Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Aftermarket coils for Equinox?

I think there will be for this detector as minelab have worked out people like choices and this will be like the FBS1 detectors in that regard, but time will tell..

usual suspects NEL, Detech, Coiltek, Mars..

AJ

6" 11" and 15" per minelab site

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Does anyone know if there are going to be aftermarket coils for the Equinox? And if so, by whom?

I'm certain they will come, first by coiltek who is the
One aftermarket manufacturer of coils that
Is sanctioned by minelab so minelab gives
Coiltek "access" to proprietary chip information.
In time, NEL and CORS will figure out how to make
Compatible coils without minelab spproval

It all depends on whether or not these coils are chipped like the CTX coils are. If so (and thats my suspicion) there will only be factory and Coiltek coils offered.

why do they need minelabs approval ? I don't need my car manufactures approval to put after market products on it and they don't need approval to make them, metal detecting has its head firmly up its own arse !! like seriously who cares what minelab thinks I sure don't, and they don't care what I think so we have a mutual agreement that I can do what ever the hell I so choose I don't need to ring minelab and ask please sir can I :punch:

if its there I can use it and the reason I went back to etrac from ctx as I can buy coils NOT made by minelab ...

so if this detector doesn't have after market coils I 100% wont buy one for that reason..

just visit the xterra forum and learn how to tow the party line :lmfao:

AJ

Speaking of Xterra, I had a 705, great detector. Now I'm not saying I ever used an unapproved after market coil on it. I'll be picking up a Nox after the first of the year. Let the first run cycle through, then get a later production one.

MattBullSummerville said:
Speaking of Xterra, I had a 705, great detector. Now I'm not saying I ever used an unapproved after market coil on it. I'll be picking up a Nox after the first of the year. Let the first run cycle through, then get a later production one.

sounds like a plan..

705 with a 12x13 NEL coil nice and deep weapon and not to bad in iron as well..

if the IQ is using the 705 as a base then the IQ will be a nice detector.

AJ

So why is the chip there ? IIRC the xterras have it. Only reason I can come up with is its a pre amp.
But at the low freqs 4 or 5 feet of good cable should have almost immeasurable loss. Its not like
you are bringing 600mhz down 100 feet of RG59 ! That is loss like you read about.........
I doubt EQ has it or ML would find a way to promote it. Maybe just a way to "control" after market coils ??
If it does something & if its patented that gives control.
Any ideas ?

Tom
LFOD !

TomNH said:
So why is the chip there ? .......
I doubt EQ has it or ML would find a way to promote it. Maybe just a way to "control" after market coils ??
If it does something & if its patented that gives control.
Any ideas ?

Tom
LFOD !

I may be ultimately a way to control aftermarket coils, but MLs reason is for signal purity. Supposedly there is a chip in the controller that converts the signal from analog to digital, then the coil chip converts it back into analog for transmission, then converts the return signal back to digital to send back to the controller.

At least thats my understanding of what the chip is for.

Tony N (Michigan) said:

If I remember correctly.... Coiltek is not owned by ML but has a long relationship with them. I believe CT originally produced all the coils for ML and have been making aftermarket coils since ML began making their own in-house. CT is the only company that ML has sold CTX coil chips to, which is why they are the only one to produce aftermarket coils for that.

The big ML Equinox coil is going to be a 15x12" coil. Doesnt depth come from the width of the coil? and the length just gives a wider footprint? If so...why offer one that is only 1" wider than stock?

I really want an elliptical coil for the Nox.. Something around 10x6..
My fear is they will have Coiltek make it. Their elliptical coils are not very impressive in my opinion..
Not the ones for the CTX and E-Trac anyway..
The Equinox deserves a thin, light and tight elliptical..

Next on my wish list is a NEL 13x12 Tornado! Love that coil..

Bryan

At this rate, the aftermarket coils might be out before Minelabs accessory coils. Unfortunately, Coiltek will most likely manufacture them and they will be both expensive and underperforming.