Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A discussion came up recently and i'd like your input. How deep have you found a dime? Please be honest :)

Please let us know so we won't find anything deeper. :lol:

Give us a chart.

You might be surprised at how deep we can find stuff down here in Florida.

For years I have heard about the super deep coin finds perople get. Here, like I said, as far as a properly ID'd dime, 9" is barely possible.
If I just dig probable signals, based on experience, I find coins at all kinds of depths, but not past about 11" and that's just guesswork.
DIMES, still 9-10" even without proper id and just a good guess.
I have also hunted in many other states- Alabama, Tenn, Ga, California, Nevada, Washington, N.C. NY, and others. From what I could see, the depth ability, with proper id was even worse! Minerialization and hot rocks and black sand!!!!
I have no idea about the UK though?

You need to understand what you just said Chuck.A lot of guys don't.If your depth meter says 8-10" and your tone says foil-nickel.You have to understand that it may be a target that would read 70-80 if it were only 1-5" down.Whenever I sweep over something that sounds like a nickel and is over 7" deep,I pretty much assume that it is a 65-85 target that's deep.That's probably about the only thing I really use the depth meter for.Dave

I have dug a coin called a farthing (small coin) with positive id at 8 - 9 inches easy with an xlt site eas an on an old cricket pitch. I have dug coins without id at 11 inches. I have heard of people over here (uk) digging cart wheel pennys without id at 14 inches with xlt's.
I use an explorer 2 and so far i have not pulled anything deeper than about 6 inches - i guess my hearing is going duff. :shrug:

My only merc was at about 6" and I found it with a BH Land Ranger. Found it in some park fill dirt around a gazebo. Found lots of silver and some gold jewelry but silver coins are far and few between in my part of the country. Jim

I believe you are an accomplished DFX user, a top of the line, expensive detector, that you know better than most know theirs! { I have read and learned from your DFX posts :) } Depth meters are a whole extra ballgame! Each one affected in different ways by ground condition and overall, not terribly reliable.
What you are saying, is, once again, an expert detectorist KNOWING what to look and listen for. My post was specified for the "average" detectorist and mentioned either tone or meter positive ID. Also, specifically on a dime. I don't doubt that many detectorists, experienced with the use of "most" any detector of quality, can make a pretty good guess, when to dig. I'm sure you are one of them! That just wasn't the point I was making. It's POSITIVE ID ON A DIME 9" or more in depth, that I question. Positive, because the detector clearly says so, to any average [not newbie] user.
Anyway- Hi :) How ya doin' ?? :)

posted statement? Surely you are not taking the position that if someone does not find a dime at nine inches or more, they are only considered to have average skills in the use of a metal detector? Kelley (Texas) :)

Been doin good.First time I can remember hunting in Feb.Found a few Barber dimes in Dec,2 1800 large cents last week and another barber dime two weeks ago.All a bonus as far as i'm concerned.Think we were shut down up here last winter from Nov. through May.As far as your dime goes,i would seay the vdis start to drop after about 7".I really don't pay them much attention.The tones are so good on the dfx that i can pretty much tell what's under the coil by it's size and tone.As far as the depth meter goes,you don't really need one to tell if somethings deep.Just raise the coil off the ground 2-3" and see what the signal sounds like.GUys need to get of the vdi thing.Most places have been pounded for years.Most of the easy targets are gone.Most of the older better coins are lying on edge or are being masked by trash or are deeper.Any of the above will drop the vdis.But that sweet tone will remain.IF IT SOUNDS GOOD,DIG IT,is my motto.I'm not going to leave something in the ground that sounds like a silver quarter because the vdi reads 79 instead of 84.There could be a nickel lying on top of it.Anyways,hope all is well down there,about to get cold up here again,burr.DAve

I think he means that a lot of guys rely on their meter too much.A dime at 9" that is lying alone may read much lower on the meter and only produce a good tone every 1 out of 3 swings.Most guys will pass those signals up.

have used a metal detector without a meter for many years and have a habit of digging most deep signals out of habit.

Many areas where I hunt, most coins are only six or seven inches deep, then you hit bed rock.

Only recently have I started using a "meter type" metal detector, a White's 6000 XL Pro and a 6000 Di Pro SL. I still rely first on the actual signal from the target, and then only use the meter as an additional tool...however, old habits of just about digging everything still prevails.

I am finding this "meter" subject both interesting and educational. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

The average detectorist, is the guy who hunts occasionally on weekends sometimes, if he doesn't golf or fish or play tennis. I guess those I would consider above average, hunt much more regularly, take learning the sound of targets more seriously and end up being an above average detectorist? You see them posting info and finds daily.

about 50% or more of the targets your detector sees at all! At least part way down, until you can get a better reading.
Thing is: The "average" detectorist won't or can't do that. My point was that if you want dimes beyond 9" start listening for and looking at more than good tones and locked on meter readings. :)
I just didn't want to post my thinking alone, I wanted guys like Dave and the other "seasoned" {above average :) } detectorists views in the discussion too.
I wish I could dig 6" and hit bedrock!!!! I hit 4 feet more of sand!!! :(

and the working Joe is the average detectorist :rofl:

That means I still got 22 more years of average detecting :rage: and here I was thinking I was getting better :blowup:

:detecting:

Deepest dime I've dug so far was about the 8" mark with my CoinStrike. However instead of reading 28 like a normal dime would, it read in the low 40's with a good lock on. Small sweet high tone signal but I didn't have a clue what was coming out the ground until I got down to it. As I started digging and moving dirt the ID numbers started dropping down into the 30s.

Do I have some ground or what?

Happy CoinStriking :detecting:

that puts me in with the average bunch! Certainly, the amount of time a person has to become adept at whatever interest they have, can make a lot of difference!
I'm a contractor, so I just give myself whatever time I want-I usually can anyway! :)
I have a C$ that will be arriving tomorrow, that I just did a detector trade for. Got any tips to get me started off?
I had one once before, when they 1st came out, but it was a bit erratic, so maybe I had a bad coil or something???

I'm suprised you opted for a single freq machine.I know when I used the DFX and the Czs down there,that 10-12" on coins at the beach were no problem.Never used a single freq machine that got over 4-5" on the beach.

Too slow and you don't get a good id lock and you'll see alot of bounce. So don't be afraid to speed up your sweep. It won't take long to figure it out.

Second, the closer you can keep the threshold to 0, the more depth you will get. Threshold affects depth more than sensitivity. So if you have to drop the sensitivity from 8 to 6 or 5 to get it stable and still keep a high threshold setting, you are going to bet better depth by doing so.

Third. Think of the negative Threshold setting as a VDI sensitivity adjustment. That will automatically remove alot of confusion around it and how to use it.

Fourth. Don't be afraid to lower your theshold setting when you need to. It works really good at killing iron falses, micro trash, ground chatter etc.

Fifth. On the deeper targets in my dirt, it tends to raise the numbers. It may be my high mineralization that causes this?

Fifth. Get some clear vinyl and cut out two sections that will overlay your faceplate. Use a hole punch and punch out six holes in a piece of the scrap vinyl and save the punchouts. Lay the first peice over the faceplate. Stack three punchouts over the menu button, and stack three punchouts over the pinpoint button. Then lay the second peice of vinyl over them and press it together. Static will keep it all together and you have just protected your faceplate and raised the profile of the two buttons you will be using the most. Makes it much more enjoyable and easy to use.

and last. Don't waste time digging numbers above 50. For me 51 is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep rusty iron that you will wear out digging, and 73 is major electical interference. or my pickup :rofl:

Happy CoinStriking :detecting: