Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

About that multi-frequency Thang.

BarnacleBill

I have seen several questions and some misinformation about the multi-freq issue.

The commonly used VLF detector operates on a single frequency unless it is like an X-terra that changes when the coils are swapped out. Below are the waveforms from an X-terra X-30, Fisher ID Excel, and Fisher CZ-20 measured on one of my digital O-scopes.

[attachment 232819 ComboWForms.gif]

The first two(X30 & Excel) are sine waves, with the CZ-20 being a square wave. Now the CZ-20 the Scope has locked onto the Fundamental frequency of 5KHz and yet the CZ-20 is a dual frequency detector. In order to see both frequencies we turn to a Spectrum Analyzer where we can see the Fundamental and Harmonic at 15KHz.

[attachment 232820 cz20wvF.jpg]

Now if you are going to measure the transmit output of a FBS detector with a Frequency Counter or O-Scope you have to be careful because it will trigger on what it finds most convenient. What's being transmitted is a complex waveform and your counter depending on how it is adjusted is locking onto what it finds most convenient. Below is an example of the waveform with various rising & falling edges which your counter could be locking on to. Also notice the small horizontal blue markers(lines), the signal is processed in the time domain and the algorithms(software) of the computing engine is where the magic happens in comparison to frequency domain processing used in non-BBS/FBS detectors.

[attachment 232821 Bruce.gif]

OK so where are the multiple frequencies coming from? Well time and frequency are the inverse and rectangular waves are a complex variant of the square waves like used in the CZ-20.

Below is a little graphic I made showing how you can derive multiple frequencies by sampling the waveform at various time periods.

[attachment 232822 scope.gif]

By varying the length of the pulses and spacings you can create a wide variety of frequencies. Measuring the FBS transmit output on a bench doesn't really give the whole picture, because once the detector begins to measure the ground it can vary the transmit waveform.

The FBS detectors listen in on what Minelab calls three Channels. The purpose of the three Channels is to have optimum frequencies for low conductive targets, medium conductive targets, and high conductive targets being processed all at once.

Oddly enough some of the above general concept is related to the X-terra platform. On the X-terra you have a choice of 3KHz, 7.5KHz, plus 18.75KHz coils and those frequencies are NOT harmonically related. Now let's design a new X-terra model called the Variable X-terra. It will transmit on all three frequencies at once, but it will have the ability to automatically vary it's three core frequencies widely within a certain Band(or as Minelab calls it on FBS a Channel). Let's predefine our band(Channel)limits; our 3KHz can automatically vary from 2KHz to 5Khz, our 7.5KHz from 6KHz to 12Khz, and our 18.75KHz from 15KHz to 23KHz. So we are standing in a field and turn on the Variable X-terra.....the internal computer takes a look at the conditions and says wait a minute we have some problems here. The ground is showing a strong response at 18.75KHz so off the computer goes and chooses 17KHz as our Low Conductivity Channel. Likewise 3KHz is showing EMI problems so the computer searches around and finds 4KHz as quiet and that is our High Conductivity Channel. It turns out 7.5KHz is just ducky so the computer leaves that alone. None of the chosen frequencies are harmonically related because of the use of "multi-period rectangular waves".

Why is this superior to a Fundamental plus two harmonics? Because in order to shift the Harmonics I "have to" shift the Fundamental. And if I end up in a situation where I "have to" shift the Fundamental then the two harmonics are going to shift also. Now consider where I have an EMI issue on the Fundamental frequency but when I shift it I run into an EMI issue on one of my Harmonics, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Using the FBS method it can arbitrarily shift the frequencies to optimize the detector. Therefore because of the "multi-period rectangular waves" Minelab can transmit 28 frequencies and listen in on the best frequency within each Channel(Band) for the three different conductivity levels.

Therefore, and I hope this is clear, the three Frequencies being listened to today may not be the same as being listened to the next day depending on local conditions. The computer is designed to pick the best three and can arrive at that decision in seconds with what could take you half an hour of twiddling to do.

HH
BB

Great post BB. Thanks for the detailed explanation. And thanks for the work you put into the graphis as well. HH Randy

Thanks for that BB. But you know you are gonna get some questions now ;-) and excuse the wording as I am no electronics expert.

Can you relate this to the E-Trac? Can you explain how Noise Cancel functions into this, if at all?

So, let's say the E-Trac is broadcasting in 28 frequencies and it is doing that to select the (is it two) frequencies to receive on? Are these two receiving frequencies (if it is right to call them that) moved much due to the 3 channel "scan"?

Carl from Whites said the following:

[size=medium]It is also an easy way to determine that the so-called 17-frequency BBS is really only 2 frequencies, and no more. They are roughly 3.125kHz and 25kHz. I haven't bothered to probe an FBS design but the identical transmit waveform dictates that it is also a 2-frequency design. The noise channels are minor perturbations of the transmit waveform, and not the selection of wholly different frequencies. That is, the channels might result in 3.15/25.2, 3.175/25.4, 3.2/25.6, etc (I don't recall the exact numbers)... the frequencies don't change much, and maintain an 8:1 ratio. DFX and V3 do the same thing with "frequency offset."

With all these designs the baseband signals from the individual frequency channels are sampled by an ADC and fed to a microprocessor. It is certain that they all process the BB signals in some algorithmic way that combines information from the individual channels to effect GB and to identify targets. It is pretty certain the 3 manufacturers all do it differently, resulting in pros & cons amongst the 3 approaches. But they are all unquestionably multifrequency.[/size]

I do see clearly how the design you mention is superior to a fundamental plus two harmonics. I say that, at least in part, from experience with the V3i. It received/broadcast on 2.5, 7.5 and 22.5 (I believe). Well, doing side by side comparisons in my somewhat iron mineralized soil on actual coins found in the field, the E-Trac hit harder and with a very good VID on 8" and 9" targets. The V3i was jumpy after 6" or so. Now, maybe this jumpiness is also due to energy being over 3 frequencies and not 2 received (like on the E-Trac I believe). And perhaps it's also the E-Tracs way of ground balancing that makes things so good. What are your thoughts here?

Thanks again,
Alberrt

BB, Thanks so much for posting this information. As a old electronic technician, this is what I love to see! Looking forward to see what you will be able to post when you get a CT 3030!

A very big mahalo for doing this!

Great detail. If I'm reading this right (?) then that's what I was recently saying in another thread...That there is NO comparison between the two or three frequencies Fishers or Whites have in a static ability frequency wise on versus the numerous spectrum ranges that BBS and FBS machines can choose from. Based on what I've read in the actual findings of people in the field with those machines found when compared to a Minelab over the exact same undug targets, I knew there had to be more to the situation than just the Minelab simply running on a couple of static frequencies compared to these other machines. That is, unless I'm not understanding your technical explanation in the proper sense. It will take me two or three readings of your post and less beer to have any kind of confidence as to shoring up my "take" on what I have just read, so I could be very well be wrong at the moment. :biggrin: Thanks again for an EXCELLENT post!

This is what the ETrac transmits for Noise Channels 1, 6, and 11.
I'm real curious what the CTX 3030 transmitted signal looks like.

Interesting and may explain TO ME that some days the old computer gets it better than other days, some days my etrac seems to run better than others , no settings changed just seems my threshold is pulsing better (smoother, even, not bunched up etc..) than others now maybe that's my screwed up brain but i don't think so, the more i learn about minelabs the more important the threshold seems to become and this is not based on any electrical facts but my ears and many many hours of testing.

so great post thank you.

Outstanding post BB. Being a computer geek as well as a licensed HAM Radio operator, this makes perfect sense to me. Greatly appreciate the time investment you made in constructing that post!

Can you relate this to the E-Trac? Can you explain how Noise Cancel functions into this, if at all?

Well Noise cancel is a pretty standard function where you sample the surrounding area before beginning to detect. The X-terra line has that function with both a manual and automatic mode that you can play with it, and get an idea of how the automatic works compared to what you would choose for a channel. If you don't have an X-terra or know somebody with one, then reading the manual or watching a video may help explore the function.

So, let's say the E-Trac is broadcasting in 28 frequencies and it is doing that to select the (is it two) frequencies to receive on? Are these two receiving frequencies (if it is right to call them that) moved much due to the 3 channel "scan"?

It's capable of broadcasting up to 28 and will listen on three as I explained. Listening and processing more than that means more microprocessor time/cycles, slower response, more battery power chewed up. There has been a crowd for a while that was all exercised about the number of arrows in magazine ads. You'd think they would be more concerned that their buddy with an E-trac is cleaning their clock, than about a magazine ad. Forum surfing with a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon next to you leads to jousting virtual windmills. :lol:

Carl from Whites said the following:

[size=medium]It is also an easy way to determine that the so-called 17-frequency BBS is really only 2 frequencies, and no more. They are roughly 3.125kHz and 25kHz. I haven't bothered to probe an FBS design but the identical transmit waveform dictates that it is also a 2-frequency design. The noise channels are minor perturbations of the transmit waveform, and not the selection of wholly different frequencies. That is, the channels might result in 3.15/25.2, 3.175/25.4, 3.2/25.6, etc (I don't recall the exact numbers)... the frequencies don't change much, and maintain an 8:1 ratio. DFX and V3 do the same thing with "frequency offset."

With all these designs the baseband signals from the individual frequency channels are sampled by an ADC and fed to a microprocessor. It is certain that they all process the BB signals in some algorithmic way that combines information from the individual channels to effect GB and to identify targets. It is pretty certain the 3 manufacturers all do it differently, resulting in pros & cons amongst the 3 approaches. But they are all unquestionably multifrequency.[/size]

Carl would love to know what's going on in the processing!:lol: Because then White's could build a work-alike while trying to avoid a patent infringement. But the proof is in the pudding, the VX3 was released, did people wholesale abandon the BBS/FBS technology for the VX3? By the way I am not anti-White's, owned a 6000 for years and liked it.

I do see clearly how the design you mention is superior to a fundamental plus two harmonics. I say that, at least in part, from experience with the V3i. It received/broadcast on 2.5, 7.5 and 22.5 (I believe). Well, doing side by side comparisons in my somewhat iron mineralized soil on actual coins found in the field, the E-Trac hit harder and with a very good VID on 8" and 9" targets. The V3i was jumpy after 6" or so. Now, maybe this jumpiness is also due to energy being over 3 frequencies and not 2 received (like on the E-Trac I believe). And perhaps it's also the E-Tracs way of ground balancing that makes things so good. What are your thoughts here?

Remember it's receive on three not two. But also don't lose sight that the signal is being processed in the Time Domain like a Pulse Induction not the Frequency Domain. And now FBS2 which I suspect includes the incorporated ground balance plus who knows what else. Keep in mind Minelab has a couple of PhD level physicists doing Hard Science Research and detector design, so that there is a lot of intellectual firepower in this arena. They publish white papers which can give some glimpse into the future of the technology that they are working on, but probably won't be seen in products for 5 to 7 years out. I'm not aware of any U.S. manufacturer's that have that level of staffing which can result in them falling further and further behind in the technological arms race.

HH
BB

Keep in mind Minelab has a couple of PhD level physicists doing Hard Science Research and detector design, so that there is a lot of intellectual firepower in this arena. They publish white papers which can give some glimpse into the future of the technology that they are working on, but probably won't be seen in products for 5 to 7 years out. I'm not aware of any U.S. manufacturer's that have that level of staffing which can result in them falling further and further behind in the technological arms race.

HH
BB[/quote]
GO AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ausflag::poke::beers:
Sorry Bill. I couldn't resist that one.:devil:
Mick Evans.:ausflag:

I did the same tests about 3 years ago with my dad who had a first class FCC license back in the day.So what you are confirming is that what Andy been telling us in his books is true.It is very important to ground cancel to shift the frequencies and no more than 3 frequencies are being used when we are actively/swinging the detector.Where you able to confirm that there are 11 sets of Channels.Very good work thanks for sharing.

All I can say is, "Bill Engvall would be proud!".

Great read!

All I know is that when you fire up an E-trac or a CTX it feels like you are sensing a whole lot more.
Switch on a VLF and it is tame.

to Prep1957: You say"It is very important to ground cancel "... do you mean ground balance or noise cancel???
i have never ground balanced the 3030 but only do noise cancel... should i do ground balcance every time i start out detecting???
thanks to all for all the great info...

Sorry I mean noise cancel,but I always did wonder about ground canceling/balancing.I never really liked anything that was put in auto it is an opinion of another person,But they do have awful smart persons at Minelab.