Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A lot of DFX and XLT's for sale on Ebay?

reddirtfisher

:cool: Why are there so many DFX and XLT's for sale on Ebay? They are all priced way too high for detectors that are discontinued. Is the DFX / XLT era over now? Any thoughts?

IMHO,
They are good machines with a cult-like following. And those owners think more of their machines than the "general public" does.
Also, it is the "slack time" for detecting in the northern hemisphere. If you have something and want to trade up or modernize, now is the time to sell.

I still use my DFX and wont ever part with mine,but they are a detector especially the DFX takes some time to tame and this i fear was prehaps its biggest down fall,they never really caught on over here in the UK but the people who stuck with them like myself have never regretted it.

New machines come out and we are the brainwashed into thinking that they are far better than the old models,infact this is my own personal thinking i dont think a machine that costs high bucks finds anymore than a mid price machine,i still say its the detectorists experiance and not the detector.Of course its nice to have all the latest whistles and bells but they dont actually find you anymore they aid you but its not essential.

Prices over here in the UK for these 2nd hand machines is reasonably low,i never ever sell a mine anyway as i can still find a use for it,like i can use the DFX on the beach which many other machines you cannot,i even use a large 18inch Detech coil on it for real deep work,i agree i can use my Pulse but that does not have the discrimination that the DFX has.

Although new sales have finished and alot of people are moving onto new model or other brands both the DFX and XLT can still produce finds and built too last as well unlike alot of the detectors that come out of Bulgaria,how many of those machines will be around in 10 years time,not alot i fear.

A 10 year user of the DFX here. One of my all time favorite detectors. I still can't believe that such a machine can be bought for around $400-$500. You can pay a lot more for a lot less detector but then some people are shy of used machines. One of the best buys on today's market in my opinion.

The one chance I had to use a DFX was several years ago when people were still wanting $800-$1000 for a "well loved" machine.
The owner had some of his own programs for the area we were in. As I recall, it was probably the smoothest running machine on that outing. The owner said it took awhile to get it dialed in. But once he had it setup, he said it was a dream to use.

Burbank, Mega B, and D&P-OR,
I think you are a little off subject. The topic is DFX and XLT's for sale on feebay, not CTX3030 and V3i's. You need to re read Knack4iron's post.

There are some for sale because White's sold a lot of them in the last couple of decades and there are a lot of them out there. There is always someone wanting to sell his and try the latest and greatest.

As far as the prices go, the XLT and DFX are VERY good detectors and in the under $500 category, they are a couple of "best buys" on the market IMHO and there are people willing to pay a premium to get a nice backup unit. A hunter with many years experience on either machine can hunt circles around the average hunter with the latest in hardware, again, IMO.

The XLT and the DFX are good machines, but discontinued machines. The XLT dropped around 06 or 07 or sometime around that but the same software and tech it had when it came out around 99- 2000.They had a 7-8 year run and was good in their time, but this is 2014.Don't know much about the DFX but I don't think Whites even carries it in their lineup anymore. So why pay $500 for a used XLT machine that Whites dont even carry anymore thats 14 year old tech when you can get say a MX5 today for $500????Or a Tejon. I paid $500 for a new G2 from a sponsor when they came out a few years ago and I'd take a G2 over the XLT in a heartbeat, I've had them both and made fantastic relic finds with both. Theres a XLT on ebay now for $800, go buy it. Or would you like a T2 for the $800 price or less from a dealer. Seen a fool bidding on a Vaquero $420 used, why? Because its eBay. Theres an awful lot of DFX's and XLT's on ebay and forums.Why? Because the owners want more updated and higher tech.lower weight,faster responses,bigger coils,better circuitry or the DD options and improved filter,seperation and modulation. Would you rather a cell phone with tech from 1999-2006 or a cell phone from the last few years and pay the same price? Would you pay the same price for a Blue Ray player and take the VHS?

I've been at it since the 70's when the old WHites Coinmaster 4 came out and relic hunting around Central MS since 85' so those that know me,know what I'm talking about. The topic of this thread was A lot of DFX's and XLT's for sale, and for goofy prices.Somehow someone brought the ctx and a v3i into the mix, which we all know is not a $500 machines and not on the same scale as a XLT or DFX and not what the topic was about, the point is people think they can flip an old machine for the same price as a current machine with more current,higher tech without putting out any scratch. And its a correct true observation. People have more dollars than sense these days since they think they're going to go out and dig buried treasure the week they buy a detector.

Southwind said:
A 10 year user of the DFX here. One of my all time favorite detectors. I still can't believe that such a machine can be bought for around $400-$500. You can pay a lot more for a lot less detector but then some people are shy of used machines. One of the best buys on today's market in my opinion.

I