Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

All treasure hunting shows cause is closed parks etc..

michaelnc

Treasure hunting shows cause a rash influx of newbies to rush out and buy detectors thinking they are going to strike it rich. The vast majority of these newbies will have no regard for the code of ethics that true hobbyists follow religously. This in turn causes parks to close and private land owners to turn away would be hobbyists because of all the media attention. I see no positive outcome from these type shows for the hobby of metal detecting. Just MHO.

The metal detecting show I watched last week on the National Geographic channel said NOTHING about ethics such as filling in holes, picking up trash, leaving the land better than you found it. I was very disapointed.

We had to learn didn't we. ?? So maybe some good will come out of this. [size=large]I agree not shows like Diggers is going to help. That was awful !![/size]

But if more people get involved, "we take the time", if we see something wrong and point it out..Hey, maybe more people will get involved and sway things our way as far as cities not banning detecting.

More people doing something always should have the advantage when your opposing closed areas etc.. People can get changes made if they stick together.. Now is the time we all need to stick together more than ever.

Our clubs should take some of our dues, run some ads in the papers, inviting people to meetings. Kinda like the Historical Societies do...........

Detectors are expensive, and not everyone will be buying them.. The ones that do can be brought into the fold .. I think what we all need to be concerned with is the News stations jumping all over this, and like they always do, on most things, they report, blowing it out of proportion...........

anyway.that is my take........... just a thought

Preaching ethics and proper recovery does not improve the WOW factor for the unlearned audience so has been ignored it would appear :blink:

yes! el! media has a tendency to do exactly that!
sensationalism SELLS papers!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

you should be,and "scared" too! it doesn't bode well
for the hobby..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

after the dust settles,i'm headed for the water!
besides,my wife is always complainin' that i stink!
geeeez! what they have to tolerate with us diggers!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

In the Pro world detectors are not cheap. But for the masses watching TV the first place they will go to buy a machine is WalMart. Most couch potato's haven't heard or can even spell Minelab, Garrett, Whites, etc............ If it's not a "Sam Walton" special edition metal finder for $59.00 - it ain't no good.... These shows will run these box stores out of machines!!! Then we'll have people digging up cans and nails looking for the $500 a day treasure they show on TV. Plus leaving holes and trespassing. Yes, they will soon give up but will leave us PRO'S banned to hunt any property other than our own. Our hunts will consist of air testing on out kitchen table and hunting our own coin gardens! Oh so sad.......

very true! you echo my sentiments exactly!
the ONLY place you will be able to hunt,is your own back yard,
so DON'T clean it out just yet!..screw it! i'm headed for the water
can't mess with me there!..all of a sudden,i LIKE findin' gold rings!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

the only effective way to get these programmers to listen to
you is to explain that you will not watch any of their programming,
and if enough people do this,then ratings will be affected,and sponsors will leave
affecting their bottom line! if this is done,then maybe they will listen,and cancel the show!
the chance that they will cancel is unlikely because of production costs associated with the show
too much dough invested,so in reality,if the show suffers from poor ratings ,then this will be the
determining factor...just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I feel all schools will eventually be off limits. School security has certainly changed in my area.

Parks not so much... Many schools have their own police force in operation. County wide in some instances, and for sure City wide..

Large fences are going up, locked at night, and only sanctioned school activities allowed....

Add schools, And some parks posting no detecting, and No trespassing, were finding less areas to detect.

Everyone, I'm with you here, but...

...we might not be in for as much trouble in terms of "closed parks" and such, due to these idiotic shows, as some of you are thinking.

The people these shows are going to generally draw into the hobby are indeed the hacks that think $100 invested in a Wal Mart detector and I'll be finding gold and silver coins and $100 relics. Well, one or two trips to the local park, digging nothing but pull tabs and nails, and ghost signals, will quickly discourage these folks -- and the detector will sit unused in the garage for the rest of its lifetime. I truly believe this, in most cases. Short term influx of goofballs, but it will be SHORT-LIVED. Just think back to when you first started. Frustrating, wasn't it? These newbies don't have the "passion" for detecting, and that passion that those of us have who have stuck with the hobby is what you need to have, in order to suffer through the early days of detecting and not quit -- and eventually get to where you start making a few decent finds. Instead, these newbies have a passion for "getting rich, quick..." and when that doesn't happen, the digging of can slaw and pull tabs will get real old, real quick... :)

Steve

this is correct heck,this happened a lot in the early days too! lot of people
dropped out early on,and it could very well happen again.heck,i don't like diggin' that crap either,
even after 34 years,but i keep "pitchin'" because of "anticipation" of findin' somethin' really good!
it truly is an "event phsycological!"..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

yes it is happening,and i feel sad!
why does it have to come to this?
IF only SOME hunters would use
the brain god gave them,and dig properly
a lot of this "stigma" could be averted!
just sayin'

(h.h!)
j.t.