Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A week and North Myrtle Beach, SC beach hunting and hunting sharks teeth.

Dick from NC

Got down to North Myrtle beach,SC to do some work at the trailer and get in some beach hunting. Finially dug a tungesten carbide wedding band. Had a blast although it was hot.

Beauty! Nice work on all those finds... Including the fossils. Looks like a couple of good Equus molars in there too.

n/t

As it happens I came back from the beach in order to attend a meeting at the Rankin Museum in Ellerbe, NC. The Richmond County Historical Society had a meeting there today and the lady that oversees the museum told me that the tooth was indeed a horse tooth. It has to very old since it is petrified. I also had a small item that I had no idea what it was and she told me that it was a ray plate, which answered 2 of my questions. I'm ready to head back to the beach as soon as I can.

Did you dig and sift for them? Thats what we do in the rivers in FL.

NO. These came from walking along the water line as the waves wash in and out and watching for the teeth. I've found if you walk in about ankle deep water you can see the teeth as they roll in and try to catch them before they get covered up. After a while you get use to see the shapes of the small teeth and even odd shapes that turn out to be bones or something unusual. I don't throw anything away until I know what it is. I picked up some items that I didn't know what they were but were unusual. They turned out to be a horse tooth and a ray plate. This is really a learning process, but a lot of fun. Some times you can find some large teeth if your lucky. I found a 3 inch meg tooth at Myrtle Beach while metal detecting and people were walking by and didn't even see it.

Good call on the horse teeth. I still don't see um but that's not unusual.:thumbup::please:
Cal

I think most of the Megalodon teeth are around 16 million years old. They didn't speculate on how old the horse teeth were did they?
Check these out
http://www.thefossilgallery.com/teeth.htm

I'm using an Excalibur 800. As I'm detecting I'm looking for sharks teeth. Every once in a while you may dig a 50 calib. machine gun shell or slug. That area was used as a gunnery range off shore during WWII. When you go down give me an e-mail and I may be down at the same time. Good luck and happy hunting.

The tooth I believe dates from the Miocene period 25 to 5 million years and was possibly a hypsodont horse. The tooth is petrified. This is why I don't throw anything away until I know what it is.

Nice pics, Thanks for the info!
I'll have to keep my eyes open now I guess:yikes:
Cal