Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

alloy in gold can deteriorate over time in the ground

cheesehead2

Just to let all know. Some gold may fool you when dug. I dug a very corroded ring and after extensive asking then having tested it came up as solid 14K to 18K gold.
The ring was over 9 inches deep at a very old park that was home to the 1st homestead of a decent sized town in our area. House was built in the 1830's.
I had posted this earlier on this forum and found many may question that the alloys in Gold will corrode over time in the right soil.
They do. If you find something reading around a 50 vdi and looks corroded and Red is the dominant freq. Get it tested before tossing. Pics are worth a thousand words.
When I 1st dug the ring I thought I found an old metal ring.
One other thing, Gold hits very hard on the V3 when it is within a foot of it. Nice detector.

I really want to get me a gold test kit one of these day's cause I have numerous item's such as yours that I really want to test. I have had my V3i for a couple months now and haven't hit any gold with it yet but I'm sure it won't be long. I've dug some awesome stuff with it though, I got silver with it the second day I had it. Just a couple days ago I dug a 1874 Canadian fishscale with it. It VDI'd 53 and hit hard on the 7.5 khz. I'm sure the U.S. half dime would be very similar.

I'm sure happy that my guess was wrong Todd..........:thumbup: , looks a lot different cleaned up, but that 54 VDI still has me stumped.