Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A question about the CTX-3030.........

tomjj

A term I have heard on here lately and I do not understand, is iron wrap around. What is iron wrap around and how does it apply to building programs with the CTX-3030?

Wrap around iron is typically thought of as deeply buried, odd shaped, pieces of highly ferrous material that will sometimes appear as a "good target" in that it can provide high conductive TID numbers, in combination with very low or very high FE numbers. Iron has a tendency to oxidize when underground, and "leach" iron oxide into the surrounding area. In many instances, you can identify those pieces of iron by using a combination of your detect mode and Pinpoint. If you locate the target in detect mode and visualize where it is located in relation to a leaf, a clod of dirt or a clump of grass..... then repeat the process in the Pinpoint mode....... if the location of "both" targets is not the same, it is usually iron. However if the target "remains" in the same location, it is generally not iron. Some detectorists would prefer to reject those extremely high FE/CO parameters to reduce the audio signals from the "wrap around" iron. As a word of caution.... don't reject more high CO properties than necessary as BIG silver and copper targets can have very high CO numbers. A combination of FE line 35 and 01/50 is typically the only "wrap around" parameters that I reject when coin hunting. JMHO HH Randy

So if I had a completely open screen no discrimination, then discriminate out FE line 35, and Co lines 01/50 that would be a viable discrimination pattern.

That is one of the ways I like to set mine when I'm hunting old farm sites. I know I'm going to hear a lot of nails and rusty iron, as those places are loaded with it. But by setting my Audio Profile to allow low tones on what I expect to be iron, higher tones on what may be coins, and rejecting the FE line 35 and FE-01/CO50, I can greatly reduce the amount of deeply buried iron that gives the high tone. When it does occur, I can reduce the amount I dig by using the detect mode vs Pinpoint (target trace) procedure I mentioned in the previous post.

The other "option" I use is to set Pattern 1 up with minimal discrimination. Just enough to ignore those lower ferrous targets you know are nasty. Then set Pattern 2 up with only the FE line 35 rejected. Once you get a target in Pattern 1, slowly sweep over it in Pattern 2. You can (again) identify most of the iron by watching where the target is located under the coil and compare the location using those two modes. And also take note of the Target trail image on the smart screen. Iron will appear splattered, as in what I've described as resembling a meteor shower. HH Randy

You have to be careful at the beach with the moving target technique. Toe rings and hoop earrings (actually anything that is circular but has an open section) tend to do the same thing when pinpointing and just scanning. They also tend to be very bouncy. I actually had one last night that was coming up like two separate targets in the ground, really threw me for a loop for a minute or so.

Thanks for the explanation. I am understanding every thing you said. You explained it on a non tech level, and I appreciate that.

Thanks Digger, I will keep your suggestions in mind the next time I am out.

Digger said:
Wrap around iron is typically thought of as deeply buried, odd shaped, pieces of highly ferrous material that will sometimes appear as a "good target" in that it can provide high conductive TID numbers, in combination with very low or very high FE numbers. Iron has a tendency to oxidize when underground, and "leach" iron oxide into the surrounding area. In many instances, you can identify those pieces of iron by using a combination of your detect mode and Pinpoint. If you locate the target in detect mode and visualize where it is located in relation to a leaf, a clod of dirt or a clump of grass..... then repeat the process in the Pinpoint mode....... if the location of "both" targets is not the same, it is usually iron. However if the target "remains" in the same location, it is generally not iron. Some detectorists would prefer to reject those extremely high FE/CO parameters to reduce the audio signals from the "wrap around" iron. As a word of caution.... don't reject more high CO properties than necessary as BIG silver and copper targets can have very high CO numbers. A combination of FE line 35 and 01/50 is typically the only "wrap around" parameters that I reject when coin hunting. JMHO HH Randy

Great info digger! This should help many people!

I really like Digger's explanation of the wrap around effect as he calls the it "circular discrimination theory" in Minelab's downloadables for the Terra series. The entire booklet is very useful. You first have to log on the Minelab's Member's area and is it called Understanding your X-Terra.