Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A serious question for you folks that seek and find civil war relics.

As someone who has grown to love our history, I'm curious, when you dig up an obvious war related target, say a bullet, or buckle or whatever, does it "do anything" to you, I mean, do you take some time to just look at it and ponder the time, the moment that piece was left there, or is it just an interesting piece that goes in your pile or collection of "stuff"? I'm still very new to this, just a couple of months in, but I have a fasination with that time in our history and have had since I first saw Ken Burn's-The Civil War. I just finished watching it again for the first time since it aired in '90 and I cannot believe how it moves me to think, to feel, to appreciate what happened right here on OUR soil. I've gotten "softer" as the years have rolled by and I just think about it differently now than when I was in school, it means something now. I have yet to hunt a place where there are civil war relics to be found, but I know how I will feel if I ever do. 5 years ago I decided to do something different on Memorial Day, before the usual family deal with BBQ and games, I took my wife and kids to Jefferson Barracks here in MO. I wanted to hopefully begin to give my kids an appreciation for the sacrifices that has allowed them to have and keep their freedoms. I hadnt been there since I was in my late teens when we buried a family member, and really couldnt have cared less about what I saw, but when I took my kids I could hardly even get the words out without being overcome with emotion. I took them to my Grandfather's grave, a man I never met, I just knew he was a WWI vet. I took the kids to the cemetary to give them a bit of a lesson, but it was the cemetary that talked to me, and to be honest, I wasnt prepared for that, but it was a great experience for us all. Anyway, now that I've gotten all sappy, I was just curious what your finds mean to YOU.
Good hunting!
Ken.

The kids with Great Grandpa.

Great post. Ive been hunting civil war relics for awhile now and every single item whether it be a bullet,button,buckle or even something like a horseshoe cleaner that i unearth i always take a moment and imagine in my head what the soldier that used whatever item i just dug must of been going through. When i find virgin camp sites,every item i dig i try and visualize the camp as it was to them and i think of all the sick and wounded soldiers that were lying in certain areas. I dug a confederate block I just a few days ago and in the same hole their was a smashed .58 three ringer and i thought to myself this button could of came off a confederate that was dropped by that .58 right where i dug em. I just really really appreciate the civil war historical aspect of it all. On the other hand,i have a couple digging buddies that are almost in a race when we are detecting. They dig a bullet and instantly fill the hole back up,throw the bullet in their pocket and start again like their scared of missing something in the ground but to each his own i guess. Anyway,great post and god bless!

i joke about 3 ringer because i find alot here where i am but make no mistake i love to find each and every one of them. the dropped one i think what could have been going on to make this person drop their ammo or the buttons and other clothing articals allways stirs my imagination. if you would like a chance to find some of these things i would be happy to take you out to some of my spots. i dont know what part of MO. you are from but i live in a little town called ironton where a battle took place and the old fort is still here. the confederates took up possition on 3 hills that over look the fort and the city put a gravel parking lot on on of them to give people access and metal detecting is welcome except for on the fort feild itself.

The feeling you eloquently describe begins way before you recover any item or relic. It happens to you when your walking on any ground ,camp,field,property they may have stood on.You can't help but look around and wonder how thing may have appeared in that period . You can't help but wondered what happened to the troops before they arrived to that site and what became of them afterward. Any item or relic that has been lost or burried for 150 plus years and found or recoverd tells a story. It is a story one can not help but to hear when holding that found piece of history.

nailfinder said:
i joke about 3 ringer because i find alot here where i am but make no mistake i love to find each and every one of them. the dropped one i think what could have been going on to make this person drop their ammo or the buttons and other clothing articals allways stirs my imagination. if you would like a chance to find some of these things i would be happy to take you out to some of my spots. i dont know what part of MO. you are from but i live in a little town called ironton where a battle took place and the old fort is still here. the confederates took up possition on 3 hills that over look the fort and the city put a gravel parking lot on on of them to give people access and metal detecting is welcome except for on the fort feild itself.
Oh yes, I know very well where Ironton is, my Dad was born and raised there. Before the Elephnt Rocks was a park my grandpa had a cabin right there. They used the quarry holes for bathing. :lol: Yep, know about the fort too, went there with the kids last year and walked around it, but the visitor center was closed. Are you from there? Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Ken.

Great letter kymer74.

I just recently found a Confederate buckle while hunting near my home and when it popped out of the ground, I got chills thinking about what may have happened for it to get there. I sat there for a couple of minutes wondering if the person that wore it may have been killed in that spot or did he just lose it.I will never know, but the feeling of holding something that had been in the ground for 150 years and the thought of the sacrifices that were made was a moment I will never forget.

The first time I walked on a Civil War battlefield, the hair on my neck was standing up. Like tomtom said, it starts long before you find anything.

my family is from graniteville. Elephant rock was my back yard as a kid. the house we lived in was on quarry property i left the area for four years in the Marine Corps. but other than that i have been in this area all my life that would be 40 years now. i know all about bathing in the quarry since most of the houses up there didn't have running water ours included. I now live in the ironton area but still have family and freinds in the graniteville area

nailfinder said:
my family is from graniteville. Elephant rock was my back yard as a kid. the house we lived in was on quarry property i left the area for four years in the Marine Corps. but other than that i have been in this area all my life that would be 40 years now. i know all about bathing in the quarry since most of the houses up there didn't have running water ours included. I now live in the ironton area but still have family and freinds in the graniteville area
Sent you a PM.

Been hunting since 1978 and if I ever cease to get excited about digging a fired mine ball I need to just stop hunting.

Barry

ngrelic said:
Been hunting since 1978 and if I ever cease to get excited about digging a fired mine ball I need to just stop hunting.

Barry

I'm the same way. I havent been hunting quite that long but lead is still my favorite color !!! I simply love holding all that history in my hands. cch.

I started metal detecting originally to find coins but when I found my first CW relic, a US Bit boss, I was forever hooked on CW relic hunting. For me there is not much greater thrill than uncovering a bullet, button or other relic last handled by a Civil War soldier. I've found a lot of bullets since my first 69 cal 3 ringer but none of them is any less a treasure to me than the first was. I'm still searching for my 1st belt buckle or box plate but every little piece I find tells part of a very moving story so they're all important to me. I too am in Missouri, Cape Girardeau. Not much in the way of "battle/skirmish" relics here but lots of Union relics dropped by soldiers who were stationed or camped here around town. Dirt slinger and nailfinder, we might have to get a Missouri CW detectors group together!

Hard to describe the feeling you get when you are the first person to hold an item since the Civil War. But that feeling that I get is exactly why I do it!

Hello Dirt Slinger, From another Missourian. Your post is great. My wife an i have just started CW relic hunting. Like most we were just coin hunters. My wife found a 36cal pistol bullet on a coin hunt at Bloomfield MO. Thats what got us started. An it is a great feeling when you dig up anything war related. I just wish we had some more places to go hunt at. I get charged by watching vids of CCH. he inspires me with his finds. Ok enough blabbing. Good luck an have fun. HH
ric

I'm glad to see that so many are as passionate as you are about it. For those who may not be as "ate up" as some of us, thats fine, this post isnt to critique anyones personal views or feelings about relics you find, just wondered if any out there thought as I do. I was the guy who didnt give a flip, even when I was in the Army from age 18-23 I was not NEARLY as patriotic as I am now, I just didnt care about my heritage. I really regret that now. I was stationed at Ft Jackson SC, then Ft Lee VA which had GREAT military museums that I just briefly strolled through, museums that I'd LOVE to see now. Hard to believe that to date I've never dug a single CW relic, but I hope to, thats my goal in this hobby, to hold things in my hand that were made and used by people/soldiers 150 years ago or more. The coins are fun, but not so much what I'm after. Anyway, there I go again. :lol: Good luck hunting guys, and thanks for sharing your thoughts here. :thumbup:
Ken.

Hunting for Civil War relics is just plain fascinating to me! I have found a lot since my first ringtail sharps bullet and every one since then leaves me feeling the same way. I have since found items, though, that are more personal to the soldiers that were camped and fighting in my area such as chewed camp bullets, chewed hospital pain bullets and campsite wedding bands. Now these types of items sure get my wheels spinning as I visualize camp life back then. When you pick up a bullet that has a Civil War soldiers' actual tooth indentions in it you instantly try and figure out what was going on in this person's mind at that particular time. Was he hurting or just chewing on it to pass the time while in camp?? I have always said that I would run over coins to just have an opportunity of finding CW relics!! I guess it is in my blood as an uncle of mine, one of whom I share the name, led one of the most well known "Charges" of the entire war!! Hopefully, one day, I will get to go to Gettysburg and walk the same mile as that group of brave men! See, we are all a bit sentimental when it comes to this! Keep huntin, you will find that first relic, but be prepared to be hooked for sure when it comes to light!!:detecting:

I always expereince a profound sense of awe. Every single time.

In my opinion, Joshua Chamerlain said it best:

"In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays. Forms change and pass; bodies disappear, but spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision-place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to see where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field to ponder and dream; And lo! the shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into their souls."

Speaking at the dedication of the Monument to the 20th Maine
October 3, 1889, Gettysburg, PA

csbutton said:
I always expereince a profound sense of awe. Every single time.

In my opinion, Joshua Chamerlain said it best:

"In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays. Forms change and pass; bodies disappear, but spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision-place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to see where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field to ponder and dream; And lo! the shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into their souls."

Speaking at the dedication of the Monument to the 20th Maine
October 3, 1889, Gettysburg, PA

WOW!! That is it right there, thats exactly what guys here have expressed. When I was watching "The Civil War" last week, Shelby Foote commented that everytime he visited a battlefield he could feel that presence, he said everyone feels it. I have to get to some of these battlefields before they are gone. Thanks for sharing that. JLC was quite a man. :thumbup:
Ken.

Chamberlain had a way of expressing feelings and thoughts that, at least for me, go straight to the heart. Take the time to read his account of the surrender at Appomattox...it is heart-rending. That account is also special to me because he takes the trouble to honor Semmes Brigade with his words...the brigade of the majority of my Confederate ancestors.