Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A lens related question from a newbie ??

Mega

I posted recently that i have just bought a new Nikon D3300 camera albeit not used it much,but my question is related too lens on this camera.

The D3300 cmaera comes with a standard 50mm lens which as i understand it will do a very good all round job,but in my case i bought just the new camera body minus the stock lens,but i did buy at the same time a 50mm-200mm lens as my way of thinking was that it was just a little more money for this combination but it will give i hope a better all round use for longer distance work.

My question is will the 50mm setting on the larger lens give me the same function and picture quality as the standard 50mm lens,i hope that makes sense,or is the extremes of the larger lens not going to give me the same performance ?? after seeing the pictures posted today of garden flowers etc i am thinking can i focus the larger lens down too capture the fine details as in say the smaller stock lens.

Hope folks understand what i am saying,but being a newbie i am not sure so hence me asking the question.

Not been out taking any pictures of late as we have had alot of building work done on the house and also the weather has been bad,but the weather forecast this weekend looks to be good for a change.

Mega said:
I posted recently that i have just bought a new Nikon D3300 camera albeit not used it much,but my question is related too lens on this camera.

The D3300 cmaera comes with a standard 50mm lens which as i understand it will do a very good all round job,but in my case i bought just the new camera body minus the stock lens,but i did buy at the same time a 50mm-200mm lens as my way of thinking was that it was just a little more money for this combination but it will give i hope a better all round use for longer distance work.

My question is will the 50mm setting on the larger lens give me the same function and picture quality as the standard 50mm lens,i hope that makes sense,or is the extremes of the larger lens not going to give me the same performance ?? after seeing the pictures posted today of garden flowers etc i am thinking can i focus the larger lens down too capture the fine details as in say the smaller stock lens.

Hope folks understand what i am saying,but being a newbie i am not sure so hence me asking the question.

Not been out taking any pictures of late as we have had alot of building work done on the house and also the weather has been bad,but the weather forecast this weekend looks to be good for a change.

Hi Mega.
From my understanding the zoom in 50mm will give you the same size as the 50mm prime lens.
But in most cases the prime lens will have a better exposure value.
There are a few zoom lenses out there which will meet nearly those exposure values,
but do cost some big bucks.
The big advantage of the zoom is, one can adjust the image section with a dial of the zoom ring,
where with the prime lens one has to move forwards or backwards.
That is why I have a 18-200mm lens as a travel lens.
Wednesday I got a 50mm prime lens on budget. And it makes a big difference to my zoom lenses
in colors and detail imaging.

But this is just me...

All my best

That is why I have a 18-200mm lens as a travel lens.
Wednesday I got a 50mm prime lens on budget. And it makes a big difference to my zoom lenses
in colors and detail imaging.

But this is just me...

All my best[/quote]

I have that 18 200 also and love it,,, it stays on my camera 90% of the time. I also have a 70 300 VR that I use when shooting water fowl and air craft an etc. I guess I'm weird but my 50 seldom gets out of the bag,,, guess I'm a zoomie kind of guy. LOL

I have 2 Nikon 18 to 200 lens, my 2nd lens is on loan to my Son in Law...
I have his Nikon 80 to 400 lens...I have other lens,, but these 2 are my favorites...
I would like to get like a 85mm F 1.4 lens...
I like zoom lens,, because, some times you just can't get in the right place to use a fixed lens..
Bj

BJ in Okla. said:
I have 2 Nikon 18 to 200 lens, my 2nd lens is on loan to my Son in Law...
I have his Nikon 80 to 400 lens...I have other lens,, but these 2 are my favorites...
I would like to get like a 85mm F 1.4 lens...
I like zoom lens,, because, some times you just can't get in the right place to use a fixed lens..
Bj

>> because, some times you just can't get in the right place to use a fixed lens..<<<

Right! Umpteen years ago when I was shooting film I had a bag full of primes but when i got hold of my first digital with zoom,,, I never looked back. ;) I guess if I was a pro and shooting mostly still shots in a studio I would look at it differently.

RobM

PS, I'd keep track of that son inlaw. ;)

Rob,
back when I shot film, I had a bag full of prime lens and like 3 zoom lens...
I was always changing lens,, but with these Digital cameras, I don't like to change lens, because of getting dust in the camera and on the Sensor...
I have a D 7200 with the 18 to 200mm lens and my D 7000 with Son in laws 80 to 400mm lens, these are what I use..
I am not a Pro, just some one who takes care of their stuff....
Bj

BJ in Okla. said:
Rob,
back when I shot film, I had a bag full of prime lens and like 3 zoom lens...
I was always changing lens,, but with these Digital cameras, I don't like to change lens, because of getting dust in the camera and on the Sensor...
I have a D 7200 with the 18 to 200mm lens and my D 7000 with Son in laws 80 to 400mm lens, these are what I use..
I am not a Pro, just some one who takes care of their stuff....
Bj

I had canon in my film days, an A! and an AE!P and about a dozen lens. I have a D90 now that I purchased new from nikon just before they came out with the 7000. To prove I'm not a pro my D90 still has less than 7k clicks on the shutter,,, guess I need to get out and shoot some. ;(

If you are an okie,,, I have a Flicker page I set up for NE Oklahoma,,, feel free to sign in and ad some to it if you like. I've been kind of stalled out,,, haven't added any in quite some time.

North East Oklahoma In Photos,,, https://www.flickr.com/groups/1662990@N21/

RobM ` Tulsa

Rob,,
I looked at all 4 pages,, I really like that pick up...
I would have liked to see more pictures of that Steam Train...
That Big Oil Field man is at the Tulsa Fair grounds, right ??

I have not been to N E Ok. very much, we went up there looking for a Ghost Town one time, something like Piney..
And, yes, I am a Okie, since 42...My Dad was born here before Okla. was a State, back in 1901.

Your Nikon D 90 is still a fantastic camera... I have a older Nikon D 200, with less than 800 clicks on it...
I like your D 90 better than my D 200 and D 3100...
These are well made cameras..
I like your mode dial,, my D 7200 has a button in the center,, that you have to hold down,, before you can turn the dial,
my other Nikons don't have that...

There is a Youtube video of the Tulsa Speed Way,, I was there back in,, I think, the 60's...
Again thanks for the link, and please share some of your pictures . So others may enjoy them..
Bj

BJ in Okla. said:
Rob,,
I looked at all 4 pages,, I really like that pick up...
I would have liked to see more pictures of that Steam Train...
That Big Oil Field man is at the Tulsa Fair grounds, right ??

I have not been to N E Ok. very much, we went up there looking for a Ghost Town one time, something like Piney..
And, yes, I am a Okie, since 42...My Dad was born here before Okla. was a State, back in 1901.

Your Nikon D 90 is still a fantastic camera... I have a older Nikon D 200, with less than 800 clicks on it...
I like your D 90 better than my D 200 and D 3100...
These are well made cameras..
I like your mode dial,, my D 7200 has a button in the center,, that you have to hold down,, before you can turn the dial,
my other Nikons don't have that...

There is a Youtube video of the Tulsa Speed Way,, I was there back in,, I think, the 60's...
Again thanks for the link, and please share some of your pictures . So others may enjoy them..
Bj

The pickup belongs to a friend and the wolf shown in photo several rows down also belongs to the friend,,, the wolf goes just about everywhere with him in the truck.
Yeah,,, I really like this D90 and no more than I get to shoot anymore it will probably last me as long as I need a camera.

Cheerio's,,, RobM~ Tulsa

Rob,
on Youtube,, look up Oklahoma Ghost Towns,, they have a lot of videos on Okla.

Oh, I had a Canon F-1 film camera,, good camera,, and still sells high..
Bj

Hi Mega,
a prime lens in most circumstances will give you better picture quality than a zoom lens.If you take a photo of the same subject at the same distance with your prime and with the 50mm setting on your zoom you will see the difference in quality,especially if you blow the picture up.
Also,as mentioned earlier,prime lenses tend to be faster,ie have a larger maximum aperture.This helps in low light situations where your zoom may struggle a bit more.
It is also worth mentioning that every lens has a "sweet" aperture that will give you the best quality that a certain lens can offer.The lens on my superzoom camera for instance gives the best quality set on f4.It is always a good idea to take a test photo of the same subject with your lens at each different aperture that it posesses,then magnify the photos and check each one.This will give you the aperture that gives you the ultimate quality for a given lens such as your 50mm.

Nauti Neil said:
Hi Mega,
a prime lens in most circumstances will give you better picture quality than a zoom lens.If you take a photo of the same subject at the same distance with your prime and with the 50mm setting on your zoom you will see the difference in quality,especially if you blow the picture up.
Also,as mentioned earlier,prime lenses tend to be faster,ie have a larger maximum aperture.This helps in low light situations where your zoom may struggle a bit more.
It is also worth mentioning that every lens has a "sweet" aperture that will give you the best quality that a certain lens can offer.The lens on my superzoom camera for instance gives the best quality set on f4.It is always a good idea to take a test photo of the same subject with your lens at each different aperture that it posesses,then magnify the photos and check each one.This will give you the aperture that gives you the ultimate quality for a given lens such as your 50mm.

Neil,thanks for the info,pretty certain the weather is good this friday,so i am planning on going down to the south coast,will take the camera and see what pictures we can take,may even take the detector as well for a few hours.If a prime 50mm lens came along at the right price i could well add that as well.

My original way of thinking was that i would use the larger lens much more,which i still think that will be the case,as i get a few more hours on the clock,i will get a feeling of what my main interest will be focused on.At the moment its a bit of everything rather than say wildlife.

I certainly dont regret getting the 3300D,as it does everything thing that i want from a camera,possibly wont even touch half of the features,but as i get more interested in photography i may start trying experimenting more with the advanced setting.

When I started out in film,, all I had was fast prime lens and only a couple of zooms.
I was always changing lens,, no big deal..
I kept the inside clean...

But the digitals have the sensor to worry about keeping free of dust..
Now when I change the lens on my Digital cameras,, I get in my car,, use a bulb blower around the camera and lens...
Once the lens is removed,, with the body up side down, I use the bulb blower again,, and also on the lens that I am going to put on...
I clean the lens that I just took off and put the end caps on and put it up...
If my sensor needs more cleaning,, I will let a pro do it..
Protect your new camera and you will have a trouble free camera..
Now I may be going to far,, but I know that I am not the only one that does this...
Bj

BJ in Okla. said:
When I started out in film,, all I had was fast prime lens and only a couple of zooms.
I was always changing lens,, no big deal..
I kept the inside clean...

But the digitals have the sensor to worry about keeping free of dust..
Now when I change the lens on my Digital cameras,, I get in my car,, use a bulb blower around the camera and lens...
Once the lens is removed,, with the body up side down, I use the bulb blower again,, and also on the lens that I am going to put on...
I clean the lens that I just took off and put the end caps on and put it up...
If my sensor needs more cleaning,, I will let a pro do it..
Protect your new camera and you will have a trouble free camera..
Now I may be going to far,, but I know that I am not the only one that does this...
Bj

This is very good advise

I switched to Canon SX40 and now SX60. When you get old hauling all those lens gets tiresome. My wife also loves the SX60. I worked in a commercial studio for 10 years. Mainly in darkroom. Digital Photography is fantastic. I use Corel Paintshop Pro and a few othe programs. Panorama Factory for Panos. Wide Carriage Canon Pro 100 Printer.