Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Air Travel (FAA regulations) on Batteries and cells

WaterWalker

Air Travel (FAA regulations) as of October 2016:
What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in carry-on baggage (in the aircraft cabin)?
Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage this includes external battery packs. “Checked baggage” includes bags checked at the gate or planeside.

Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage include:

Dry cell alkaline batteries: typical AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button-sized cells, etc.

Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
For rechargeable lithium ion batteries; see next paragraph.

Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.
With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment.

Aircraft are at partial pressure 8.7 PSI. Lith Polymer at altitude sometimes leak. When they do they get very hot and can go to fame in very short order. Lith Ion are to be kept on the person at all times during flight. If you get a Lith Poly on board carried luggage same for it. If it gets got have the crew drop it into a metal cannister. Both can heat up but the Poly ones are the most dangerous.

What does "partial pressure" mean.? Not familiar with that term but there are a lot of things I'm not familiar with. thanks

Partial pressure refers to that fact that inside of a jet, the "atmospheric pressure" (through pressurization of the cabin) is not raised up to the same level as that of normal atmospheric pressure we experience at ground level. For instance, if a regular, typical atmospheric pressure near sea level is, say, 1000 mb, a jet's cabin is only pressurized to somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of that (not sure of the exact number) -- say 750 mb. In other words, the equivalent of being several thousand (6000 to 8000) feet above sea level.

Steve

woody said:
What does "partial pressure" mean.? Not familiar with that term but there are a lot of things I'm not familiar with. thanks

It means that when the aircraft ascends, they do not pressurize it all the way like it was sitting on the ground (14psi), but only PARTIALLY PRESSURE it. If they put no pressure into it , everybody would pass out from not enough oxygen pressure. Full pressure would simply add more stress to the hull.

WaterWalker said:
Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.
With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment.

How does this equate to metal detectors? As an example, the Xp Deus?

I am sure the Deus batteries (cells) are smaller than the Excaliburs. If I am not wrong in my thinking back when I was playing around the XP there are 3 LiPo cells in the detector one in the coil, one in the remote and one in the headphones. No way they should add up to more than the 100Wh max.

For a wild comparison, the RNB EX-3000 Excalibur replacement is only 37.5Wh rated. AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries would fall in the under 100Wh rating.

If you have some of the spec on the cells / battery you can calculate the Wh rating.

The difference between watt-hours (Wh) and amp-hours (Ah) is:

watt-hours = amp-hours x volts the energy capacity of a cell/battery

for example my laptop's battery is rated: 10.8 volts, 5200mAh (5200mAh = 5.2Ah)

5.2 X 10.8 = 56.16Wh

A battery is made up of two or more cells. AAA, AA, C, D are cells, the 9Vdc is a rectangular battery made of 6 cells at 1.5Vdc each.

[size=large]Most cargo planes have pressured holds, upper and lower decks and at least the upper one is heated. If they didn't, liquids could not be moved. Right now, I think it is against Federal Law to have lithium-ion batteries as cargo in the hold of a passenger plane. I don't know about UPS, FED-EX cargo-only flights. The last shipment of detectors that I got from Bulgaria had a "conformity sticker" on it about the batteries inside. I think it was just to
let them know that there were alkaline batteries in the boxes. I am sure that others would have possibly some more stringent restraints since Lithium Ion batteries can burn up to a 1000 degrees and ignite other batteries near by. Just my thoughts, I could be totally wrong since info changes all the time. Richard
[/size]

[size=large]Afterthought: there must be some way to transport these batteries by air, safely and lawfully ?.. Anyone, please chime in ?[/size]

Here is the FAA FAQ link for battery questions/answers:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf