Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A little test to do with your etrac

Goldmanjace

Hi,

I am wondering if any of you would like to do the following test and post your results here.

Bury a wheat penny at 9 inches and try to get a good repeating signal with your etrac and the pro coil. Use any settings you want but be sure to post them and if you got a signal, iffy signal that you would not have dug or no signal at all. The reason for this is I tried to do this in my test garden and I could NOT pick the penny up no matter what settings and combination of settings I used. One time I got an iffy signal I would not have dug using no disc, manual sens at 30, trash hi, ground difficult and noise cancel at 2.

I would be very interested in any results. I did manage to pick the coin up with a different detector. I am wondering if something is wrong with my etrac??

Freshly buried coins will not respond like coins that have been in the ground for years, there is a thing called the "halo" effect that makes the signal source a bit "bigger" if you will especially true on copper coins. Do a google search on Halo Effect E-Trac Detector and you will find definitions and descriptions.

Bell-Two said:
Freshly buried coins will not respond like coins that have been in the ground for years, there is a thing called the "halo" effect that makes the signal source a bit "bigger" if you will especially true on copper coins. Do a google search on Halo Effect E-Trac Detector and you will find definitions and descriptions.

Yes, very true and I am aware of this effect BUT that does not explain the fact that the etrac could not get it but the other unit could. Does this "halo" effect not apply to the second unit?

Frankly I'd be surprised, although not impressed, by any detector that can pick up a freshly buried penny at 9". The real test would be to find a naturally buried(over time) 9" penny with your E-Trac and see id your other detector can see it.

I did this test a few months back, wheat penny at 8", tried the stock coin program and got a very iffy signal but in andy"s program it picked it up very strong, so I now use andy"s program the most.

goldmanjace, if i were you i would send it in and let them look at it. if theres something wrong with it, they would be the ones to know. you should do it for your own peice of mind.

good luck and let us know what they find out.

So a freshly buried coin will not read very good at all as air is mixed in with the dirt which affect the depth of these detectors. Now on a undisturbed coin at 9 inches will probably read loud and clear, but once you dig it and put it back where it was a cover it with dirt you probably wont get it as air is now in the mix.
The BBS and the FBS will work for freshly buried coins, but you will not get the depth you would on actual coins laying there for years.I have a couple guy here that look for old sites to detect that haven't been used for many years, some are ploughed Field and some that are not. Those that are plough Fields they don't find much over 7 inches while those that are undisturbed ground they get coins at 10-13 inches with no problems.

It's not so much the halo effect as it is the matrix of the soil being disturbed. Densely packed ground verses the loose soil in the hole area throw the detectors off, much like what happens to a coin right on the edge of a sidewalk. The readings are distorted due to the change in density. The higher the mineralization strength of the soil the more exaggerated this effect becomes.

I actually found a 1919 wheat penny yesterday that was buried 9-10" down. I just got my Etrac last week and its actually the only coin Ive found so far, after 4-5 different hunts.