Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A discussion came up recently and i'd like your input. How deep have you found a dime? Please be honest :)

Found a dime once at 22 inches then discovered it was probably at 3 inches but kept falling into the hole as I dug d;^)

Gets a Nickel at 8" and Quarter at 12" in the wet sand.

Looks like the T2 might do even better.

Sorry I've missed all the posts as I've had a few days away testing the T2 v the Matrix M6.
14 inches on a coin with no I.D. Fine I can agree with that as the cartwheel penny is a huge pure copper coin (one oz.in weight?) anyway as big as a pocket watch.
Latest post on the beach forum for the Excaliber is 22 inches on a dime.
Now as my detecting partner and myself have Deepstar I, Deepstar 2, Goldquest, Goldquest SS, Fisher Cz, Whites DFX and XLT, Discovery Treasure Baron, Arado 120b, Fieldmaster, XP Goldmaxx (the machine that ruined sales of the Shadow X5) and a few old classic machines why can't we get anywhere near the depths quoted above on medium ground (hot ground being where its difficult to detect a coin at or just under the surface).
My limited time spent detecting the East coast of America turned up many Spanish and Portuguese cobs (photo on the gometaldetecting forum). With the depths being claimed for non P.I. machines there should be nothing left. Tom Dankowski at the time was claiming a faintest possible signal on a Mercury (1928 or 29 dime) of 9.5 inches with a CZ6a in an area that was virtually mineral free. The slightest mineralisation or, as he found out at the time just a paper staple under the coil, reduced the depth of detection to 3 inches.

Anyone who says they can detect a Dime at 22" is, well, misinformed.

Why don't you give us an idea of what depth the detectors you mention are ca[able of in your test garden?

You need to realize that we don't have as much iron trash as you do over there with your long history...

When I was at cocco beach a few years ago,I remember mthe first thing I dug was a nickel.It was in the wet sand,sounded good and was at least 12" down.The multi freq machines do excell at the beach,that i've seen for myself.DAve

That wasn't my point. I totally agree about the multi-frequency machines. You said you've never used a single freq machine that can detect over 4.5" and I said I've got one that can. :)

I need to get to the beach more often, though. Have found loads of coins and plated gold. Not the real stuff, though.

I've only used a few and seen a few others.None worked that good on saltwater beaches.8 inches is very good for a single freq on a beach.

That's one of the reasons I was able to get rid of the Exploding machine. :)

I traded it for another X5 right after we hunted together and have never looked back.

This park has some tough ground in it, but the coin metered right on for ID and depth, good-solid signal. It was a 1904 Barber in AU condition.

I haven't found any old silver dimes really deep yet... either there hasn't been deep coins where I've hunted or else I haven't had a machine that's deep enough, though I have been using a Tejon lately... have found some nice Mercs with it, but no more than about 4" deep so far.

Interesting thread!

Skillet

I had a dime come in crystal clear(and I mean loud, like on top of the ground) between 10"-11" once. I was detecting at my towns golf course in the fall the year before last and came across a signal. Rick(ND) was with me at the time and I had him come over and check it out before I dug it. He went over the target and tells me that I was playing around with him, that I placed a new dime under the grass so he couldn't see it. I told Rick to take a look at his depth meter and he was shocked! He was using the Joey Coil at the time and could get the signal like it was on top of the ground. Anyways, I dug down and about 10"-11" was a 1891 seated dime in VF-EF condition. All I know is that the dime had to have a heck of a halo to be that loud and I haven't found a dime with that kind of response as of yet. I am using the Explorer XS if you would like to know. When I say haven't found one, that just means the crystal clear signal I got. I find them usually starting to break up that deep or only get it one way instead of both ways when I swing my coil over it back and forth.

do you see how rarely this happens? Again, the general point of my post, was to show that you seldom get a clearly defined ID on a dime at 9" and below. It's usually the fact that you know your detector, that gets you these deep dimes!

You said it! If you don't know the machine, then you are not going to find those elusive deep dimes or what have you.

n/t