Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A tight pattern test for etrac users who don't believe discrimination loses depth

Elmy

got to the edit screen and set your pattern for a 1 inch box, the small one at the top.
Run that 1 inch box all the way across the screen on the 12 fe line. Load into smart find.
now hit quick mask button and open it up wide open....

set manual sensitivity at 24 and air check a clad dime with the 12 fe pattern you made....
Now test it again but press quick mask button to check it with an open pattern....

Is there any difference using a discrimination pattern vrs a open screen pattern ?

Does discrimination affect depth on an etrac ? Some say it helps with a little discrimination....
YOU BE THE JUDGE.......it works the same on all detectors or at least it has in the past.

E L M Y

got to the edit screen and set your pattern for a 1 inch box, the small one at the top.
Run that 1 inch box all the way across the screen on the 12 fe line. Load into smart find.
now hit quick mask button and open it up wide open....

set manual sensitivity at 24 and air check a clad dime with the 12 fe pattern you made....
Now test it again but press quick mask button to check it with an open pattern....

Is there any difference using a discrimination pattern vrs a open screen pattern ?

Does discrimination affect depth on an etrac ? Some say it helps with a little discrimination....
YOU BE THE JUDGE.......it works the same on all detectors or at least it has in the past.

E L M Y
You are right i used your 1-10 pattern and to check targets with the open patern and man did they come in load and clear!

If I understand your premise, my question is "why" does a tight pattern/a lot of discrimination lose depth? Does it "crimp" or "squeeze" depth at the bottom of the signal??

Guys Elmy is right on with what he is saying.
But another way to look at it is rather than loss of depth, it is just not detecting. I started noticing this but hadn't got it figured out until I hooked up with Elmy.
So if you put a dime on top of the ground and swing over it you should see something like a 12-44 or 12-45. Now as you raise the coil you will notice that the 12fe number will start to increase in the down screen direction 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and so on. The CO number will jump around but will kind of hold the 44 or 45.

So if you only have the fe line 12 open as soon as you go deep enough that you drop out of line 12 you have just disc the dime out. And if you think about what Elmy said that is the same with most all other detectors. If you are running on the edge of detection for surface coins and then go over one that is 6" or more your machine is just not telling you anything, it is disc out.

Back to E-Trac, so if you want to get that dime at depth you need to open up lines from 11 down to 20 or so Fe and CO's like 42 to 45. Now these are not numbers that you would want make a pattern with. Just a thought as to how and what the machine is doing and why the loss of depth with a tight pattern.

Now for a little understanding of how some trash works, (screw caps). So I thought I would just try to take out screw caps that are pretty big and not really all that deep. So the ones that were giving me the problem were coming in something like 12-38. I disc them out and now I am still digging them at 12-39 and 12-40. So more disc and now they are coming in at 12-41 and up. The more disc and they were in the 12-44 & 45. So if you open up where they want to come in at they will and you can do your disc in your head and let screw caps be there for somebody else. So if you have some problem trash just open it up in it's own box and move on to good targets. Screw caps are big and load so I think they push the disc on the E-trac.

You guys take care and watch for Elmy's post, he has done a lot of testing and hunting and he knows what he is talking about.

Ron in WV

Man, 👆 this ! So helpful. I'm still learning my E-Trac and have a long way to go. This kind of information is vital to getting those deep targets. I'm no pro at this but any information like this is truly appreciated. Thanks for all the information Elmy and everyone else.

So good to see Elmy's (y)

Just wanted to wish you well, YOU are one in a million.
Ron in WV