Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice on cleaning 1797 large cent with nice details

I found this large cent on the same yard I got 6 other LC's and my GW button and other buttons and buckles. I was using the 6 inch ctx coil in the nail-loaded side yard. Got a repeatable but iffy signal so I was surprised to find this at 5 inches down. Its the second best looking one from this place. I used running water and light toothpicking to get the date and variety (1797 back, with stems) but I don't want to ruin the face details by getting the dirt off. How would you guys go about cleaning further, if at all? I don't see much corrosion, and the patina is pretty uniform. Should I risk soaking in distilled water for a day and then using Q-tips? I ruined the other cents with too much cleaning with a soft toothbrush. Don' wanna do it to this beauty. Thanks for any advice.

I have no advice on cleaning except placing in olive oil

But I have to say How Wonderful Your Finds Are :clapping:

Major Congrats

I'll agree, olive oil. Just remember be patient. It may take weeks or months of soaking.

Congrats on your great finds! I agree with the olive oil soak. Some say to use non virgin but I have no experience with it. Looks like the surface crud can be removed with time. Every few days, take a toothpick and carefully pick at the crud. Good luck and post pics when it's ready!
Chuck

I wouldn't do anything other then what you already did. I wouldn't use any oil, it changes the color of the coin, I wouldn't take the chance. Great finds.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did try regular olive oil on some 1826 and 1851 cents I found and got dates and details I would not have gotten otherwise. But I do know about the color change and I want to avoid that. Those coins did not have the green patina this one does.

I put a 2 cent piece into olive oil (it was really dark to begin with on the obverse with green disease on the date side). Slow but sure the green is coming off. To my surprise the dark coating is starting to dissolve revealing a really nice brown. It may take a year for the process to be complete.

You can try soaking in distilled water. It may loosen up some dirt without altering the coin. There is a really good article about cleaning Roman coins. Perhaps you might go through the steps outlined there.
http://www.crustyromans.com/cleaning/

In no way would a concern for color change be an issue for a coin in this encrusted shape. (Olive oil is a go to for "safe" in conservation of this type.) (Conditions change in a case by case basis so a good soak and pick with a peice of bone is where I'd start....then shoot us some pics. I am in this industry, see so many situations concerning conservation and the biggest issue on a road to damage is mixing different chems. (Stay "oily" for the first round.)