Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice on using a MXT Pro vs. Spectra V3 for prospecting (Gold)

TC-NM

I would like to get opinions/experiences on these two machines for gold prospecting. I know that you can set the V3 by customizing the detector to 22.5 kHz. which will be sensitive to gold, right? How does the MXT Pro rate at 14 kHz?

Appreciate the feedback, Thanks

TC-NM

the excellent, and proven, MXT Pro.

Why, if the higher frequencies are supposed to be so great, do the Spectra Prospecting programs fire-up in all tree frequencies?

Why, when you check a couple of small gold nuggets with the stock setting, then select only the 22.5 kHz frequency, you don't really note any surprising improvement?

Why, when I have compared the Spectra's with an MXT Pro, using the same search coils, does the MXT Pro match or better the Spectra's performance?

Why is the MXT Pro my personal #1 pick as an "all purpose" detector?

Because it has a track record, dating from the original MXT, of being able to perform in a wide variety of hunting conditions, and has proven to be an excellent nugget hunting detector.

Besides, it has KNOBS and that makes for simple, quick adjustments as needed, and the battery life will be 2-4 times that of a Spectra series model.

Naturally, these are only my opinions so others might question them, but ...... compare these models side-by-side for quick-into-action performance and you'll see the winner, easily.

Monte

You might want to ask your question on the Prospectors forum for more information but in general, both the V3i in prospecting mode, which is single frequency 22.5 BTW, and the MXT make very good nugget hunters. BUT the MXT has the edge in small nugget detection especially with the smaller coils. Keep in mind the MXT is much cheaper than a V3i and much of the circuitry of the MXT is almost identical to the GMT gold detector. Those who nugget hunt, most prefer a dedicated nugget hunter if you are hunting flakes and anything smaller than a picker, otherwise the MXT with the 6X9 or 4X6 makes a great nugget hunter.

If you already own a V3i, it will treat you right in the gold fields and dirt alike and if you have the older V3, get the upgrade to the V3i.

I think some posts have been made on the same subject on the prospecting forum if you want to look back in the posts or do a search.

Yes, the V3i manual states the Prospecting program is set at 22.5 kHz. I didn't proof-read my post before sending it off to add that of the last three people with a V3i who I worked with to test nugget samples and compare with my MXT Pro or a new-stock MXT Pro, ALL of them had their Prospecting program on 3-Frequency when I checked to see the performance e and then switch to 22.5 kHz.

I asked if thy had done that but they said "I don't think so." I guess that might also be an example of how those models can be more easily confusing for many who are trying to learn them and make any crucial adjustments. Accidental turn-on, turn-off or miss-adjustments an occur.

However, even with that correction, the MXT's always matched or bettered the Spectra's performance. Oh, they worked and could signal on a small nugget sample, but, if give the option, I would most certainly go with the MXT Pro .... if I had that option.

Monte

Here are some opinions from one of the best, Steve Herschbach, Moderator of the prospecting forum, on gold detectors in general and he covers the V3i and MXT. http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors.htm

You can subsitute MXT Pro where MXT is mentioned.

Thanks Larry (IL) and Monte for your insight on this.

TC-NM