Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Question about Depth

otlew

This is not about which make of detector but rather about PI vs. VLF.

All things being equal, same target and location, matched coil size. How much deeper would you expect a PI unit to be over a VLF?

Let's say a VLF can acquire a low conductor target at a maximum of 8", would the PI see it at 10,12 or even 14" where the VLF could not?

I know this may hard to quantify, but I am just looking for a ballpark figure, from your personal experience.

From personal experience using PI's such as the Minelab SD2200, Goldquest SS and a friend's Deepstar II, I can state that my Minelab Sovereign GT in All Metal PP mode was as deep as any of those machines in a beach setting.

The advantage will favour PI's when ground minerals come into the equation.....black sands on the beach or in our Aussie goldfields.

Plenty will laugh at my claims but they are from first hand blind tests.

I hope this goes some way to answering your questions above.

On a side note, I am 100% certain that a typical coin/ring sized target cannot be seen beyond 16".
This does not count for green crusty coins that are essentially twice their normal size.
A coil size of about 11" is also the optimum size for if you are chasing these targets.

Tony.

I agree, most good vlf detectors in all metal will air test about the same as a PI, The difference is when wet salt sand and or mineralization enter the picture, then the PI spanks the VLF. A multi freq vlf ( ML Sov, Exp, or a CZ) will preform better in those conditions than a single freq. Can't really ans yourquestion, depends on conditions.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Now I understand the meaning of deeper regarding the two technologies.

Yes

Genesis Events said:
HI there

I know this is out of context but are you Oran T Lewis who teaches API 570 etc?

Regards
Genesis Events

I was out hunting with a HHPI in fresh water lake about a month ago and found 2 rings that were quite deep. This lake is pounded hard. I really doubt that I would have found it with my excaliber which is my primary water detector. My buddy was detecting with his cz20 & was not getting signals. I was using an 8" coil & I firmly believe it to be a lot deeper. Just my opinion. Spoke to another detectorist last night who only hunts with an excaliber w/10" coil & he consistently finds old jewelry & old coins. He states he doesn't hunt in all metal, so I guess it still up for debate.

Condition affect which work the best, Where I have tested the difference is from 1 to 4 inch's in favor of the PI"s, being the size of the coil, target description and matix of the sand has a affect on all. PI's used Infinium, Sea Hunter, and the DF.....Headed up to the Jersey's beach's in Janurary to meet up with a couple hunters that use PI's, Be taking the Excaliburs, not really a competetion but a test to see how well the Amped Excalibur does on the Jersey Beach's, One thing about the amped excalibur it will get most of the targets the PI's get but they are not targets that stand out..you may pass them if you did not know they were there. The only changes from the last time I tested the gang to now is one of the Excals sports a WOT...

A few inches would be my guess. That is comparing a PI to an Excalibur or CZ 21.

The reason I listed those two detectors is because they are waterproof. To me a PI belongs in the wet sand and water only.

A few inches can make all the difference. Getting as deep as possible is the name of the game.

There are a few PI units out there that are just really powerful and deep. They cost more too.