Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A hunt, and a story....

cwilk

I went out today to see how quickly I could dig 100 coins. I picked out a park that used to be good for clad and jewelry and began. I was immediately confronted by two young boys who wanted to try. I explained my goal to them and they seemed very interested in participating. One got the Propointer, and the other the loot bag. I was popping most of the coins with a screwdriver and had the Lesche along for anything deeper than a few inches. The kids were surprised by how many coins came out of the ground and how I could remove them using good old Uncle Willy's coin popping technique. After half an hour, the caretaker came over to shout at me. The boys got pretty agitated and hid behind me which was very funny. He told me they had tossed a guy last year for digging big holes. I told him I wasn't digging holes and he was incredulous. One of the boys got brave and came out of hiding to back me up. The caretaker watched me pop a few and before he left us he apologized. Sort of. We plodded along for an hour and counted. 44. Not too bad. About this time Mom finally noticed the kids hanging out with a sweaty guy carrying a dagger and took them away. I had a rough count in my head and when I hit 100 I dug 4 or 5 more and noted the time. Two hours and 25 minutes. I can't count, it seems. 117 and almost no junk. And almost no nickels. My last target of the day was two quarters stuck together and the rest were singles. My injuries also continue. Gashed my knee. It is a drag getting old!

Chris

Cwilk!!! Haven't seen you around in forever. Where ya been? Still using the 2500? Nice haul. HH

Hiya Kyle! How are things? I guess you're not 14 anymore and that you can now drive yourself around to treasure hunting places? Did you ever pursue writing? You had a great voice for it, so I hope so! Nice hearing from you.

Chris

Sore enough that I won't be going out for a few days. I've really beat myself up for the past three weeks. Close to a goal, though, so who know! Good to hear from you, John.

Chris

Excellent day and congratulations to your two helpers. The closest I ever came to 100 coins was 90 coins when I first started water hunting. Most of the time when I offer to demonstrate my coin popping techniques to someone over the parks, they don't even worry about it. Glad you showed the caretaker you were not responsible for other people's holes. Thanks to Uncle Willy, I really improved my recovery times of shallow coins and my technique as well. He was a generous soul and I miss him.

I once dug over 300 coins in one day from a virgin playground. Mostly singles, a lot of it from the bark chips. I found a many of them with only my propointer and I was detecting on my knees to avoid constantly having to get back up. Talk about sore! I'm thinking about heading there Sunday to see if it has built up again.

Agreed. Most caretakers are cool. Ran into a bad one today. Not bad. Annoying?

Chris

cwilk said:
Hiya Kyle! How are things? I guess you're not 14 anymore and that you can now drive yourself around to treasure hunting places? Did you ever pursue writing? You had a great voice for it, so I hope so! Nice hearing from you.

Chris[/quote

Yeah, definitely not 14 anymore. :) I do drive around to hunt places nowadays, although with this drought and intense heat here in Cali I haven't been hunting much this year. Even last winter and spring the ground was a rock. I have, however, been hiking more up in the mountains, which has put me in some pretty cool places. I have hiked to a few high Sierra ghost towns from the gold rush, as well as explored quite a few while driving. Right now the history is more of an interest to me than mding them, although if I had the opportunity.....:detecting:

I haven't pursued writing, although with college I have had my share of writing assignments over the last few years. The cool thing with many of my college classes is that they give you more freedom to write about what you want to then high school classes do, so I have written about a large range of topics. HH and GL

No nickels and no junk means only one thing - someone was hounding the low conductors in search for gold. Gotta dig that junk to get the good stuff.

Sounds like you're doing great! I remember the stories about your dad driving you around to sites. The only thing we are all getting is......older. Some of us faster than others. Or so it seems...

All the best to you!

Chris

Man go real early. Young kids, ground keepers need avoided. They can lead to big problems. Ain't the old days anymore. If your interacting with kids / parents , wrong time of day. Just the sad way it is today.

I really like it when the kids are nice and these two boys were great. One of them was always encouraging me in a very kind way. I'd say only a penny, and he'd say that the next coin would be better. Groundskeepers have their purpose too. My favorite time to hunt is early on the weekend. Or anytime in late fall, really. Good to hear from you dancer.

Chris