Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Aggrivated with V3i

taco77

Just upgraded from a VX3 to V3i and cannot match performance of the old VX3. I mainly beach hunt and cannot get any depth or stability. Having issues GB'ing anywhere near wet sand. Tried stock beach, fox's beach and a custom program. Vx3 did fine on same beach with same sef 10x12 coil. Any suggestions?

The VX3 and the V3i is the same detector and if you are using the same coil you either have a bad V3i or your settings are not set the same as your VX3, I suspect it is the settings. Were you using Salt beach program? Salt Beach for the VX3 is in Correlate mode, did you check the V3i to see if it is in Correlate? There are a lot more adjustments you can make on the V3i and a lot more to learn.

Yes I was in correlate. Went to a different beach this morning and did a lot better. May have been some emi or something. Still not as deep as I'm used to but eventually I'll get it tuned right. Thanks

It is possible that it needs a master reset, which Whites gives over the phone. I send a V3i in once before warranty expired for a good checkup...actually I wasn't happy with it right then anyway. It came back and seemed solid for the first 20-30 minutes in my yard when playing with it, then it got all wonky and unstable. This was within the first 20-30 mins remember, so I called up Whites and got Mary to walk me through the MR procedure. My point is, even a newly revamped and certified machine can get the spooks in it for some reason. My V3i did settle down after the MR.

I actually wasn't aware that the VX3 could be upgraded to a V3i until your post. martin

I bought from a dealer and its still under warranty. I tried White's Friday to do a reset but they had just closed by the time I called. I may try again Monday to do a reset. Thanks

Chris

All the reset does is set the detector back to original settings. Any program can be set back to factory without the reset. The virtues of the reset was started by a long gone moderator, it is not a cure all by any means. It is not fixing anything, it is a RESET.

I may disagree with that. I had a refurb Vx3 and had some issues. Called White's and Mary talked me through the reset procedure. It took care of the issue I had(screen issue). She didn't explain the reasoning behind it but said she does it a lot.

That's fine, but that is all it does. Straight from the White engineers mouth.

"The HARD RESET doesn't do squat unless by some strange set of circumstances the processors don't get turned off (the regulator is supposed to make that happen though). If they get into some weird state, then yanking the battery out for a while will let all the capacitors discharge and let the processors and memory power down. I think when most people try the hard reset they think it works better, and they get more confident in their machine. Then it goes deeper, (psychosomatic). It doesn't hurt to do it."

Instead of finding the wrong setting the reset "indirectly" fixes the problem. WDIK ?

I have been using the V3i on the beaches here in Florida this week,not having emi just the falsing. The D2 falses like crazy and I have to crank way back on the power to settle it down. I put the 10x12 SEF on and it runs a lot smoother for me. I can up the RX and run it a good bit hotter. I know it seems that you have to find a good spot to ground balance. If I'm hunting wet sand I try to balance in the wet sand. Same for hunting the dry sand. Don't know it that is the right thing to do.??? The SEF falses some when water is running over it. The D2 seems to false in the wet sand and water. But I know a lot of it is me and knowing how to hunt the beach. My next investment will be a concentric coil for these beach hunts.
Take all or this with a grain of salt though. I'm a beach rookie and fairly new V3i user.
HH

You seem to be getting about the same results I am. I also am thinking about getting a concentric. I guess about the best option is the Super 12??

The concentric coils are by far the best choices for all salt beaches. That is what all the beach hunters use with the Spectras and the DFX. I have a 12" which I only use at the beach.

I don't think White's will upgrade a VX3 to a V3i. The V3 can be upgraded though.

taco77 said:
Just upgraded from a VX3 to V3i and cannot match performance of the old VX3. I mainly beach hunt and cannot get any depth or stability. Having issues GB'ing anywhere near wet sand. Tried stock beach, fox's beach and a custom program. Vx3 did fine on same beach with same sef 10x12 coil. Any suggestions?

Did you mean you switched to a V3i, i was under the impression Whites wouldn't upgrade a VX3?

There is no VX3 to V3i upgrade. he must have had a VX3 and then bought a V3i.

I use the 12" for the beach and it hardly ever falses. However, per the White's guys, you will miss small gold with it. I haven't tested this to be true, but I know that the DFX is not very good at detecting gold, in the Beach mode anyway.

Missing small gold at the beach has nothing to do with being a Whites. All VLF detectors when in salt mode discriminate the VDI for salt which also happens to be where small gold is found.

In dry sand don't use salt mode and you will see the small gold. By the way the Minelab are always in salt mode at the beach or not. Hmm