Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Along the Waterfront....Cape Cod Light..

Ron J

Drove to Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod, to visit relatives. It is 150 miles each way, so I leave my house at 4:00 am to arrive early and give me a full day to visit relatives or sightsee! On the return trip, I stopped at Highland Light , (Cape Cod Light) to tourists... I had never climbed it before, it was open for visitors, and I took advantage of it. Looking out from the Tower, where you can see People, is the site the Lighthouse stood on for years. I was moved to its present positron around 1997?. The whole story was on the History Channel sometime back. The original Lighthouse was another 300 ft towards the ocean, but corrosion took its toll.
The Present Light/lens was manufactured in New Zealand. You can see two large spotlights in the photo, which were the lights, prior. They were not very bright. The original lense were Fresnel Lenses. Most are in museums...
RJ. :usaflag:

lighthouse was closer to the water...why is the new one further back from the water? I think it was neat you getting to visit this lighthouse and take pictures of it. Thanks for sharing. Kelley (Texas) :)

When there is Storm, it eats away at the bankings.... What you do not see in the pictures , is at the waters edge, there is a 100 foot drop to the lower beach. The Cape is mostly sand dunes, and constantly loosing the battle of corrosion. A Storm could take Ten feet or more depending on how intense the Ocean is involved.
Fifty years from now, the Lighthouse could be in danger again!

I do recall a story of a lighthouse being moved due to erosion ...i think they moved it a couple hundred feet or was it yards?...