Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Great Problem to have.

IBdiggin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been reading about a month on three different forums to learn as much as I can as quick as I can. Should have started this hobby 20 years ago. I am in my mid-sixties and headed towards old fart. But I still get excited as a kid when I get that really good hit from below. Started with the Ace 250 since I knew my wife and grandson were also interest in the hobby. It was not to long when I realized we would needed another detector. Since the 250 is a good coin shooter I thought maybe something with a little higher frequency would help fit the bill on the jewelry or gold. I quickly became interested in the ohhhhhhh so cool looking Fisher F5. I read all I could find including watching all the videos on it. While looking at the Fisher threads I also started hearing good things about the F70 but the guru of the F5, Mike H. had me really wanting an F5 with his whispers from the deep descriptions. Then last week an urge came over me to call this local dealer, as I knew he was associated with an area club, to maybe pick his brain a little and get and idea of his prices. He had good things to say about the Fishers and the Garretts and agreed with my choice about the F5. We talked about the whispers from the deep and he knew immediately what I was talking about since one of his own personal detectors is an F70 Then he said he had one in stock and also an F5. Told him I really had my heart set on the F5 but I also heard the F70 was deep, very deep, and at the good frequency for jewelry and gold. I hesitated though because of the price. Come to find the F70 he had there was sold to a friend of his just last fall who thought was too difficult to master so he brought it back. Not a scratch on it and only $26 dollars more than the F5. I just could not say no. So now back to more reading, videos, and learning. Please, someone tell me. With the F70, by manipulating the gain and the threshold will I still hear the whispers from the deep?-------------Larry

Very good to know. I'll set my volume down in advance. Wouldn't want to make my tinnitus any worse than it already is ------Thanks for chiming in.--Larry

I am sure you will be pleased - I will be posting as I continue to learn my F70. As a mid-late 60's geezer on the way to old farthood, I have invested in an F70 DD coil to venture into the current generation of detectors after a 25 year hiatus due to work and family. Still learning settings - the damn thing beeps and burps about every sweep. Got a lot of suggestions from the forum users (see previous posts) and am trying suggestions and taking notes to fully understand what impact each control has on depth, target and discrimination. Will keep you posted through the forum. Happy hunting!

Fantax

Ha! You old guys are funny! :rofl: Welcome IB! We look forward to what adventures lay ahead for you!
Mud

Hey! quite an avatar you have there Mud. I was going to hunt a while this afternoon after installing a new garage door opener but I need to recap the owners manual once more, so maybe in the morning if its nice.

A few years ago, there was this one old guy who was 137.:rofl:.he swung the F70 and got over 8000 coins in 2011...He still checks in from time to time...it really does like a moderately fast swing I will tell you, if you try to go too slow with it, it will miss those deep pings. I hope he's ready to come out of hibernation and start finding things again.
Mud

Hello IB
Welcome to Fisher land, it's a shame you didn't get the F5 but I suppose the F70 was a bargain! Just a note on the whispers from below, if you hear any whisper saying "Get Out" just run and don't look back. :bouncy:
Regards
Foggy

Ok, now your really messin with my confidence level since I have slowly convinced my self I didn't hurt my performance chances by opting for the F70. Please tell me your just yankin my chain.----Larry

I didn't mean it like that IB, the F70 is probably an excellent machine, I haven't used one so can't really comment, Find yourself a good base setting then practice, it's all about getting out there and learning your machine, you will pick it up in no time. Best of luck
I'm quite new to the forum, just got my F5 at Christmas and have had great fun learning
Regards
Foggy

Yes I know, didn't take it the wrong way. I think we will still be able to compare notes because I went across the street for a couple hours before supper and tried the F70 for the first time. Once I got the ground balance set and discrimination to 15, sens at 65, and thres at 0 things started clicking pretty good. I made 12 cents in clad, dug a small screw at 81/2" and dug some pull tabs just to see if she was lying to me. It got a little chatty with those settings but I want to hear everything while I am learning. Does anyone know if gold jewelry hit a good solid tone in all directions or are they jumpy? All I can say about this thing is holy wow I'm gonna like it -----Later--Larry

Stay the course on the learning curve and you will never regret going with the f70! I have been out about 6 times with mine, moving up from a tracker IV and a pioneer 505. The f70 is giving back a lot more info, hence the chattiness. Yesterday I went over my own yard that I have pounded hard with the bounty hunters and pulled a 1959 wheat, a 1919 wheat and a 1899 V nickel, using the exact settings you described in your post! (only my second 1800's coin)
HH Ed in colo.

That's really great Ed. Looks like I am on the right path then with the settings. I am quite happy with the ID with the stuff I dug. When it hit a coin it was definite and very solid and no question in my mind what it was. Not real deep maybe 6" but very impressive pinpointing. Next ones will be deeper. I see your from Colorado. I hunted Elk down at Gunnison in 1989 and again in 1992 and 96. Experience of a lifetime. Always wanted to take my wife out and ride the BLM trail on 4wheelers so she could experience being so deep in the Rockies. Take care ---Larry

OK, first of all you made a good decision with the F70, I owned both. I found the F5 to be a great machine, but not so deep, not bad, but not great. Now I have the F70 with the 11dd and it gets right on down there and sounds off with a good tone, and the speed selection is just like a power boost for even more depth. I really like this option when I find tones at the fringe of my detecting range I can switch and get a better response from the machine. Taking one from Mud, it is a beach killer, you can cover some serious ground with this thing. One problem I have come across with my setup is getting multiple signals under my coil at once, I am going to buy a smaller coil for those highly populated areas. All in all, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go up to the F70 from the F5. If there is anything I can help you with please feel free to ask.

Really appreciate that Ayeti65. I am using the stock coil for now and seem to get close together signals also. But I like running things a little chatty and now am starting to wonder if some of the signals are not objects at all. Maybe more like what I call wrap around ( for lack of a better term) from the neighboring low iron as I have discrimination set at 15. I've noticed this with the Ace 250 while discriminating out iron with the sensitivity a little too high. So would that mean I am running to much gain for the soil I am in? F70 told me there was a pull tab about 5" and got it real close. only it was really 7" deep. Some might think its not such a big deal, another pull tab. But this was on purpose during a quick first time out, get familiar with features, and scratch my head for a while type thing. I never expected to see anything that would involve the WOW factor on a first outing . The clad I found was also deeper than pinpoint said but exactly where it said it would be, and I only dug a 3" wide plug so I would say dead nuts on, WOW again. Fact is, it identified a pull tab at 7" among iron and to me that in itself is the WOW. Now I need to figure how to find the jewelry with gold that lives anywhere between iron and bottom of silver. I happened upon the forum articles about you changing from the F5 to the 70 and I must say I was pulling for you all the way because I new, from Mike H's writings, the 5 is a really great machine and he is no doubt better with it than I will be with the F70 for a very long time, if ever. All I could say was I hope you were not making a big mistake. So I guess your are probably the most responsible for me going with the F70. Took balls to leap away from a great unit such as the F5. Oh and one more thing. Do you run in AT or Disc mode? Some users seem to have something going on with AT mode and the delta tone or 4 tone thing, but I'm not there yet, have not learned enough yet. Trying to soak it all in as fast as I can.------Larry

Whatchutalkinbout???:rant:

I heard the other day from someone most knowledgeable (?) that 60 is the new 40! That would put me at about 48, give or take. And, I certainly don't feel like an ol' phart. A few more creaking bones, maybe a few more aches and pains and maybe a little slower on the draw, but I still got IT (whatever "IT" is).:hot:

Seriously, I played fiddle with an F2 for a couple years before I sprung for an F5 a few months ago. If'n my pockets had been a bit deeper I might have gone with the F70 or possibly an F75. Learn to use what'cha got and you will do great IB! Let us know how you progress, just in case I have a rich relative pass on.:yikes:

HH - Dale

Hi Dale, I was going to get the F5 also but just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get this F70. Nothing wrong with that F5, I think they look really cool. Been out all afternoon trying a few different things in AT mode and disc. mode. Also tried different tones. Sure is lots of options to try. Found a bunch of clad today and lead sinkers at the boat landing but nothing valuable. Sure is a fun hobby and its always good to get out of the house. ----------Larry

hey ib i started with a ace 350 and it was descent machine then after a year i got a f70 and it was like having virgin hunting areas all over, places i thought where cleaned out with the ace 350 where great hunting spots again , the f70 is much deeper better balanced great battery life. it does get affected by emi but you can turn the sense and threshold down and still hunt most areas i would reccomend running in disc mode with you sense and threshold low to start with, try sense around 50 and threshold at -3 de mode and 3 or 4 tones or dp tones and disc at 15 to 20, most gold rings will read at 22 and up and also you can get a little more depth in all metal but it can get real noisy in trashy areas so i would save all metal for later after you learn it a little, good luck

Once I made my mind up on the F70 I was set. I run in disc mode with settings as follows: disc 20 sens 60 thres 0 speed de tones 4h, but if I get a time that isn't repeating I will quickly drop the disc to 0-3 and see if it grunts at me, I am not used to running a real chatty machine because the places I hunt, a lot of them are virgin ground and covered with signals, and it's just more than I can comprehend at one time. I run softer settings with F5 as well, I do the same with my F70 turn I up until it gets all "chatty" then back it off until it just quiets down mostly. What I have noticed is I can get higher numbers with the F70 than I could before with the F5, so I would say it runs more stable for me on my dirt. I couldn't thank Mike H. enough for all his great information on the F5, I use the same setting principles on my machine now and they seem to work well, so until I learn something better I will continue that. I know that there are some "Dr F70's" from the university of "very smart folks" out there that have very long winded very detailed explanations of the operation of this machine should work that I will be able to pick things from and become a better operator. This is a super machine and I am very blessed to have such a great hobby, now if my work would just give me the time off to hunt that would be great. I have got out and found some silver in the yard along with a couple of wheats, now momma is worried about how the grass is going to look so I have to move on to other pastures, to do my digging.

Glad to hear from you guys so soon. Ez4sure, I agree about the new hunting ground all over again with the F70. I am really glad I started with our Ace 250 though because it was so easy to get started quickly. I'm finding every thing I learned with it is adaptable to other detectors as well. So do gold rings come with a solid signal, or are they bouncy like between foil and tabs? Our soil in this area balances between 75 and 81 so I'm able to get to 65 or better in most places for sensitivity and 0 with thresh. Ayeti65, I like you seem to prefer the 4H tone setting but have been experimenting with the dp tone as some of the other users here said they like it. I have program 1 set in disc. mode with about 15 discrimination, and program 2 set up in the AT mode for quick access to ground balance. I read somewhere It will be easier to do a clear balance there. If conditions are not to trashy I will experiment in At with no disc. just to get the feel of it. I found the depth there is totally amazing. I dug this little screw cap of some kind, looked to be stainless or something I/2 the size if a pea. It appeared on the depth screen to be 8" but in reality was actually between 10 and 12". I love the F70. If I were any happier I would have to be twins:twodetecting: :clapping: Later---Larry And thanks again