Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few civil war bullets and some interesting settings

Bill_S

[size=medium]I was doing some testing in my yard with some civil war bullets that I had found before. I noticed on the ones buried deep (10 inches or more) they would hit in the 80's and 90's when I had the detector set on the 2.5 setting. I made a program that has everything from 69 to 95 accepted and the rest discriminated out. I set the frequency to 2.5 and left the tx boost off. I think I was running 12 rx gain and around 88 discrimination. I went to an area that will still give up a bullet or two but you have to work hard for them. I only had a short time to hunt and wanted to dig the targets that I thought were real deep and had potential to be good targets. I dug probably 4 holes around 12 inches or more deep but never could find the target. I got another deep signal but this time decided to use my pinpointer to see if it was something small on the surface. Sure enough it was a tack. Sounded just like a real deep target. I bet the other 4 holes were tiny targets on the surface too. Learned my lesson on that one. I was able to dig two bullets using those settings. Both were deep and hit in the high 80's or 90's. The two lighter colored ones (Bullet and round ball) were the ones I dug. The other one I dug today while coin hunting. It was masked by trash and the signal was jumping around but I decided to dig anyway.[/size]

Good to hear things went well. I had better luck with the 7.5 kHz for the bullets in my soil.

Civil War bullets came in around the 45 to 60 range in my ground hitting the hardest on the 7.5 frequency. When I got a 2.5 dominate target, I got excited thinking it had to be a coin which it was, a toasted LC. I love the three frequency mode.............:clapping:

i pounded out an old trashless river area in 3 freq and got lots of coins and two musket balls, same area in one day in 2.5 found 5 musket balls and a three ringer, all deep all at +80 up , checked with 3 freq and sounded bad. i was running 2.5 non normalized. not really looking for lead.

Most of the ground I've done ground probes on (man that don't even sound decent to say LOL) will show in the low -90s with significant signal loss. Single freq works best here. Since I relic hunt most of the time I have done quite a bit of testing. I've found the single freq of 7.5 to give the best response to the targets I'm after. The bad part here is that bullets beyond 6" will totally register as iron with an occasional bouncing into the positive range. The upswing to it was the V3i would average out the signal and would often start reading the bullets into the lower positive number scale. The numbers would be wrong but the depth would be real close. I no longer have the V3 BUT I assumed the VX3 would do the same on bullets. It doesn't. It wont average out the signal...stays iron and I'm trying to digress out how to conquer this obstacle. Thus far my only solution has been to run in all metal audio and speed the recovery rate to 40....which gives me enough audio to hear the double blip of most nails but am still digging lots of holes for other rusted iron.

Bill is your program running mixed mode? ROB

No. Havent got that far in the learning yet......;o) Just had it setup to use the 2.5 setting.

as i understand the vx3 always runs correlate in 3 freq , this probably affects deep iffy target response., single freq should act like the v3i , im guessing.