Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A question . .

MNCoinhunter

When did metal detecting stop being a working man's hobby, and become a pastime for people driving around in $40,000 SUV's and sipping lattes ? Did I miss something ?

Well I'm a working class metal detectorist who drives an old Jeep and prefers my coffee hot and black. Ha! Maybe what you're talking about happened after Hollywood started airing metal detecting programs??

When my buddy plays golf, I think there are a bunch of rich guys that say sort of the same thing only the other way around.. :usaflag:

McDave said:
When did metal detecting stop being a working man's hobby, and become a pastime for people driving around in $40,000 SUV's and sipping lattes ? Did I miss something ?[/quot

ahhhhhhhhhhh man ..You saw me didn't you ................:rofl:

McDave said:
When did metal detecting stop being a working man's hobby, and become a pastime for people driving around in $40,000 SUV's and sipping lattes ? Did I miss something ?
My Escalade was 80K not 40K and by the way , when did this hobby become a closed club to the less fortunate ? You should be happy with your hunt for treasures and a little less jealous of others !!!!

Elton ... It was YOU wasn't it ? I knew it !! haha !!!

roadapple said:
McDave said:
My Escalade was 80K not 40K and by the way , when did this hobby become a closed club to the less fortunate ? You should be happy with your hunt for treasures and a little less jealous of others !!!!

All of the wealthy people I ever ran into turned the noses up at a guy with mud on his knees, goodwill shoes, hand-me-down jeans, digging it the dirt for lose change! I mean nobody driving a $80k car is going around looking for $1.40 in clad, or a 1951 silver dime!
I mean they wear $300.00 shoes,
eat $130.00 meals,
Fly anywhere they travel that's more than 100 miles,
the stay in $250.00 a night hotels.
They used to think of us as nothing more than bums!
Now all of a sudden metal detecting is a rich man's past time??

I can see the shift, now is it good or bad?? probably bad. Us guys with the dirty knees can fix the rich folks fine automobiles, fix their plumbing, put a roof on their $500.00 home, but we shouldn't be allowed to own a metal detector, or dine in their country clubs.

Mark

roadapple .. I never mentioned being jealous did I ? I drive a Chevy minivan that I paid $900 for .. You make hefty Escalade payments so you can brag to everyone about it, like your post above. I have a wonderful family and a happy existence without being materialistic. Carry on ..

And MarkCZ nailed it .. Anyone with money spilling out of their a$$es used to laugh at us. Different ballgame today ..

OK guys enough of the i got u got we are all dirt diggers in the end with the same mission and joy of the hobby when you see another one of us we dirt ask how rich you are we ask find anything and say great if they did so lighten up we"re the same out there

Just because I have my butler swing the detector for me while I follow along in a golf cart sipping margaritas, that DOESN'T mean that I don't have JUST as much passion for the hobby as anyone else!

LOL! My official detecting vehicle is my 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 290,000 some miles on it.

I'd say someone with a $70,000 SUV out detecting just might be a very successful detectorist! :rofl:

WHAT'S THIS???-----After all the work of finding the target--I'm expected to get down & dig the target TO???----Why--I might get my knees dirty or sumthin!!!:yikes::biggrin:

Statistically speaking, all of us on this Forum are by Far some of the most wealthiest men our age on the Planet..indeed throughout all recorded time.:surprised:

If you are over 50yrs old and have ZERO debt and at least $20 in your pocket, and have the time and gear to read this post, you are in the top .001% of the wealthiest Men on this Planet...if you have a few gold items in your possession and some silver coins, a dog and a gun, average health, you are truly King Midas!

I like the butler/golfcart thing MrWilburino brought up! Along with a few hot girls dressed in french maid costumes along to do the digging of course..:rofl:

Attempting to acquire wealth is often a temporary and unprofitable exersize , we have all given it a shot through traditional channels of employment, businesses, investments, etc...for some it worked, for some it didnt, just blind luck..TIME and GOLD wait for nobody...we detectorists have more time and gold than most, in that regard, we are a brotherhood of subsistance hunters...:thumbup:
Mud

Anyone ever ask Charles Garrett why he was such an avid treasure hunter? It's not so much what you find, it's the excitement of finding treasure no matter how large or small. Admittedly large is more fun. You never know what's coming out of the next scoop in the sand or the next hole you dig. I love it!!!! HH

I for one welcome as many rich and powerful people to this hobby as care to take it up. Their clout can be used to keep this hobby alive and legal.

It's easy to push ordinary Joe's around but not so easy to push around the Jones.

HH
John

If one only measures Wealth by counting Money then they will never be Wealthy. I do not have a lot of money but I am Wealthy beyond measure. I am 74 Years old. Still physically able to get out and do things that excite me and keep me happy. I have been married to the Same Lady for nearly 51 years. She still thinks that I am the catch of her life. I have a home that is paid for and does not leak when it rains. I have two sons and five grandchildren that mean the world to me.

I even have a few friends.

Yes I may not be what some would call wealthy but it is my opinion that I am far wealthier than most Multimillionaires. They are all worried about making more millions while I am enjoying the short period of time that I will be here on this earth. Yes I am VERY WEALTHY. Please dont begrudge us Wealthy Folks our time out detecting.

Mud------Whar in tha worl did you git all those fancy words??? Sure sounded Purdy!! You mush be one of those Jones fellars!~------Whoops, scuse me---I gotta grab mah shovel & run---I hear mah boss ah hollerin from his golf cart! ;)
mudpuppy said:
Statistically speaking, all of us on this Forum are by Far some of the most wealthiest men our age on the Planet..indeed throughout all recorded time.:surprised:

If you are over 50yrs old and have ZERO debt and at least $20 in your pocket, and have the time and gear to read this post, you are in the top .001% of the wealthiest Men on this Planet...if you have a few gold items in your possession and some silver coins, a dog and a gun, average health, you are truly King Midas!

I like the butler/golfcart thing MrWilburino brought up! Along with a few hot girls dressed in french maid costumes along to do the digging of course..:rofl:

Attempting to acquire wealth is often a temporary and unprofitable exersize , we have all given it a shot through traditional channels of employment, businesses, investments, etc...for some it worked, for some it didnt, just blind luck..TIME and GOLD wait for nobody...we detectorists have more time and gold than most, in that regard, we are a brotherhood of subsistance hunters...:thumbup:
Mud

All i want to do in life is enjoy my detecting and as soon as those headphones go on and the detector is switched on it gets me away from politics,religion and everything in general,what other people's status in life is none of my business and of course i keep my status private as well.

Have been lucky to be able to retire at 50,i have good health and enjoy my detecting to the full,it dont get much better than that.

Mega B said:
All i want to do in life is enjoy my detecting and as soon as those headphones go on and the detector is switched on it gets me away from politics,religion and everything in general,what other people's status in life is none of my business and of course i keep my status private as well.

Have been lucky to be able to retire at 50,i have good health and enjoy my detecting to the full,it dont get much better than that.
Amen, to that brother ! This whole thing about who has what ever and who has not doesn't amount to a hill of beans. What does matter is we all enjoy this hobby and playing in the dirt !!!!:detecting:

Doesn't matter who you are....you're born with 0 and you'll leave with 0