Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

acting up, or is it normal?

~ACE~

Hey folks. I was out swinging the coil in a field today, and I noticed one heck of a lot of 01:32 signals. I noticed it in the fall too. Mostly only in manual sensitivity but it is also doing it in auto +3. Any ideas?

Yup, I agree. It's just that the signals are every couple of feet. Wasn't like that in the fall when I pounded that spot. I guess I got a lot of digging to do lol. I'm still learning. Haven't had the etrac a year yet

i would have dug one up. could have been something like a bucket of bolts, or a bucket of chain links, or "something" that fell off a tractor, got buried, and then got spread all around the area. at least dig one up and then youll know. maybe a whole bunch of small nails, like a potato sack of small nails, or something like that, where there was maybe 200 items that are all the same that fell off the trailer and that got spread all around over time.

most likely junk but you never know. it could be shreds of metal, it could be anything. if theyre all the same, i would dig one up, theres a story to tell even if it is junk.

if its a good solid repeatable signal then your etrac is not acting up. its telling you something is really down there.

Thank you Moonshine. I know it seems like I was just being lazy, but the ground is still frozen past the 4" mark. Impossible to dig an 8" target. It was the same way in the fall. Frozen at the 6" mark. You're right, I just have to wait for the ground to thaw and dig em up!

not lazy, a solid 1-32 is most likely junk anyways. if you ever do go back there and dig one up, follow up, im curious now.

I will most definitely let you know. Probably by next week when the temps get warmer. I'll send you a PM.

could just be the frozen ground making it wonky

I found a thawed patch of field, and low and behold, I got another 01:32-01:33 signal at 8". I dug an extra large, but neat, plug. Dug down over a foot, stuck the pinpointer in...nothing. Checked the plug....nothing. Ran the detector over the hole and the plug...nothing. Solid signal one way, and a little choppy the other way, but repeatable before I dug. Strange!

a tiny peice of copper scrap? tiny things or really small bits of wire or even shotgun pellets drive me nuts like that. something super small, smaller than a dime, will do that.

Could very well be shotgun pellets! Found a stupid amount of casings in this field too. I dug a couple 1700's half pennies, Victorian brooch and an 1835 un Sou from this field. I can deal with the shotgun pellets I guess. That's gotta be what it is. Thank you! It wouldn't have crossed my mind, actually lol

I dig all 1-30 to a sometimes hitting 50 IDs ONLY if the depth indicator shows deeper than around 8 to 9 inches.

Like Goes4ever, with those IDs, i dug up a few Indians, bunch of silver coins, wheats, and a cool early 1900s auto key fob all 10 to 14 inches deep.
That old keyfob was a stubborn find at around 14 inches. Dug down to a foot, was ready to abandon and re-fill the hole thinking it was an offside nail. Decided to dig a couple inches deeper, stuck the pinpointer in the hole and it finally came alive. I was using the Tornado coil at the time.

My rule of thumb (subject to change) is a shallow 1-30+ is usually junk.
A deep iffy 1-30+ could mean the detector is at its threshold of detection yet trying to say something is down there.
Said it before and i'll say it again here, that depth indicator is just as important as the tones and IDs.

When i first got my eTRAC i never of dug those goofy IDs and i never got any deep silver.
You got to dig em to learn.

EDIT:
Keep in mind, not all of those deep 1-30+ IDs are going to be keepers. In my case a lot maybe most turned out to be deep corroded nails.
View each piece of junk dug up as an ongoing learning lesson.
Got to dig em up though....no pain no gain.

Thank you for the advice. I'm still a newbie with the etrac and have a lot to learn. Thankfully I have you guys to fall back on when I hit a roadblock. Much appreciated! Looks like I have a ton of holes to Re-open, and dig them out even deeper.