Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All the new detectors coming out!

Low-Boy/LCPM

It sure would be nice if someone could test the new White's, the new X-Terra 50 and the new Fisher Edge. They all sound nice but the Terra sounds the best so far.

I own a lot of detectors from different makers so I don't have name brand loyalty just want the newest with a little different technology
better unmasking and faster at letting go of the targets.

And I want a small coil that is effective. I that asking too much?

Hi lcpm,

Well, I have the X-Terra 50, and just got my White's Matrix M6 a few days ago... and have an ID Edge on the way. So I'll be using all three units over the coming months. They are interesting in that all three represent a different idea in what a munufacturer thinks a $600 general purpose detector should look and act like.

Steve Herschbach

I can't wait to read about a side by side test, I do hope you pick a winner!Please be critical if it comes to that. I am leaning towards the Terra. I just got the White's 6000XL Pro and it is becoming my favirote. I really like the analog meter and it loves gold and silver and have found a lot of nice finds with it.

Hi lcpm,

Looks like you'd better just keep using that 6000XL Pro! Seriously, I do like playing with new detectors, but none of these three new units do anything that can't be done with dozens of existing models.

More on the new units as time passes. I'm checking them out to satisfy my own interests, and will no doubt pass on some observations. But frankly, I've been burned before doing true head to head testing and posting it to the Internet. It brings out every flamer on the net with accusations of bias and hidden agendas, and I find I'm not much in the mood for that kind of nonsense these days.

Steve Herschbach

You wrote: ....but the Terra sounds the best so far. AND ...And I want a small coil that is effective.

The M6 has better Target ID resulution (VDI numbers) more tones (7) for tone ID and NOT the disign weaknesses of the XTerras (lower rod to long, weak coil connection..)

The M6 locks better on low conductive targets.

The M6 has automatic ground tracking...
No need to check your GB in the field because it is automatic, but you can lock it if you want.

XTerras GB is just manual.

You want a smaller coil ? there is NO small coil right now for the XTerra. For the M6 you can already buy a 4x6 small DD coil or the 5.3 concentric coil.

So the M6 has better features and coils AND a better price.

Streetprice of the Xterra 50 is 599$. Streetprice for the M6 559$ but it gets better. Now you get FREE headphones, a FREE pinpointer and a FREE detector bag with the whites M6.
And if you don"t need that stuff you could easily sell it for about 100 bucks. That would bring the detector price down to 459 $ !!!!!!
That is 140 $ less than the XTerra 50.

And if you want to take advantage of both frequencies of the XTerra 50 you have to buy the same coil size twice. I am glad they didn't make it a three or more frequency detector.

For me it is a no-brainer..... Whites M6... better price , better features, better coils available NOW.

HH,
Andy

I do have the XTerra and enjoy using it but if something better comes along I would appreciate knowing it. Thanks, John

Every forum you seem to be doing your best to trash the Xterras. Jump over here spouting off like some kind of White's pimp every time someone mentions buying an Xterra.

Okay, the M-6 has better VDI resolution = more jumpy I.D.

The M-6 has more tones = more confusion.

Many DON'T have a problem with the searchrod on the Xterras. The ones that do seem to have enough common sense to know how to fix that minor problem.

And now, out of the blue, comes a "weak coil connection" problem ? Strange nobody else has mentioned a thing about that until now.

Okay, on to automatic ground tracking. Might be an advantage, might not. How do you know it's working correctly ? Oh yeah, just lock it and then pump the coil and check it. Really ? Sounds like that would take about as much time as MANUALLY GROUND BALANCING the X-50. Auto tracking can have a tendency to "track into" deeper and smaller targets, or have more problems with masking. Manual GB doesn't have that problem.

Coils ? If I remember correctly, Whites didn't start out their DFX/MXT line with alot of coils being immediately available either. Kind of a weak arguement in that department.

Different coils for different frequencies ? Well, at least Minelab gave us that option. They also gave us full-range notch discrimination, a 4 year warranty instead of 2 years, a much more ergonomic package, less weight, easier and more compact break-down for packing, depth indication, a MUCH better LCD read-out, etc., not to mantion the freebie packages that many Minelab dealers will add to the pot.

And last but not least, PRICE. Well, you get what you pay for.

Am I a Minelab dealer ? Nope. Do you sell Whites ?

Doesn't matter who's name is on the box to me. It's all about performance and features that I can actually benefit from.

JMO,

Ralph

Hi Andy,

You sure are pitching the M6. I've seen this same post on multiple forums.

The "design flaws" you mention on the X-Terra do not seem to exist on mine. I am 5'11" and I set the rod on the third notch up. That leaves room for three shorter settings and two longer. Others have said it is too long but it sure is not for me, and I'm not overly tall.

What weak coil connection? Mine is fine. Try twisting the wingnut another turn.

How about the X-Terra being lighter than the M6 and packing into half the space?

I agree the combination of auto ground balance and a locked position on the M6 is nice. As is the ability to manually adjust the ground balance on the X-Terra, which you cannot do on the M6. But there is absolutely no doubt that the M6, because it shares coils with the DFX/MXT, has one of the best coil selections you can get the day it was introduced.

Free stuff you can sell? Well, I'm a White's dealer and so I am giving the same package with the M6 that you mention. It is a good deal. But with the X-Terra I am offering the Minelab Carry Bag, Tool Belt, Headphones, and Rechargeable Battery System with Wall Charger. I suppose you could also sell that stuff for $100. You'd be stuck keeping the free extended warranty that gives you double the warranty on the Minelab that you get with the White's. But really, aren't you reaching here for reasons to buy an M6?

The MXT is one of my favorite detectors. The real question for me is whether it is worth giving up the Prospecting Mode and Relic Mode to save $100. The smoother audio and tones on the M6 are certainly nice. My biggest gripe is that a $699 list machine should have more than the single turn disc know that you get on a $99 machine. The Ace 250 has independent notching for $250 list so I am disappointed White's has given us such a rudimentary disc control on the M6.

You are right that you need to buy an extra coil to unlock alternative frequencies on the X-Terra 50. You are not locked into a single frequency on it like you are with the M6 regardless of coil chosen.

The M6 is a nice unit, and may very well suit some people more than the X-Terra. I'm one of the larger White's dealers out there, and I have no doubt I'll sell quite a few M6 units, but I swear you sound more like a dealer than I do, Andy!

Steve Herschbach

Let's watch the language, Ralph! It would have demonstrated much better forum ethics to use the word "boner". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought he would give up trashing the X-50. I mean he made his point after testing one for two hours and then selling it as it was the worst detector he ever owned. Guess he just didn't learn how to use it. Anyway after he sold it I thought we had heard the last from him and now he's started again! After 4 weeks with my X-50, I think it's a fine machine with loads of features and I've had no problems like he mentioned.

You know. The neighbor two houses East of me, who will only drive a Plymouth? Well, he has a little mutt that just craves attention. He will yap and yap, chasing Chevy's down the road. Everyone who sees him knows he wouldn't be able to drive it, if he caught one. Obviously frustrated by something only Freud could explain, this little mutt takes every opportunity to pi$$ on new Chevy hubcaps. Sometimes, this little mutt will actually go into other neighbor's garages and pi$$ on their Chevy hubcaps. Can you imagine that? Actually going out of his way, into someone else's garage, to pi$$ on a Chevy hubcap? Darn dog must really love Plymouths. Either that, or he is really intimidated by all the new Chevys going by.

n/t

....the more the company pimps come out of the woodwork bashing and trashing someone else's new machine, the more I want to go out and try one just to see what all the fuss is over. The competition must be worried about something ! :lol:

Ralph

n/t

The proof is in what they do to find targets not a few bucks difference. I was a whites dealer a few years ago and I was using a fisher becasue white's the DFX MXT XL didn't have the depth and make a lot of noise.

So my question is how do they compare in speed letting go of targets and masking and depth and locking on deep tagets and numbers not jumping all over the palce. Seven tones all I need is one but I will take four seven is over kill unless you can program them.

How does it do in iron. I don't need to be sold I need the facts. GIVE ME TEST MACHINE AGAINST MACHINE AND. NO SALES MAN PITCH!

In your first post you wanted a detector that can be used with a small coil. That excludes the XTerra for now.

You don't want jumping ID....That excludes the XTerra for now.

Good in iron ? The XTerra read corroded nails like coins.

7 tones to much for you on the M6 ? No problem...you can put the trigger in the middle position for ONE tone hunting.

But you don't like whites detectors because the DFX and MXT you had had no depth ? Hmmmmm.....buy the fisher.

And no, i am not a whites dealer. I use Troy (X5), Tesoro (Vaquero), Whites(MXT) and have a M6 on the way.

If the M6 doesn't perform well i will post that too.

Whatever you choose......good luck with it.

HH,
Andy