Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

a little down time.. time to learn

gunwolf

a few weeks letting something heal, so went back into my old notebooks from a few years ago and started reading... I'm lucky enough to have a few BIG old spots I can take my time with and experiment a little, when I get on a small private property I tend to be all business and "cherry pick" because I know my time is limited there. I did manage my last few hunts to try different settings and get deeper in this mineralized red clay. My last hunt at the fairgrounds I ran the stock coil, pushed the sensitivity to 28 and did not worry about the constant null (loss of audible threshold), I had to slow my swing speed alot, I don't mean turtle slow, but slow enough to hear that occasional high beep and the swing back and around it to "lock on"... I was getting some good one way or scratchy Iron Falsing, but when I got over a good target or coin the signal was clear and smooth. after gridding an area about 20ftx20ft I hit auto+3 and went back over the same area. The sensitivity ran about 10to12 and I was able to pull a few very shallow or surface zincs (12-37/3:geek: , and managed a few screw tops (12-34/35) that I went right over in high sens. and either missed or did not hear. most of my notes on location, and settings for different locations dealt with the good soil I had in Western NY, I am still on a learning curve to learn the soil here in Upstate SC. I have a few weeks to read , research, and decide what to experiment with next time out... if anyone from the south east has experience getting deeper in this red earth...please chime in, any and all criticism or advice is accepted!

You are a trooper Gunwolf! Firstly....get healed up, it is MISERABLE being hurt and trying to detect. It takes your mind completely off the game. I’m sure you know!
Secondly...not sure about YOUR “red Earth” but from what I know, it’s red because it’s iron. Getting deep in that is like detecting through a sheet of steel. If you find a way using the eTrac...we are ALL interested in that! Good luck!

The odd thing about this hobby is you think you’re getting two steps forward but you often are going three steps back. I was out behind our big farm shop yesterday trying to learn motion all metal mode on the F75, what I discovered is what I believe was where the previous owners had dismantled a couple old sheds and burnt them. Not an expert in all metal mode yet but......almost😂😂.

You are a trooper Gunwolf! Firstly....get healed up, it is MISERABLE being hurt and trying to detect. It takes your mind completely off the game. I’m sure you know!
Secondly...not sure about YOUR “red Earth” but from what I know, it’s red because it’s iron. Getting deep in that is like detecting through a sheet of steel. If you find a way using the eTrac...we are ALL interested in that! Good luck!
most of the pain, or discomfort really is in the outside elbow joint on my right(swinging) arm, and you know how heavy the E-trac can get. I never rested enough to let it heal months ago, and not only would my elbow hurt during MDing but my hand would go numb. I've had this type of injury before and it takes an awful long time to heal... especially now that I am older and everything is slower! yes the dreaded iron oxide in my soil here, I have been able to pull old copper grommets and stuff at depth, so I imagine eventually I should be able to see coins if I get over them. running so hot I do get a bit of reflection I think... but it does manage to see a target at depth as long as it is facing just right or large enough... I think if a silver dime settled below 10" it will probably stay there, but I should be able to see quarters and large cents. deepest wheat I have dug has been 8" and I'm coming up on #80, so if the wheats are 8" or less so should the silver dimes. funny, only IH I dug so far was only 4" deep... I'm on property where houses built in the early to mid 1800's once stood... so I know there has to be some older coins... that 1873 seated let me know that...but it was pretty shallow by tree roots.

hasn't even been a few days and I already have wiped down and cleaned my entire detector, PP, and coils...fully charged the battery (3rd time in 2 1/2 months of heavy use) I did a factory reset on the E-trac... then put my multi conductive settings in, my TTF settings in and re designed my coin pattern a little, as deep coins in this soil have a bit higher FE number and my old coin pattern discriminated most of that out. I also made a jewelry and nickel pattern(lower mid tones) opened up just abit so I can listen to a learn to pick certain tones...this is the range of my hearing loss, so it is quite difficult when I am in multi and get high tones to hear and separate the mid tones...unless I isolate and concentrate on them. I also have downloaded many old local maps, and started researching my next list of possible outings...
4 days into my self prescribed 2 week rest period and I am bored out of my mind! if ammo prices come back down a little I can go run a few classes and take my mind of MDing while I heal.