Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Few Bullets More

MSG Hoff

Found a few more bullets today. .58 three ringers, .54 Sharps, .54 Merrill's, .54 Burnside (1), .51 Smith (two types), .44 Colt. Got a few splatters and one of the .54 Merrill's was cut right in half. JR

Nice, again, hope to see some of that at the hunt I'm going to next week.

That would be sweet. Of course, any brass would be nice..only been finding buttons on occasion. Something bigger I hope!
Where are you located?

I live in Pennsylvania, but I am down here in Virginia visiting my uncle. I am about 10 minutes away from where you will be hunting.

There are two hunts next weekend. one north east of orange and I'm not sure where the DIV hunt is. Ours is called the BMW hunt using the initials of the guys that organized it, 650 acres of camp ground. I've heard that the ground down there is ok in some spots and terrible in others.

Where you live in PA?

That is fantastic JR, I can imagine you are finding them at all depths, but what are you getting for depth and how bad is your ground? Any special settings for what I would have to assume is very mineralized ground?

They average between 7 and 10 inches. I think the ground is too hot to go any deeper. At the back of the property bullets can go 14", but I got most of those with the XLT and DFX. You have to work hours now to get a bullet. I was digging small pieces of nails today at the same depth 7-10 inches. Real impressed with that.

I run the Relic with a few modifications: Rx gain was at 5, Disc at 80 and All Metal at 70. LockTrack on. All Metal on. VCO off. Mixed mode off. Search Audio is All Metal. Higer sensitivity settings would cause erratic readings. Turning the Rx down low allows it to run very stable here in this hot ground.

In this area the XLT and DFX would not go any deeper than 6 inches (and that would be a large .58 three ringer), the ground is just too hot. A 1000 feet away at the back of the property you can run the Rx at 10 and the Disc and All metal much higher.

Last year I hunted the back of the property with the V3i until I found a deep bullet. It was 12" and I had no problem detecting it. I know I had the Rx at 10 but don't remember the other settings.

Are you getting standard vdi readout when you pick them up or are you going strictly off the all metal sound?

Thanks JR, that is the info many relic hunters are looking for......:thumbup:

I would not call it a standard readout but the bullets do produce a VDI reading anywhere from 0 to 95. I see a lot of them in the 70 to 80 range. I dug bullets today at 95vdi and no vdi reading.

A relic hunter down here told me "your detector will lie to you" so if it is a solid repeatable signal, I dig it.

Thats about what I run into here near Gettysburg. Seems any bullet over about 5 inches could come up as just about number on the scale. In my opinion the ground causes more problems with the "lower quality" metals than it does the higher grade stuff. I have gotten bad readings on bullets at 6" while in the same ground gotten a dead solid 83 on a large cent at 14". I've learned that all metal picks up targets well beyond what discrimination will and will use it next weekend to gain depth if the trash isn't too bad and the finds are good.
Thanks for the info!

I'm jealous.:devil: