Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A serious question for you folks that seek and find civil war relics.

I hunted a battle site last week with a friend. I was overwhelmed with emotion just being on the ground. I had a small battle flag that belonged to a field battery commander in that battle. It was a flag from an reunion meeting of Confederate soldiers. Anyway I unfurled the flag and stuck it in the ground where I hit my first signal. I found a small piece of shrapnel. I carried the flag from that point on in my finds bag. I had 3 great,great uncles who took part in this paticular engagement. My friend and I were probably within 50 yards of each other the entire hunt. At one point I went into a wooded area and lost sight of him. At that point I felt very alone,very vigilant and aware of spirits all around me. I smelled blood,gun powder,sweat and muddy earth. I was down in a draw and came upon what appeared to be a fixed fighting position consisting of downed tree's, rotting fence rails that were stacked in a box shape. It was over grown with vines and moss covered. At this point I felt like running back to the top of the ridge. It was hot,I was tired and sweating profusely. I suddenly came upon a huge Oak that had to be at least 200 yrs. old. I took comfort in the shade of that tree and started talking to it. I said ole' boy you must have seen,heard and felt it all. How many did you shelter,how many scars do you have? I found it very conforting and rested there about 10 min. before resuming my search. I furled my flag at that point. Anyway a very emotional,exciting and respectful outing. My friend found several bullets,one being flat sided with grooves in it. We briefly mentioned that it probably hit bone. I didn't find any bullets but did find a grapeshot and what appears to be the top section off a flintlock musket. The part that screws down to hold the flint in place. There were civilians who took part in this battle that probably carried flints. I left that site talking to the spirits , saying man you guys must have had a really bad time. I'm going to post a picture of my finds when I get my camera charged up.

Grunter said:
I hunted a battle site last week with a friend. I was overwhelmed with emotion just being on the ground. I had a small battle flag that belonged to a field battery commander in that battle. It was a flag from an reunion meeting of Confederate soldiers. Anyway I unfurled the flag and stuck it in the ground where I hit my first signal. I found a small piece of shrapnel. I carried the flag from that point on in my finds bag. I had 3 great,great uncles who took part in this paticular engagement. My friend and I were probably within 50 yards of each other the entire hunt. At one point I went into a wooded area and lost sight of him. At that point I felt very alone,very vigilant and aware of spirits all around me. I smelled blood,gun powder,sweat and muddy earth. I was down in a draw and came upon what appeared to be a fixed fighting position consisting of downed tree's, rotting fence rails that were stacked in a box shape. It was over grown with vines and moss covered. At this point I felt like running back to the top of the ridge. It was hot,I was tired and sweating profusely. I suddenly came upon a huge Oak that had to be at least 200 yrs. old. I took comfort in the shade of that tree and started talking to it. I said ole' boy you must have seen,heard and felt it all. How many did you shelter,how many scars do you have? I found it very conforting and rested there about 10 min. before resuming my search. I furled my flag at that point. Anyway a very emotional,exciting and respectful outing. My friend found several bullets,one being flat sided with grooves in it. We briefly mentioned that it probably hit bone. I didn't find any bullets but did find a grapeshot and what appears to be the top section off a flintlock musket. The part that screws down to hold the flint in place. There were civilians who took part in this battle that probably carried flints. I left that site talking to the spirits , saying man you guys must have had a really bad time. I'm going to post a picture of my finds when I get my camera charged up.
Thats very cool to have a place like that to hunt/visit. Heck, I would love just being there at a place like that and doing just what you said, just taking it in, forget about hunting, just take it in. There is a place here that I go to deer hunt that I found an old cemetary on, just out in the middle of the woods, grown over, from the late 1700's to mid 1800's, and everytime I go there I stop by there to have my lunch and "talk" to these people, wondering who they are and why they are abandoned, where are your familys now etc. Glad I'm not the only "freak" here.LOL. I cleaned it up a bit and do so whenever I go out there. I just hate that pepole get forgotten about
You should go back to that big tree and run your detector up and down it, maybe it will talk to you some more. :thumbup:
Thanks for your reply.
Ken.

I live in Port Hudson La for 40 something years. It was the longest siege of the Civil war,48 days. Roughly 30000 Union troops were pitted against 6800 Confederates. On the morning of May 27 1863, the Union army launched ferocious assaults against the 5 mile long string of earthworks protecting.These actions contituted some of the bloodiest and most severe fighting in the entire Civil War. I have brong people relic hunting in area oround here and told them about the history and it seem like it goes in one ear and out the other. Well this is my home town, and appreciate the history every time I dig a dig a relic.Good to hear some other do the same. Check out some of my videos. HH DIGGINDEEPSOUTHLA[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uSGUyAK_bA[/video]

I had already found your vids. :thumbup: I'm truly envious of you guys that get to hunt areas like that.
Good hunting.
Ken.

Here is the picture of my finds. I believe the item far left is the top off a flinter. Maybe you long time hunters can ID it for me.

Hi Ken, Great post, and for sure it expresses how most all of us feel, especially when we dig a CW or any Patriotic related find. I really appreciate your concern for encouraging the interest of History in your kids. That is no easy job now days with all the other activities today's kids are pressured into, I have seen little or no evidence of History(especially Patriotic) having been taught my grown Grandkids. Real shame, and fact is, it is to much taken for granted , and if anything, History is being re- written to a large degree in much of our nation's schools today.I was in the VA hospital back in the 80's with a WW1 Vet for my roomate. He had suffered terribly in that war. Ever since then when I visit the VA for my Physical, I always pay special attention to how the crowd always reflects the different wars, and as they file back and forth in the halls and waiting rooms, I can't help but wonder of all the personal experiences each of them had in their times of service. The WW2 Troops ranks are becomming fewer and fewer, and it won't be long before they will all join the CW Troops. Absolutely,hopefully we can all become touched with that softer feeling in appreciation for what's gone on before. And "take heart", those CW digs are like gold, and are not always found on the battlefields and campsites, but many times are found on those Trooper's old homesites and farms.HH Charlie

fowlercharles said:
Hi Ken, Great post, and for sure it expresses how most all of us feel, especially when we dig a CW or any Patriotic related find. I really appreciate your concern for encouraging the interest of History in your kids. That is no easy job now days with all the other activities today's kids are pressured into, I have seen little or no evidence of History(especially Patriotic) having been taught my grown Grandkids. Real shame, and fact is, it is to much taken for granted , and if anything, History is being re- written to a large degree in much of our nation's schools today.I was in the VA hospital back in the 80's with a WW1 Vet for my roomate. He had suffered terribly in that war. Ever since then when I visit the VA for my Physical, I always pay special attention to how the crowd always reflects the different wars, and as they file back and forth in the halls and waiting rooms, I can't help but wonder of all the personal experiences each of them had in their times of service. The WW2 Troops ranks are becomming fewer and fewer, and it won't be long before they will all join the CW Troops. Absolutely,hopefully we can all become touched with that softer feeling in appreciation for what's gone on before. And "take heart", those CW digs are like gold, and are not always found on the battlefields and campsites, but many times are found on those Trooper's old homesites and farms.HH Charlie

Thanks for your reply and comments Charlie. I hear ya about the lack of teaching and concern of our history in schools. When I was in school I didnt like history classes, but now I see and fully understand that without it, we are, as a nation, completely without direction. We dont know where we are going or how to get there because so many in leadership today lack the knowledge of their own country's past and the significants of it. Sometimes I imagine what the scene would be if the ghosts of the soldiers from our past wars along with our founding fathers could visit us today and see what we've become. I can see the looks of shock and sadness and disbelief on their faces saying "This is the country I fought for?" "You want to build WHAT at Gettysburg?" Anyway, thanks again to everyone.

i collect a lot of Indian artifacts. Each time I find one- I ponder about it. Who made it, what happened to the Indian, who is the Indian that had it,why is it where I am standing. Many questions flow through my mind. The same is true for the Civil War relics. Many questions will always be unanswered. That's what makes it so fascinating and intriguing.