Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Air Test Comparisons -- 6" coil vs. 11" coil on U.S. coins...

sgoss66

Hello all!

Based on requests from several folks who are curious, I went ahead and did some air testing with my new Minelab 6” coil, attached to my Equinox 800. I wanted to give folks some idea of the relative capabilities of this coil as compared to the 11” coil.

While all the normal caveats of air testing apply – such as air-test results in no way mirror in-ground results, etc. etc. etc., I do think there is at least a little bit of value when doing side-by-side air testing of two different coils for comparison purposes. Anyway, how much value exists in such a test is up to each individual to decide; I simply wanted to provide the data. I also did a Youtube video, which I will post a link to as soon as it is done uploading. In the video, I did NOT record the testing of all the coins; I ran only the silver Roosevelt dime in the video to show you, audibly, what quality of signal I listened for in order to call it a “hit.” In other words, how repeatable of a signal I listened for before I assigned a depth value to that particular coin, with that particular coil. The rest of the video is just some discussion of a few points regarding the coil, and the testing.

Anyway, here is the data…

Minelab Equinox 800
11” and 6” coils, air-test comparison, done indoors
Park 1 Mode
Sensitivity 18
Noise Cancel Channel 7
All-metal mode (horseshoe button engaged)
Ground Balance 0
Recovery Speed 4 (on the 800, equivalent to 2 on the 600)
Iron Bias 2 (on the 800, equivalent to 1 on the 600)

Here are the results:

[attachment 360947 11vs6.jpg]

After this “apples to apples” comparison, where I tested both coils using identical settings, I then re-tested a couple of coins (specifically the silver dime and the silver quarter) on the 6” coil, but this time bumping sensitivity to 22. I found that I was able to run sensitivity about 3 points higher, as the 6” coil is (as expected) less affected by EMI. And since “18” is a rather conservative sensitivity for a 6” coil, but that is as high as I could go with the 11” in my indoor testing, and since I wanted to keep it “apples to apples,” I wanted to see how much depth gain I would get on the 6” coil if I bumped sensitivity up some.

Here are those results:

[attachment 360948 6-18vs6-22.jpg]

In summary, you can see that the 6” coil (at 18 sensitivity) loses roughly 1 ¾” depth on each coin, in an air test, as compared to the 11” coil. You can also see that by bumping the sensitivity on the 6” coil up from 18 to 22, you “gain back” most of the loss of air-test depth, getting to within ½” to ¾” of depths achieved by the 11” coil, set at 18 sensitivity. SO…while you DO lose depth with the 6” coil, as expected, you may – in a real-world scenario – be able to gain most of that depth back, due to being able to run it at a higher sensitivity setting. Overall, I am thus far impressed with the coil, and can’t wait to use it “in the field,” where I can begin to get a feel for its REAL value – its ability to separate, in trashy sites.

Steve

Im surprised the 11" didnt get a little better depth...... the 6" now was pretty impressive. Most good coils depending on their conditions can get the same depth as their length when put to the soil. MLs tend to do this well. But you know ....... its possible on the 11" if its tuned with a bit more sensitivity toward the gold it could loose a little on the high end for coins. Good work Steve. Now we need a little gold chart. Im told its ok on small gold for beach hunting but may not be worth the effort because of coverage.

Thanks, Des!

Dew, yes, the numbers on the 11" coil are a bit low -- but remember, I was only running 18 sensitivity. If you like, I can re-run the 11" coil, but I can do it outside in a lower EMI area, so that I can bump sensitivity up closer to the max. I know sensitivity up in the low 20s will increase those numbers on the 11"..

Steve

Thank you a bunch! That is the kind of thing I wanted to see and totally not what I expected to see out of a 6 inch coil. I will have to get one for sure now. I was worried it would be similar to performance of the 6 inch CTX coil which to me, was not impressive at all.

Now I REALLY am wanting to see what the Nox is gonna do with that bigger coil.

Thanks for your time and effort to put this together. Just confirms what I hoped for. My 6” coil will be here next week and I have list of spots to try it out.

Daniel --

You are quite welcome. I know you were one of the ones looking for that info, and part of why I wanted to provide it. (And I agree, it will be interesting to see how the 12"x15" compares to the 11", as well -- if it ever actually gets produced, that is!)

Piedmontartifacts --

You are welcome! I'll wait to hear how it works for you!

Steve

Thanks Steve for taking the time those results are almost the same as the ctx 6 but i think that little coil is going to be great in bad ground because of how the nox handles minerals . sube

Thanks for the info Steve, it takes a lot of time to assimilate all that data I appreciate your work.
My first thought on the 6" coil are it is a very intense hunt in super high iron infested sites. By iron infested I mean over 20 hits per sweep. Even at that level I still am recovering targets its just a slower hunt speed separating out the targets. The depth on coins is quite impressive over square in fact {deeper than the width}. I have a live dig of the 6" coil hitting an Indian head in the 7 to 8 inch range and it did it easily.
Laplander

You are quite welcome, gentlemen!

bklein, I am about to go on vacation, so I can't do any testing right now, but I will try to do it when I get back. Are you saying you'd like to see the 11" coil, maxed out sensitivity, and then what depths I could get on those same coins in an air test?

laplander said:
Thanks for the info Steve, it takes a lot of time to assimilate all that data I appreciate your work.
My first thought on the 6" coil are it is a very intense hunt in super high iron infested sites. By iron infested I mean over 20 hits per sweep. Even at that level I still am recovering targets its just a slower hunt speed separating out the targets. The depth on coins is quite impressive over square in fact {deeper than the width}. I have a live dig of the 6" coil hitting an Indian head in the 7 to 8 inch range and it did it easily.
Laplander

Laplander -- I would love to see that video, of the 7-8" Indian Head; that's my only concern with the coil -- will it be deep enough "in the field," as obviously an air test does not tell you anything about how it will function on buried coins, in different types of soil. I expect that it will be very good at what it is SUPPOSED to be used for -- separation, and you seem to state as much, in your comments. But for me, for a small coil to be something I would use in any more than the most "specialized" applications, it would need to get good depth, as well. To me, 8" on a penny- or dime-sized target is excellent depth for a 6" coil, and if it can do that, then that's perfect, for me.

Steve

Yes, its great that you gave all your settings! I want to duplicate them and see what I get.
If you now go to a low EMI area and increase Sensitivity to just under where it gets blipityblip I'd like to know what your numbers are on common coins (nickel, quarter, dime) so I can compare data.
A Recovery setting of 3 or 4 is fine because I think higher you'll lose a couple inches in depth.
I have been running mine much hotter than most people do and maybe that's my problem with it.
It looks like if I am willing to lose a couple depth inches it will be a much more pleasant to use detector.
But I want to compare machines first to be sure mines not different.

Barry

Gotcha. I will try to do that for you; I get back from vacation Sept. 11, and will try to do it shortly thereafter. If you don't hear from me, PM me and remind me. I totally get what you are saying about wanting to compare apples to apples, to be sure your machine isn't flawed.

Definitely, if you run it too hot, to where it is chattery, you can get to a point of diminishing returns; it will be hard to hear the subtle hints of a coin signal, with all the background noise going on. You want to try to maximize your signal-to-noise ratio, which means just what you said -- run up sensitivity until you hear EMI chatter, then noise cancel, and then start bumping down sensitivity one digit at a time, until you just barely "tame" the EMI -- and that's the level that it's best to hunt at. Yes, you will lose a bit of "raw" depth ability if you have to lower it too much, but on the other hand, any "depth" you would gain, in terms of a little chirp on a deep coin, is USELESS if that "chirp" is masked by a whole BUNCH of chirps happening, due to EMI...see what I mean?

Steve

To add......... not only your sensitivity, but you recovery speed will affect that mineral noise as will your sweep speed.....only a couple of adjustment affect the target the rest affect the phones more.