Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A ghost in my V3i?. Why why this happens?

spain64

Please watch these videos. Today. 12,26h not working. 19,03h perfect. Same place (Exact location). With the same configuration. Original programs. No EMI/RF. Forest far from civilization. Is not the first time it happens. Why why this happens?

Today. 12,26h. Not working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeymG0DQHO4

Today. 19,03h. Perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azF_tPM4SEE

If the problem happens with the stock coil as well, I think a call to White's would be in order.

No one can give you an answer. Since it happens with more than one coil sent it in. ROB

Last day had used the machine in rocky area. The machine went crazy there. It has been 24 hours stopped. Without battery. Today I reconnected. V3i may store the rocky area? Could one have remained hung? And back to good soil has gradually been able to fix? Very slowly? Does machine need time after becoming mad? Could this be an explanation? Or has no memory? Or is it nonsense? Thanks for your patience.

This is a problem for White's to resolve.

From what I can tell it is temperature sensitive..... Coils are nulled at a specific temp, they can lose this null. I have friend going through the same thing. If he rests the coil in the sand at the beach and then tries to detect it goes nuts and the gain must be turned down to under 4. If he cools it off in the ocean and then goes back to detecting the gain can be brought back up to 14. It happens all the time, I have to send the coil in for him but he really likes to hunt and does not want any down time. He has an MXT but the v3i is so much better he cant handle missing it.

I notice the time in your videos. Try cooling the coil off and see if that helps. Just bring a bucket of water with you. You also should try disconnecting the coil when this happens and see what it does.

Put the stock 10" coil on for testing this temp issue. If that coil gives these same odd results, then you have a machine that whacko. No-way anyone can convince me that a high end machine like this is flaky at 82 degrees. IMO, that's grasping at straws. If it's real, and it is indeed that sensitive, at those temps, then there are serious limits on how we can use these Vs in general. jm2c.

5900_XL-1 said:
Put the stock 10" coil on for testing this temp issue. If that coil gives these same odd results, then you have a machine that whacko. No-way anyone can convince me that a high end machine like this is flaky at 82 degrees. IMO, that's grasping at straws. If it's real, and it is indeed that sensitive, at those temps, then there are serious limits on how we can use these Vs in general. jm2c.

That aint even a half cent..... You are assuming that both coils are good. He is using a non-v rated coil and we know that Whites had an issue with some of the past d2 coils. I also never said the machine was heat sensitive, I said the coil. Did I say to cool the box? Come on read the post.:ranting:

[size=medium]I tried several coils. That is not the problem. And my place is not so hot. Other models work very well here (XLT, DFX..). All day.[/size]

I have been hunting in temps. from 75 to almost 100 and no problem with coils. Here in AZ. it is a dry heat. Also are these coils all able to dunk into water? Thank you Just cooling off :confused:

Yes all the Whites coils are waterproof. I've hunted in 90 degree heat also. It doesn't mean some coils can't be heat sensitive. ROB

spain64 said:
[size=medium]I tried several coils. That is not the problem. And my place is not so hot. Other models work very well here (XLT, DFX..). All day.[/size]

You tried several coils..... That means 2..... Have you actually tried cooling the coil off...............................? Have you tried the D2 and cooling it off....? Have you disconnected the coil from the box when this happens?

We have only seen you use the sef that is not v-rated and a d2 coil that may have problems.

Any videos you post other than a Whites v-rated coil is less than helpful. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont and this is caused by heat and emi, even from the sun. They are not properly nulled to operate to the sensitivity of the v3i......

I have watched coils be effected by the sun, and that is the truth, they are on the way out but still effected.

I have seen your video showing the same location, or approximate location and different times and temps.

Get the Whites D2 on there and when it starts to act erratic in an area you are sure you can runt the mxt in, try cooling the coil off. The symptoms you are showing are caused by 3 things.

1. Bad coil
2. Emi
3. minerlization

When the detector has a problem you dont get to see a functioning screen, it is a complex electronic circuit that cannot function without all components in unison. Yours is showing the classic 3 that are above.

OK, the posts can get long so lets get answers in on spot.

You state that the same issue occurs with different coils. YES or NO. If yes it is not the coil.
Put on a V rated coil and leave it on for the testing. YES or NO.

You are running the SAME program settings, with the SAME coil and the SAME battery pack in the SAME place. YES or NO.

You have checked that the screws around the outside of the box are tight. YES or NO.
You have tightened all connections. YES or NO.
You tried tapping on the box to see if that causes the noise. Yes or NO
You tried wiggling the coil connector. YES or NO

When the problem is happening and leaving the power on, disconnect the coil.
Does the problem go away. YES or NO
If problem goes away it is not the detector.

After this we should know if it is intermittent EMI or a detector problem. ROB :stars:

Rob (IL) said:
OK, the posts can get long so lets get answers in on spot.

You state that the same issue occurs with different coils. YES or NO. If yes it is not the coil.

:stars:

Rob that is assuming that the SEF coil is behaving properly..... We have seen 2 coils on the detector and only one v-rated, my SEF behaved in similar fashion.

OK, I added that.

ROB. My answer:
You state that the same issue occurs with different coils. YES.
Put on a V rated coil and leave it on for the testing. YES.
You are running the SAME program settings, with the SAME coil and the SAME battery pack in the SAME place. YES.
You have checked that the screws around the outside of the box are tight. YES
You have tightened all connections. YES
You tried tapping on the box to see if that causes the noise. YES
You tried wiggling the coil connector. YES.

When the problem is happening and leaving the power on, disconnect the coil. Does the problem go away. DO NOT KNOW YET. I have not checked. Test pending.

Good then we should know.

Hello All:Been following this thread with interest.Reading things like cool a coil with a bucket of H20,Tighten,tap,wiggle,& last but not least look for loose screws, leaves me curious.I dont know how the customer used his M/d but his videos purports him to be more than a casual user,and do you really believe a hard reset solves this?????When does he send it to sweet home? Or do these quick-fix solutions simply postpone the inevitable failure that have plagued this m/d since its inception.ie coil difficulties,and a assortment of failures rite out of the box( seen on other sites).Some were addressed and corrected some went home.(sweet-home).I should add my V3i currently sits in sweet home as I write this,
where its been since july 27 when they rec'd it. Whites note to me noted that further testing may extend 10-15 day return policy because expanded testing may be required, quite a testimonial for a m/d used <1yr.I must note that the monitors on this site have provided a ton of info,and have been a lifeline for me, an old coinmaster dude, who stepped up to the big time with the V3i.Waiting anxiously for its return to enjoy my retirement hobby.

After he runs the last test is the answer. He won't be sending it to Sweet Home since he is in Spain. Remember some people have a bad switch and send in the detector, I just replace the switch. The last test will either show a bad detector or some strange intermittent EMI.

There is no hard reset for the V3i, there is a Master reset. All that wiggling is checking for a bad ground. With all that said, I remember a master guru trying to solve a problem for quite some time. He undid the coil connector and redid it and the problem was solved. So who knows.

ROB