Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Alert to prospective buyers of the X-terra 50....

Well, I know how you feel about makers not having a true non-motion all metal mode. If you have a CZ-6A,CZ5, or CZ-3D I can tell you how to have a locked-in non-motion hunting mode.

You maybe right. I have an X-terra 50. All Metal is not all metal. It is Zero-Disc. I air tested just now. No depth advantage on changing to all metal. Might as well take all the + off the the Disc 1 or Disc 2 and you have 3 so called all metal. I have owned about 50 detectors and never had one until now that was not deeper in all metal mode. I feel like I got cheated. I hunt for Civil War relics and sometimes the difference between getting a signal and not is your all metal with threashold mode. And pinpoint seems to be deeper than the all metal mode. What does that tell you. I wondered how you had all them tones in all metal mode.

I have a zinc/cadmium plated nail 1.5 " long by 1/32 of an inch in diameter that I used to test my DMC-2B when it first came in. The detector would not pick it up, in Disc at '0' discriminate. Then I tried it on my CZ and C$ at the same setting. Same thing. When I was able to get as far away from all electrical interference as possible, and CRANK the sensitivity, I got a sound that would be like a variation in ground mineral while hunting. I went to all-metal on the 2B with sensitivity high, and trans. sens at 44, and at 2 inches got only the barest whisper of a signal. Then I went to the widescan autotune mode of the Fishers-it was the same as in discriminate-a ghost of a sound. But when I went to pinpoint on the 2 Fishers It really sounded off loudly out to four inches. [The whole problem is the metal alloy of that nail, because I've dug pieces of iron and foil and birdshot so small I almost could not see them.]But when I took a four inch housing nail every detector in every mode sounded off like I had hit a fifteen inch Rodman. And the non motion modes were far superior to the motion modes. There are situations where a true all metal mode cannot be beat.

But, with that said, I am glad that this isn't just another machine for "relic hunters". There are a lot of us who are just coin shooters and, hopefully, we will find some nice jewelry once in awhile. I bought my X-Terra, after reading a ton of pro & con reports, to hunt for coins with a lightweight machine. If I were a relic hunter, I think I would have a difficult time trying to decide which great detector to buy, as there are so many of them that are great for relic hunting, but not much else! I haven't found anything better than the Sovereign at the beach, and I tried a bunch of otherwise good detectors. But, it is nice to have a choice of lightweight ID detectors for park hunting. I am even going to try the Edge ID, for coin shooting. I don't think there is any such thing as a do-it-all detector. We all need to decide what works for us, and then, just stick with it and get better. A bad day shooting coins is better than a good day at work! HH everyone,

Bill

....was one a hunting buddy of mine had several years ago. It consisted of a custom straight-shaft search rod that he built for himself in his own workshop, and let me tell you, that was one heck of a machine.....would do just about anything you could ask.

Of course the "accessory package" helped too.

That consisted of several control housings from several different manufacturers with a variety of matching coils for each one. Whenever he wanted to do a different type of hunting, all he had to do was change out the control housing and the coil !

Ralph

When Teknetics came out with the 9000, it had a non-motion all metal mode that identified targets, as did the motion mode and the TR Disc mode. The 9000 even had an industry first LCD, which read TID and Depth at the same time.

Go to Discovery's web site and read The MAN himself's words:
http://jb-ms.com/Baron/

Take a Whites DFX or a Nautilus DMC-2B or Treasure Baron with deephunter, and put them in all metal non motion mode. They may not i.d. anything, but for shear power nothing in a motion mode can touch them for absolute depth. And, you better bring a backhoe.

if it were a true all metal mode then I don't believe the all metal mode would then be able to ID any object in the ground and emit the different tones. I don't know if there are any machines that can do that or is there? HH John

I agree that there will never be one perfect do it all detector that everyone will like. Not everyone likes the same things in thier detectors. That said the Xterra is an excellent coinshooter with great target separation and accurate pinpointing. Plus it's lightweight make it a detector that you can swing all day without getting tired. JMHO

HH

Beachcomber

I also build my own straight rods, with perfect balance , for me, and I have one of them set up with the S-8 on one stem & the S-5 on another, the Patriot meter and a S-1 inline probe. That's for parks & dirt. I have another bare bones straight rod that has only a S-8 on it and it weighs less than 2 pounds. This is my beach rig and I can hunt all day with it. I carry both in the back of my truck and now, I have to make room for a new X-Terra (on a nice short straight rod, very lite too) and in a week or so the Edge ID. I'll figure a way to mount it on one of straight rods too. I don't like "S" rods, my hands ache after a couple of hours (old age). I like the soft round handles that I make, better than the hard flatter handle that came on my X-Terra. I love the way Minelab makes the Sov and the X-Terra so you can set it up to suit yourself. The X-Terra is very interesting and I like the pinpoint and being able to disc out trash on the fly by pushing a little button. I am still learning the tones and associating them and the visual ID with actual targets. It'll take all winter to get a decent understanding (at least that'll be my excuse to the wife for hunting so much).

I thought I remember a super duper relic machine a few years ago, that sold for around $1500. Is my memory correct, or am I thinking of a different brand?

With a modification you can lock the detector in the pinpoint mode, for all metal mode hunting, the downsides being a bigger battery drain and losing the auto-tune mode.

Actually in the non motion ground balanced mode you are doing a phase shift which essentially could be said to "disc" out the ground minerals.
I've been in places where the point at which my detector was ground balanced, my detector would null out on iron.
You want to add a new twist? On Whites MXT and GMT you actually have what appears to be threshold recovery speed. If you can figure that out, let me know.

By "threshold recovery speed", are you talking about the retune speed, the time it takes the threshold sound to either return from a null or settle back down from an increase in the audio ? White's usually refers to that as the S.A.T. or self-adjusting threshold. Some machines have it set at an internally pre-set speed, while others have adjustable SAT speed. Comes in handy on their gold machines for prospecting in areas where the ground mineralization changes every few inches.

Ground balancing doesn't actually produce a phase shift, because you aren't changing the ground itself, just the machines reaction to it (or lack thereof). The machine still knows the ground is there, it just removes the operator's "perception" of the effect of the ground signal. Regardless whether a detector is "ground balanced" or not, the ground mineralization continues to affect the performance of the machine. What you are really doing by ground balancing is discriminating out a very specific area of conductivity that matches the ground phase point (nulling the ground signal effect), something like a very tight notching feature. Ground balancing doesn't actually improve the performance of the machine per se, it just quiets that specific point of audibility at the point of the ground phase so you can hear good targets against the noise that would otherwise be present from the ground signal.

Yes, I understood the S.A.T. on Whites from many years ago, but it has always been associated with the NON-MOTION MODE. I naturally assumed the MXT had THAT mode also before buying one because of the S.A.T. Then I come to find out it's used on a MOTION based mode, which has to be an industry first. To answer your question about what it is?, I don't know.
I can say it is different than the recovery speed on the DFX, because at a certain speed on the DFX the recovery speed starts to give you a double blip. The threshold control on the MXT, Whites describes as "HYPER", and it is "FAST"!, but you never get a double blip.
Anything you can find out, let us know. [Maybe we need to put Kolchak on the case.]