Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A question for GKMan and others using pitch hold

G. E. Edwards

Hi Guys and Gals,
read the post on threshold volume, and GKMan mentioned using Pitch hold, could you go in to a little more detail on it's use and some examples of what to listen for, Thanks Gene

Rather than having a threshehold that maintains a certain tone throughout the duration of your hunt, setting it to Pitch Hold will cause it to fluctuate to a higher or lower tone based on the last target that your coil passed by and was picked up by circuitry. How this has helped me in the past is that maybe I was daydreaming, or there was outside noise from wind, or leaves (god knows they can be noisy as heck this time of year) and the next thing I know is that I hear the threshold has gone from a low tone a second ago to a higher tone (after that gust of wind passed by) and masked the sound, or again I was daydreaming. Numerous times this has caused me to double back a swing or two to further investigate a potentially missed good signal.

This is actually a response type not a threshold

Minelabs verbage is as follows
Pitch Hold
When Pitch Hold is selected, the normal rise-and-fall target signal is replaced with
a continuous tonal response. The tone emitted is the strongest signal coming from
the target, and will continue until a new target is detected.

After writing the above response I found this article from Minelab. Its for the Explorer and Etrack but still relevant.
http://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/pitch-hold-in-e-trac-explorer-se-pro

Thanks GKMan I read the article and It sounds like what I should be using on the beaches wet sand where targets are far apart. He said not to use constant sounds, so I assume I should use combined, and ferrous coin. Thanks again for your info and knowledge, Gene

Pitch hold is the only setting I use. I picked it up while using the e-trac and brought it along to the ctx. Like GK said a target that is partially missed will cause a pitch change in the threshold to alert you of a potential target. The missed target could be - 1 off to the side of the coil 2 too deep 3 to fast of a sweep speed (blow over the target) especially in trash. This is a deadly setting on my trips to England, nobody comes close to my no. of hammered silver coin(not counting hoards) Pitch hold is not for everyone but give it a honest try good luck
hh Jeff

I've used pitch hold myself. I usually grid an area using combine/ferrous coin with normal tone pulling all the medium and high tones. Then the next time I go back I will go over the same area with ground coin using pitch hold. If I missed anything I can usually find it with pitch hold.

interesting read here, I've never tried the pitch hold but plan to soon. This kinda stuff is why I frequent this forum.

HH

I tried the pitch hold on an area that has produced good in the past for civil war relics, not much trash either. I didn't dig a thing. I will experiment with it some more but some real world experience would help if someone would like to chime in. I was using HT and 50 conductive.

Thanks

Check my video on my latest hunt, I regridded the area I got the 1889 Indian head penny on Monday and popped a 1919 Dime and a 1890 Vickie Fishscale using Ground-Coin/50 Conductive with pitch hold.

That's great Georgia....

Des posted that particular TreasureTalk blog prior to the introduction of the CTX3030. But as you have eluded to, several "settings" found in the earlier FBS models can be beneficial when using the CTX3030. With that said, thanks for bringing it to the attention of those who may not be familiar with the functionality of the previous models. HH Randy

PMonday said:
I tried the pitch hold on an area that has produced good in the past for civil war relics, not much trash either. I didn't dig a thing. I will experiment with it some more but some real world experience would help if someone would like to chime in. I was using HT and 50 conductive.

Thanks

I am not surprised you didn't find anything new. Like I mentioned earlier I believe that it is going to be a help for those times when there was something besides the detector that was making noise around you, like rustling leaves, jet overhead, or my personal favorite daydreaming.....But, if it worked for Georgia in an even better way that's great!

Pitch hold can be useful to some. But the beauty of this platform is that we can tweak it to our own style of hunting. Basically, instead of hearing a steady Threshold pitch (which we can set at a given frequency), Pitch hold simply varies the Threshold to an audio pitch representing the response tone generated by the last target passed over. Some folks (like me) are in a "comfort zone" when listening for changes in a Threshold that always returns to a certain pitch. Others would prefer to not "go back to" a Threshold tone that is set to a given frequency, and listen to changes made by the next target. I prefer to have the Threshold go back to a set frequency for the following reason..... if I am detecting in an area where there are multiple targets of the same metallic content, with Pitch Hold, there will be no change in Threshold pitch when I go from one to the other. In other words, if I happen to pass over a dime and get a high tone, the detector will continue to produce that high tone (as a Threshold) as I continue to sweep the coil. IF an adjacent target is another dime, the pitch will not change. It might sound clipped or broken. But the Threshold in Pitch Hold will be the same pitch frequency as the second coin. And depending on how you have your Volume Gain and Volume Limit, it could be difficult to hear that second dime.

If folks are going to make the effort to learn Pitch Hold, I'd encourage you to use multiple tone audio. When using Combined Audio, you only have five different target responses available. Depending on how you set up your bins, your Threshold tone could end up being the same tone for a "keepers" as it as for that last piece of "trash". As such, continuing to hear one of those five tones for a Threshold tone, instead of setting a separate pitch for the Threshold, you'll need to pay very close attention to how each target responds.....not just listening for a change of pitch. JMHO HH Randy

Digger said:
Pitch hold can be useful to some. But the beauty of this platform is that we can tweak it to our own style of hunting. Basically, instead of hearing a steady Threshold pitch (which we can set at a given frequency), Pitch hold simply varies the Threshold to an audio pitch representing the response tone generated by the last target passed over. Some folks (like me) are in a "comfort zone" when listening for changes in a Threshold that always returns to a certain pitch. Others would prefer to not "go back to" a Threshold tone that is set to a given frequency, and listen to changes made by the next target. I prefer to have the Threshold go back to a set frequency for the following reason..... if I am detecting in an area where there are multiple targets of the same metallic content, with Pitch Hold, there will be no change in Threshold pitch when I go from one to the other. In other words, if I happen to pass over a dime and get a high tone, the detector will continue to produce that high tone (as a Threshold) as I continue to sweep the coil. IF an adjacent target is another dime, the pitch will not change. It might sound clipped or broken. But the Threshold in Pitch Hold will be the same pitch frequency as the second coin. And depending on how you have your Volume Gain and Volume Limit, it could be difficult to hear that second dime.

If folks are going to make the effort to learn Pitch Hold, I'd encourage you to use multiple tone audio. When using Combined Audio, you only have five different target responses available. Depending on how you set up your bins, your Threshold tone could end up being the same tone for a "keepers" as it as for that last piece of "trash". As such, continuing to hear one of those five tones for a Threshold tone, instead of setting a separate pitch for the Threshold, you'll need to pay very close attention to how each target responds.....not just listening for a change of pitch. JMHO HH Randy

Good points as usual Randy...I detect with a low gain since I like to hear the weaker signals, I would like to think I am not missing anything because of using Pitch Hold but who knows?

Funny, I don't recall anyone talking about the Pitch Hold setting until this thread came up...

GKMan said:
Funny, I don't recall anyone talking about the Pitch Hold setting until this thread came up...

I believe you are correct, as I don't remember it being discussed on this forum either. Thanks again (to G.E. Edwards and you) for enlightening those who may not be familiar with the functionality of the previous models. HH Randy

I recommended it to Rick a while back because of his experience with Sovereigns and his hearing problems...Any Sovereign or Excalibur user will be familiar with pitch hold..Many use tricks to reset the threshold to what they prefer like a tack or nickel in there shoe to return to a low tone or sweeping near a beach scoop to get to a high tone... I dont use it personally ...wildherre

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1920479,1921671#msg-1921671

It just didn't get the attention it deserved that time around