Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AKA Metal Detector,Anyone Using One

After-1- said:
Using the Sorex or Berkut,do you think that there is less junk dug up?

All depends upon what your searching for and how much you discriminate-if using disc mode.
I hope to find gold, small gold can fall into a number of ranges. So will tend to find smaller gold rings
that others have missed. Some Canadian clad coins when on edge, small gold chains and pendants that fall into the iron range, so there is a range of numbers.
If you out coin hunting only, then your going to bypass a lot of ID numbers.

In general you'll dig as much trash as you normally would with any other detector. How much of the trash you dig is up to you.

These are general numbers I would dig if just learning the Berkut and can change with different frequency search coils

To get most good items
Dig
24 to 44
58 to 62
63 to 89
+28
+57
+63
+75
bounce to -21
bounce to teens
bounce to -21
bounce to -25
================================
In general these are rough ID numbers for specific targets

Berkut ID's
Gold chain, pendants -11 to -22
Small Gold Rings 24 28 31 35 37 41 44
Large Gold Rings 58 to 62

Foil 21 to 27, 39 to 42

PullTabs:
Snap offs 53 to 54
Beaver tail 61 to 62

Bottle Caps 42 to 56, 29 to – num, -32

Silver:
Rings 67 to 69, 80 to 84
Chain 39

Silver Coins:
Fishscale(1/2 dime) 69 to 75
Dime 79 to 81
Quarter 87 to 89
Half -87

Canadian Clad:
Copper and zinc Penny 75 to 76
Large cent 74 to 78
Large Token 56
Nickel +63 bounce -21
Dime +28 bounce -21
Quarter +28 bounce -21
Loon $1 coin67 to 70, 75, +57 bounce to – teens
Toon $2 Coin 67 to 79, +75 bounce to -25

US Clad:
75 to 87
Nickel 42
Steel penny -56

Yah I would say SVen is right on when detecting in modern trash. Really most mid and upper end detectors are about as good as it gets in IDing in modern trash. The graph will help a lot with odd ball shapes of aluminum as these will give a solid VDI that won't waver but the graph is all over the place. But this has to shallower say under 5-6 inches and NOT can slaw.

Now if you are a relic hunter then the Hodograph really shines in GREATLY reducing digging rusty tin or rusty iron objects. The ONE exception is the always pesky DEEP rusty forged nails. These are a bee-atch for all detectors especially deep and if they are the short stubby kind of if they are the normal ones bent like a J. However on almost everything else even deep it is easy to know it is iron...and I am referring to when deep iron is falsing high. Deep targets both ferrous and non ferrous on most high end detectors will tend to have VDI jump to them and will break over into the iron range as the depth approaches the last say 20% of the detectors ability. This is where if you have say a deep oxe shoe ( classic great sounding iron target)....where the audio will stay mostly non ferrous as will the VDI...BUT the hodograph will be all over the screen even at depth. Same will apply to other rusty iron.

But in modern trash I would say for the most part the trash dig ratio for a particular user would be close to what you would dig with any other detector. I mean if you are say a mainly after gold then you just can't reduce the amount of pulltabs you dig with any detector IMHO. But with the Berkut you can certainly make digging them more fun...:)

Just depends on what type of trash targets you deal with. Which is why I hate detecting in modern trash.....ughhola. I stay colonial....:)

Sven-azsh07-----Great replies-----I would like to pickup a AKA, and leaning more towards the Sorex Pro with a 14khz coil-------after1-------

After-1, I would recommend getting the sorex with both the 10.5" and 6"x10" coils. When my sorex showed-up, I immediately notice that the 12.5"x9.5" coil seemed too large for the detector. I much prefer the 6"x10" over the alternative. However,I'm very close to buying the 10.5". I'll probably get it in 7 Khz, since the 3 Khz is no longer available.

I did inquire about the 6x10 14khz about a week ago, I was told out of stock, might be a couple weeks. just waiting.------------after1-----------

The 10.5 coil is a good general use coil..like I said a little heavy but built like a Russian tank. The larger stock coil is a little nose heavy but it is good for relic hunting. Like was said I also used the 6x10 more than the 10.5 or the big stock coil.

I did a ton of testing on the three coils with the bigger ones at 7 khz and the 6x10 at 14 khz. There is a definately a difference in sensitivity to certain targets....as is expected. The 6x10 @ 14 Khz is deeper on mid conductors than even the stock big coil. Nickels were very noticeable. Now silver was not as much of a difference in that the 6x10 did not lose much on silver...certainly not the difference on gold on nickels I saw. So if you do parks or a lot of jewelry of detect for smaller mid conductive relics you need the 6x10 in 14 Khz

I primarily search for older coins (silver, indian heads, wheats, etc), not much into clad. So with that in mind, I always thought the lower frequency coils (3 Khz or 7 Khz) would serve me better. I do have the 6"x10" in 14 Khz as a middle of the road coil.

Sven, I saw your berkut on the block, are you moving up to a signum?

jimz49 said:
I primarily search for older coins (silver, indian heads, wheats, etc), not much into clad. So with that in mind, I always thought the lower frequency coils (3 Khz or 7 Khz) would serve me better. I do have the 6"x10" in 14 Khz as a middle of the road coil.
Yes the 7khz is a good coin coil..especially in the 10.5" size...not that the bigger coil is bad but like you said...it is just too big sometimes.

I never did get to try the 3Khz as they discontinued it...or at least it was never available. Would be interesting to try one.

jimz49 said:
Sven, I saw your berkut on the block, are you moving up to a signum?

Nope,
Berkut is not going anywhere either. Just can't part with it......:wiggle:
I did have some expenses that needed paying.....
Thought I would see if there was any interest, so I priced it high.
If it didn't sell, perfectly fine.
Hoped at least it would draw some attention to the AKA's and the AKA forum........and my website.
But, I would sell the 20khz 6x10 coil as I prefer the 14khz coils. Then I may just keep it as well, it could
be of use at our clubs seeded hunt as everyone else will be on a diff. frequency.

Funny you should ask about the Signum. Almost ordered one back in Jan. Just to have one.

I don't blame you for keeping it, that's what I was trying to get before I bought the sorex. However someone, not mentioning any names, got the last english faceplate berkut in all of russia. lol

Took me awhile to get this detector dialed in to where it worked to my liking when it came to Canadian clad.
Did a lot of program changes last night, it basically runs silent in all metal mode now. Sometimes you wonder if its even turned on.
It hits the clad really well, newer and older. Love it when the quarters at 6" down come in nice and clear using the 6" coil, as do the pulltabs.
This new 2016 version I think is more powerful than the older version I had last spring. Found I was overpowering it with a Gain setting of 16-20.
It's happy as can be with a gain set at 7-9. What is nice the 6" coil was getting the 6" targets with no problem, even pencil eraser tops at that setting
and I was not picking up all the deeper trash that drove me crazy the other day with the higher Gain setting.
Now is set perfectly to find the Clad as well as gold rings and jewelry, just have to put the coil over it.

I like digging trash as well, there can be gold amongst it.

Fantastic day!! I just read on another forum where a guy in Scotland dug a silver coin 16" deep with the AKA Signum. AKA's are truly amazing detectors once you learn how to adjust them to your specific hunting situation.

Nice haul.

Yah the gain that high is a big no no. I did the same thing at first...although I usually ran it around 10-12 max.

The other two settings that take a while to dial in are the two recovery/retune settings that are part of the top 5 top level adjustments. To this day I still tend to fiddle with them....too slow a recovery and while it gets good depth the ground starts to false...but start to get a little too fast and depth quickly drops.

You probably now have more use on the Berkut than I did.

Can't Wait--------Today I placed my order for a Sorex Pro w/ 6x10 kHz coil--- I did this purchase with Igor----I feel like a little kid waiting for XMASS----------------after1--------------

That's where I got mine, he's a great guy to deal with. Paid for mine on 2/29/16 and received it on 3/17/16. So it doesn't take long. Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I think mine will take a little longer,because they have a May Holiday--- The coil I will be getting is the 14kHz ------What has impressed you the most for the amount of time you used the Sorex?------------after1----------