Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A question about V3 MF depth vs...

willy

Okay, here's what I'm trying to figure out. The multifrequency operation of the V3 (and BBS/FBS, CZ's) is supposed to enable better depth in bad ground.. am I right? Now, has anyone compared a decent PI (TDI, Minelab, Infinium) with the same sized DD coils to a V3, and what kind of difference was there? I'm talking actual measured in-ground targets and the same targets for each detector. I don't care about ID, just raw depth. I hear a lot of anecdotal 'evidence', but not much hard data. I posted on Carl's forum, but it doesn't seem like anyone there has much to say. Figured I'd try here. Right now I have a V3 and am debating whether I should keep it or trade for a TDI. I plan, when the weather gets better, to do some nugget hunting over really tough ground. Now, I don't mind if the V3 get's, let's say, 80-90% of the depth of a PI in bad ground because there are other factors in it's favor (better small gold sensitivity and disc. options is one), but any more and I'd have to make some hard decisions. Anyone? ..Willy.

I don't think anyone will play ball with you Willy, the two are worlds apart. The TDI was designed to hunt nuggets in bad ground and can be used for other things. The V3i was designed for other things but can hunt nuggets in bad ground.

Hey there Larry. I was kinda hoping somebody from White's might get curious and check things out. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that they've actually done such tests. Steve Hershbach did some testing, a while ago, on some nuggets and came up with some impressive results. Thing is, there wasn't much in the way of follow-up by him or anyone else. The V3, IMHO, fulfills almost every criterion for a good nugget hunting detector.. maybe even exceptional. Thing is, people start thinking of the bells 'n whistles and lose sight of it's core functionality re. nuggetshooting. I say this, having used quite a few detectors over the years, and that includes dedicated nugget detectors. My main question, and due to present weather condiyions I'm unable to find out for myself, is how well a MF detector handles the ground vs a PI, and a PI designed for tough ground at that. Yup, I might be flogging a dead horse, but it's worth a shot. ..Willy.

I had used my infinium all day nugget hunting, (no nugs) at the end of the day I took out my V-3 just for a minimal ground test, just diddiling the settings and found a small 3dwt nugget @ 1 inch down (with the small coil)-go figure- I have the TDI it rocks-the v-3 I'll keep it's way out awsome-there is no other vlf like it on this planet.
I'll need to test the V a little more for nugget hunting

Dude, that would rock! I had a couple of Infiniums (at different times) and, while they are decent PI's, I couldn't stand the dragging tones and no manual GB. Was looking at the TDI since it seems to be a more 'flexible' machine, but I'd have to get rid of one to get the other. I already have an AT Pro for deeper water and an MXT (not here at the moment) for general gold hunting, but am looking at depth now. Seeing the claims made for multifrequency, and my having a V3, If it will come close to the TDI performance-wise I'll save myself a lot of hassle and money by keeping the V3.. not to mention I've also got a pile of coils for it. ..Willy.