Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

After 50 years a great find!

REVIER

When I was a kid about 8 years old I started collecting coins.
This was 1963, and I was given a 1938-1961 nickel book and and 2 penny books...1909-1940 and 1941-1965 and tried to fill them.

I looked for coins in all the change I got and my grandparents, who never had much money, every year they would go to the bank and get a lot of penny rolls and then unwrap them and throw them all in an old cigar box, fill it 1/2 the way up and give that to me as a birthday present.
It was heavy and filled with coins to go through and I filled many spaces in my books because of this and I loved them for it.
Thinking about it, I was actually doing coin roll hunting way before anyone ever coined the term and also way before many of you were ever born.

I managed to fill up about 1/2 my nickel book, all of my late date penny book except for 2 spots and and a little over 1/3 of the early date Lincoln penny book which I think was pretty good considering the way I was doing it.

Before long I lost interest and put these books away.
Sometimes you just carry a few certain things through life and these books actually stayed with me throughout the years and all the moves and I still have them.

After I got into metal detecting I always had hope that one day I might find a coin in the ground that would fill a space in one of my books.
I have found some old nickels, and some wheat pennies and even though some of those were actually better condition than the ones already in my collection they were still all doubles and so I continued to look...and wait.

3 days ago I was hunting at a park and there are still 2 old houses on the site that are due to be knocked down sometime in the future.
In the back of one there is still one old rusted clothesline pole and I hunted behind this looking for old coins.
Never found any but this park has been hunted by others.
That day I tried hunting on the other side of that pole where there is a slight slope and I did not believe this was the direction the other end of the lines were strung, but evidently they were because I found a 1935 wheatie buried there.

Cut to this morning, and I had a thought to look in my penny book on the off chance that this one would fill a space but I had no luck so far so I wasn't holding out hope.
Guess what?
There on page 3 was a space that said 1935 and no penny filled that hole!

Joy!

This is not a huge find, it is just an old penny and not even in all that great shape, either, but I can't tell you how strangely satisfied and happy this find makes me.
All the learning, all the digging, all the trash and everything I have gone through up to this point for over 3.5 years has led to this...and it was all worth it and then some.

Ok, all my gold and silver and other great finds count, but sometimes in life it is the little victories that count more than the big kind...the personal ones that are only important to you.
This is one of those.

This is such a great hobby that can make me feel so happy over such a little thing after such a long time.
Life is good!

Thats a very cool story. What happened to the days when a cigar box full of pennies would be considered an awesome Christmas present. I have been detecting for over 40 years and I still remember the the old Heathkit metal detector dad gave me when I was about 8 years old. That was the best gift I have ever gotten. 40 years later, I consider myself "too stupid to quit". Metal detecting is rewarding in so many different ways.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH Yes MR. R. Treasure truly does come in many different forms.-----HH

Congratulations! :clapping: What a great post! now, go get your gold count for the year finished and we'll call it a day!
Mud

I was reading your post and saying to myself "WOW!, my folks did the same thing for me"
and I realized just how much I loved them for doing that. My brother managed to "high-
grade" my collections and sell them, so I had to start over. But that journey has been
well worth the time and effort of starting over. Thanks for the great trip down memory
lane REVIER..........

n/t

That is a great story. I started the same thing in the 1940s book. I started it back in the late 60s when I got into detecting. My father got the book for me. I finely did fill it up , but it must have taken me 30 years to do it... KEN

Congrats! Nice story!

Congrats on the find !

I'm trying to put as many of the newer coins that I find in folders - the coins that I've found a lot of - Indians, Wheat's, Merc's ,Jeff. Nickels, clad Dimes, Wash. & State Quarter's, etc.
I've managed to put (700 +) dug coins in approx. (15) different Harris folders over the last four years - it's great way to learn more about coins and besides ... it's fun !

One of my favorite finds was a Utah state quarter. For a couple years that was the last one I needed to put together the set of all 50 state quarters found with my metal detector. That coin brought me as much satisfaction as any silver coin or gold ring I had ever dug !