Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A little help from the antique ammo guys….

Ronstar

Found an old cartridge at a 1904 farmhouse that started life as a dairy farm. I know the case is toast but its rim diameter is smaller that a .38 or 9mm case so deduce the caliber is less than .351 or .358. Tried to get as accurate measurements as possible but as you can see only one side of the case is basically straight but the rim is slightly oval so not accurate enough to measure. It is rimfire and the striker is circular rather than rectangular, mark is .135 in diamter.
Case length is .790 and I can not match that up for nothing. Here is a page from an ammo website (not a member) and the red are calibers they do not have info on, so could this be one of those? Bottom is stamped with an A where a primer normally would be. (American Cartridge Co). Article a bit confusing as states founded by some General back in 1869 but basically active 1922-1929 and Federal bought them out.

Thats a.38 on the left and a 9mm on the right. Hopefully pic showing the diameters is clear enough to show old case is smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.jpeg
    IMG_1805.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1806.jpeg
    IMG_1806.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1730.png
    IMG_1730.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
.32 was quite popular and common. I highly suspect that that is what you have there.
Revolvers, pocket pistols, and derringers were all available chambered in .32RF.

My first thought as well but case length is shorter. Im thinking this is most likely a handgun round as close to 9mm. Of those calibers listed none were of that same or near length and no info on the red colors.

There were loadings for Short, Long and Extra Long.
Looking at my reference from cartridge-corner.com; .32 Long Rimfire has a case length of .797” and a rim diameter of .378”. I have several that I have dug.

Last edited: