Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Aluminum screw caps and Etrac numbers

nge

I was at a park yesterday that was almost carpeted with aluminum screw caps, along with pull tabs (no problem with these) can slaw comes in at nickel numbers, but that stuff was far an few between. The problem is those dam wine caps, screw type aluminum beer and soda caps. they consistently gave 12/43 through 12/47 numbers, those 12/44, 12/45, 12/46 and 12/47 numbers should be silver, but nooooooo they were all aluminum caps! My wheats and other copper cents come in as 12/40, 12/41, 12/42 and occaisionally a 12/39. I run, BillS's trashy park pattern. The ground in this park is NOT loaded with rusty nails nor is it very mineralized. It runs from crumbly clay to rich sandy loam. The sounds produced from the aluminum caps is the same high pitched squeal like silver. Only thing I noticed was that the cursor was not falling into where silver normally does on the screen, but, most of the time I go by sound, then look at the screen. Is there a way that I can set my machine up for "coins" only, in the parks I hunt I don't care about gold or nickels, I have programs for those. Minelab's coin program is way too open. And I have tried combining Minelab's coin program and jewelry, and still those dam caps ring up like silver! NGE

Firstly all the Minelab ET program's pattern's are lame , apart from Relic if i can remember without looking .

There is no choice but to either dig all and hope you find something nice or pick a set of numbers and dig all those then next day dig another set of numbers .
Modern trash will always mask good targets and if you think tighter patterns will work then you will miss many good targets hidden very close or next to good targets.

lower you sensitivity to a very low number like 15 or even less and dig whatever comes in and go very slow 3 second on a 5 foot swing so you can separate the targets .
Fast on , Threshold pitch 1 , Variability 30 , Limits 30 , Multi Conduct tones , without looking cant remember the other things i set too but thats because my Explorer is my main machine for the next year.

You may get very peaved at all the bottle tops you find but then you will be doing the environment a favour too :) , its the only way to get to the good finds.

Dont tighten up patterns , loosen them up.

I have been hunting a place that has the maroon screw caps and they come in the same way. I use sizing pinpointing and to me they always pinpoint a bit larger and louder than a coin. They sound a lot like a clad quarter at 2 inches. If it's 12/44-46 and it's a dime it should pinpoint tight. I have also noticed the ferrous will flash a lot of 11's on screw caps and coins show 12 or higher.

DWild said:
to me they always pinpoint a bit larger and louder than a coin.

Had a bunch of them myself today but also agree with the above.......you pretty much gotta dig em or chance loosing a goodie...????