Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Friday morning Racer relic hunt (3/27/15)

Kevin B.

What wonderful weather this morning. In the 40's when I got started. Hunted about 2 hours. Part of that time was spent sitting on a dry log and solving all of the world's problems. Anyway.......here is what I found. Settings 85 sensitivity. Tracking-Auto, Disc-10, 2 Tone mode.

Happy Detecting.....kevin

Holy crap Kevin! You're kicking butt!...Lol!

Is there a benefit to hunting in auto track? I believe the manual recommends against it in most hunting circumstances.

Nice finds Kevin. Looks like the Racer is another great detector. Sittin' on a log trying to solve all the worlds problems. Relic hunting/detecting, your time. I can relate to that.:thumbup:

jdeiana said:
Is there a benefit to hunting in auto track?
Yes, there can be for some people in some hunting applications and sites. Those are especially times when searching places with mildly changing ground mineral in the same area with only occasional, scattered dense mineral bodies. 'Dense mineral bodies' mainly being rocks of a significant difference from the surrounding ground mineral, or maybe something like abrupt mineral changes such as black sand.

One benefit of using auto-tracking Ground Balance is naturally to helot the detector adjust to modest changes is ground mineral make-up for peak performance. But another benefit is it allows the operator to better hear and discern how mild or sever the ground mineral conditions are, and to better understand when they have encountered a significant mineral challenge.

jdeiana said:
I believe the manual recommends against it in most hunting circumstances.
What the Owner's Manual suggests is that you use ''Tracking' in the All Metal mode and not in the three motion-based Discriminate modes for best performance. Most 'average' hobbyists seldom, if ever, search in the All Metal mode. That option is usually chosen by a more 'avid detectorist' or perhaps someone who is Gold Nugget hunting. If hunting an open field or searching for small, elusive nuggets, you want to be able to hear problem conditions, such as significant rocks or mineral bodies [size=small](black sand)[/size] that are out of context with the adjacent ground mineral to better handle the conditions. Any modest changes in mineral the auto-tracking circuitry can deal with that, but you, the operator, want to hear and deal with problem encounters, such as hot rocks.

When searching in a motion-based Discriminate mode [size=small](2-Tone, 3-Tone or Beach)[/size] an auto-tracking selection could work against you. How's that, you wonder? Well, Ground Balance is a way to handle the negative ground mineral conditions, and that includes iron or ferrous material. If you are using a silent-search motion mode, you can't hear audio hints to ground changing conditions, and more often than not, hobbyists will use a fair amount of iron rejection. The problem with using auto-tracking in a Discriminate mode is that, if you sweep over an area with a lot of decayed iron rust, or iron particulate matter, or even just some iron targets, auto-tracking will tend to read and analyze that as being a more mineralized ground environment [size=small](similar to black sand, etc.)[/size] and will 'off-track', leaving you with an improper GB for the area.

Remember that the Discriminate mode is reading both the ground mineral signal as well as a metal target signal [size=small](ferrous or non-ferrous targets)[/size] and it will let us Discriminate annoyances. One annoyance could be iron nails, and they are generally rejected with an ID Filter setting of about '23.' We don't want the detector to 'off-track' the GB to the rejected iron.

Another annoyance in an area could be hot rocks or similar abrupt ground mineral conditions. In the Discriminate mode we don't want the GB circuitry to 'off-track' on hot rocks, either. But that's where the Racer's broad-range Discrimination does its job by using an ID Filter in the '0' to '10' range because that can 'reject' or 'Discriminate' most magnetic type rocks, or it might call for a slightly higher ID Filter setting above '10', if the rocks are very irony and have a little more conductivity to them compared with the adjacent ground the Racer is GB'ed to.

Therefore, it's best to consider using the auto-tracking GB option when hunting in the All Metal mode, and for other modes it's usually best to leave tracking 'Off' in the 'O' selection and rely on the Automated GB and/or Manual GB.

I would also remind every Racer owner to sit down and read the Owner's Manual, front to back, and take notes if they think it might help them. I am not hinting to just the beginners, either. ALL Racer owners [size=small](or owners of ANY make and model detector)[/size] who consider themselves to be very experienced can benefit by reading the well written manual. I am sure there will be some little operational suggestions that they might not have understood or considered.

Monte

Again fantastic info Monte. I avoid using all metal with my CoRe because it seems to go plenty deep in the discrimination modes but I may have to give it a try soon just to see how it stacks up.

Thanks guys.....I appreciate all of the feedback. This is about the extent of my testing. Pull 'em out of the box.......go swinging. So far....with the Racer......I'm satisfied.
Yesterday (3/29/15) I got to go out for a while and ran into what seems to have been a skirmish line......of sorts, judging for the amount of spent musket caps. One soldier lost a cuff button. The back is missing. And the back of the inside of the button is gilted as well!!! History is some pretty cool stuff ain't it? Digging those musket caps, I was wondering if I was the only one to touch them since the soldier pulled them off the nipple of his Enfield or whatever Percussion rifle he was using. Interesting stuff.

Keep swinging them coils!.......kevin

Thanks Greaser. Yes, and it's mainly because of some very nice landowners..........I wish that there were more folks like them. If the folks in my town where as friendly as the folks out in the country, I wouldn't have to drive so far. lol I appreciate your reply. Sincerely........kevin

Kevin, that's awesome! Are those "percussion caps" or something like that? You mentioned "musket caps", and I've found them before , but didn't know if they were for muskets (musket balls) or rifles (3 ringers) or both?

Thanks, bubba

Yes, they are musket caps.......(or percussion caps....only a bit larger than the number 11 perc caps that I use on my Knight MK85 muzzleloader). But I have since learned the truth about these caps. I did some asking around. And while I was on some good relic property, I was told by one guy that they had a re-enactment in this area about 25 yrs ago. And I thought that re-enactments were only done on Federal Parks. Not true. They also did re-enactments on private property. Some of these musket caps still look 'brassy'. They should have turned green by now. Some of them was so shallow that they were only a half inch to an inch under the soil in the woods.......after I kicked the leaves away. I have found a genuine musket cap (about two years ago) and it was not that deep......but it had turned green. I may be wrong, but I think that I stumbled across a re-enactment 'stretch of woods' that was held on private land. I just KNEW that it was too good to be true. I can go back to those woods and dig that many more. They are everywhere!!!!! There should have been more 'real'relics among them.......or so I thought. Anyway, I think that they are possibly NOT genuine Civil War era. But yes, it is the little cap that they would 'prime' the rifle with by placing a cap on the nipple at the breech.