (lol)" Minelab CTX 3030. My question (and many customers have the same one) is why did Minelab LIE to customers about updates/upgrades for this (CTX 3030) detector? Was this only to sell the machine? A lot of us think so!

It has been 3 1/2 years now since the release of the CTX 3030 with countless hours of use by customers who have requested software changes to improve the machine (more bins, status bar readability,etc) to name a few! Yet Minelab has found the time to develop/release at least 5 new machines, but no time it seems to write/change the micro code to effect some of the requested improvements to the CTX 3030. Is this because you have our money already?

Software updates/upgrades/fixes for micro coded/controlled devices is a standard practice in todays' world and I was very pleased to see Minelab taking the lead in this regard as relates to metal detectors, but now many of us are starting to believe that this was only a ploy by Minelab to sell the machine. I surely hope not!

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

Guys we love your innovations relating to metal detector technology, but seriously you need to start listning to your loyal customers!

Way to go man. Looks like prescedence for a "Class Action" suit in order.
All it takes is the implication of coming upgrades to "enhance pricing and sales" to meet
requirements for a class action suit. I'm in.

Your not going to get an answer to that. It's a valid point but not the way to ask. Why would they respond to something written like that?
Agree with your points but not happening

Facebook is like a river, stuff just floats by, some folks notice-some don't - and it's gone. Can you point us to the Facebook page you are referring to?

That''s why for fact based stuff as well as firmly held opinion, I stick to forums.

On the other hand, on Facebook you have to use your real name, that slows down a lot of the mudslinging which goes on on Forums where most folks wish to remain anonymous.

I always take anonymous posts less seriously than posts folks are willing to put their name on.

CT Todd said:
Your not going to get an answer to that. It's a valid point but not the way to ask. Why would they respond to something written like that?
Agree with your points but not happening

You're probably correct Todd, but thats just the problem, some businesses just don't seem to understand that the customer is king and shouldn't have to bow down to get them to do what they promise or stand by their products. The only reason they act in such a way is because their customers allow it to continue by purchasing their products, to each his own. Your justification for them probably not answering just doesn't square since they have been requested by numerous customers on this very forum for updates and they still haven't responded! What's with that? Remember, this is nothing new with Minelab, they have a history of acting this way (some say they're getting better) towards their customers, so I don't think that it has anything to do with how they are asked!

JMHO, HH

I was only speaking of the way you wrote to them not other attempts. You can't use sarcasm and call them liars and expect an answer. It just won't work and I repeat I agree with you.They put it out there and forgot about it.

It is certainly a legitimate question! Don't hold your breath for an answer! I don't consider Minelab one of the great corporate communicators.

I don't own any Nokta equipment, but, I do admire their efforts at keeping the detecting community up to date on their products.

Minelab's newest gold nugget machine, the $10,000.00 GPZ 7000, has only been on the market a short time, yet, it already has a software update available for download! :thumbdown:

For what is is worth.
Yes, I love my CTX and everything it does.
I do not regret purchasing it and having fun with it.
Minelab has taken care of my failed coil, and failed main unit while under warranty in reasonable timing.

However, once it dies and is nothing more than spare parts to sell and keep someone else's CTX working, I will be done with buying new from Minelab.
The potential in future software updates that Minelab boasted to help sell the CTX has turned into a flop.
Clearly there hasn't been anything spectacular about that topic in the past few years that I could brag about to the next guy looking to buy a new CTX.

So, if and when my CTX croaks (knock on wood), I will most likely look into the Whites detectors again.
While still owning the two Whites in my siggy below, I have had a great relationship with Whites and their products since 1998.
There factory is only 2 hours away from me, and they have the BEST local customer service hands down.

Minelab lured me in once with great expectations, and I purchased the CTX.
And even though I love the CTX, I completely despise the deceitful illusion of what was pitched by Minelab in doing so.

Its been said! :thumbdown:

CT Todd said:

I agree CT Todd. I understand people's hopes for some of the recommended "upgrades" to be made. I have them too. But as far as Minelab lying or breaking any promises to the customers.....the brochure says: "With the CTX 3030 you can now upgrade your detector software – simply connect to the internet and XChange 2 to download the latest version." Guess what.......we can. If a dealer or another detecorist told you something else, that's not Minelab. In my opinion, and as I've stated many times in the past, upgrades and updates are two different issues. Granted, there haven't been any upgrades for several years. But updates have been addressed in a timely manner. JMHO

Digger said:
I agree CT Todd. I understand people's hopes for some of the recommended "upgrades" to be made. I have them too. But as far as Minelab lying or breaking any promises to the customers.....the brochure says: "With the CTX 3030 you can now upgrade your detector software – simply connect to the internet and XChange 2 to download the latest version." Guess what.......we can. If a dealer or another detecorist told you something else, that's not Minelab. In my opinion, and as I've stated many times in the past, upgrades and updates are two different issues. Granted, there haven't been any upgrades for several years. But updates have been addressed in a timely manner. JMHO

So, to fulfill that advertised requirement was to simply leave out the very FEW software tweaks from the original software release and then leave it alone from there.
What about those that have purchased the CTX 3030 in the past year that should already come with the latest software "upgrades", when does Minelab plan to fulfill that claim with them?

An "upgrade" to the software implies there will be an actual upgrade. Why am I wrong thinking this?

INSAYN said:
So, to fulfill that advertised requirement was to simply leave out the very FEW software tweaks from the original software release and then leave it alone from there.
What about those that have purchased the CTX 3030 in the past year that should already come with the latest software "upgrades", when does Minelab plan to fulfill that claim with them?

An "upgrade" to the software implies there will be an actual upgrade. Why am I wrong thinking this?

First off, I don't work for Minelab, nor do my posts necessarily represent their thoughts. I simply state my opinions, as do many others on here. With that in mind, the "few software tweaks" that you mention had nothing to do with upgrades. They were updates to correct an issue with Seawater stability and an issue with the Li-Ion battery operation. Those that purchased their CTX prior to these issues being resolved were allowed to "update" their detectors (via the internet and XChange2) to include those software "tweaks". It wasn't necessary for those that purchased their CTX after those "tweaks" were made available because the "tweaks"were installed during manufacturing. An upgrade would be required to enhance the operational functionality, not simply address a technical issue. What the brochure says is that those upgrades can be done over the internet, using XChange 2. And based on what I understand about the technical abilities of the CTX and XChange 2, they can be. However, for reasons not communicated to me or others outside of Minelab, as of today, there have been no upgrades made available to the CTX. When they are made available, you will be able to implement them into your CTX over the internet. So........ I don't think you are "wrong thinking". I just think you are (like many others) wondering when upgrades will be made available. And that question can only be answered by Minelab. JMO HH Randy

Tomatoe-Tomoto-right-wrong-reality vs technicality++++I got the new version with the Seawater option.
So, I won't get any upgrades-updates-etc.+++Like others have done in the past, I'll continue to sell and
buy. Never had an issue with Minelab but have with Garrett. Garrett didn't change words. Got a brand
new pinpointer cause my old one was "disturbed". Got a new 5x8 coil because of short in the wiring.
Told me to keep the old defective items. That's customer service. I like my CTX but rest assured, along
with the Safari that I like, their days are numbered. The AT Pro has a home.

I agree, the marketing small talk does lead one to believe that updates would be forthcoming. I think 99 percent of early CTX buyers were thinking the same way. Reality is reality. Minelab did drop the ball on yhis and will lose longtime customers because of it. How hard is it to make code changes, provided the processor can handle it.

Great machine but definitly not worth the MONEY for most
and all the war stories on LEAKING!!! Minelab is in it
for the money which I understand but has failed us long time
users lately.... Used an XS for years and sold it for the 3030.
Should have kept the XS,she was DEEP!!!
silverseeker 2

Digger said:
First off, I don't work for Minelab, nor do my posts necessarily represent their thoughts. I simply state my opinions, as do many others on here. With that in mind, the "few software tweaks" that you mention had nothing to do with upgrades. They were updates to correct an issue with Seawater stability and an issue with the Li-Ion battery operation. Those that purchased their CTX prior to these issues being resolved were allowed to "update" their detectors (via the internet and XChange2) to include those software "tweaks". It wasn't necessary for those that purchased their CTX after those "tweaks" were made available because the "tweaks"were installed during manufacturing. An upgrade would be required to enhance the operational functionality, not simply address a technical issue. What the brochure says is that those upgrades can be done over the internet, using XChange 2. And based on what I understand about the technical abilities of the CTX and XChange 2, they can be. However, for reasons not communicated to me or others outside of Minelab, as of today, there have been no upgrades made available to the CTX. When they are made available, you will be able to implement them into your CTX over the internet. So........ I don't think you are "wrong thinking". I just think you are (like many others) wondering when upgrades will be made available. And that question can only be answered by Minelab. JMO HH Randy

Yup, Digger we are on the same page. I know you are not affiliated with Minelab other than owning a detector of the brand.
Would be nice if Minelab would "surprise" us soon with something really good. And if said upgrade was really an upgrade that most users fine useful, then
I am sure the CTX would have some bragging rights to support the initial cost. This would help us support sales by word of mouth.

lytle78 said:
Facebook is like a river, stuff just floats by, some folks notice-some don't - and it's gone. Can you point us to the Facebook page you are referring to?

That''s why for fact based stuff as well as firmly held opinion, I stick to forums.

On the other hand, on Facebook you have to use your real name, that slows down a lot of the mudslinging which goes on on Forums where most folks wish to remain anonymous.

I always take anonymous posts less seriously than posts folks are willing to put their name on.

https://www.facebook.com/MinelabMetalDetectors

Altamaha, HH

I like my ctx but reading a lot of war stories on here makes me feel like I holding a ticking bomb, warranty is run out and well they charge like wounded bulls out of warranty and that scares me, if something happens that's going to cost several hundreds of $ then its a bin job and tossing 2.5 K in the bin could prove very painful.

so mine is on a short leash.

AJ

I followed the link above, but couldn't see altamaha's post. Did they remove it?don't know if a Facebook "owner" can do that.

lytle78 said:
I followed the link above, but couldn't see altamaha's post. Did they remove it?don't know if a Facebook "owner" can do that.

Hi Rick;

It's still there (down a bit), on the left side under visitors' posts!

Altamaha, HH