Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Amazing Find(s)! 2 Draped Bust Cents Stuck Together!

Yeasty

Today Dave and I hit an area which we have been researching for quite a while. Dave's been a Whites guy for years but he's real close to ordering an E Trac for himself. So, for today, I let him use my E Trac to help him nail down his decision. I swung my SE. The area we were searching was occupied all the way back to the 1600's and appears to had been used up to the 1950's. It's pretty well wooded in now but most of the trees didn't seem to be very old indicating that the ground was either farmed or used as a pasture by the last occupants.
Well, we worked our way back and Dave called me over. He had dug out 2 large coins which could either be K George halfpences or possibly Large Cents. They were were fused together! Both outer surfaces seemed toasted so he decided to wait until he got home and make a decision to separate them or not. We dectected on and finally came across some very large stone walls which we predicted would be there. They appear to have been used for a dairy cow barn. Lots of iron targets!
After finishing a very tiring day of detecting we got back to Daves' house and he soaked the coins in water for a while and he was finally able to pry them apart. Right after he got them separated he said "HOLY S^^T!" The 2 coin surfaces which had been touching each other had a lot of detail. I had to head home and when I got there he had cleaned up the 2 good surfaces, taken pictures and sent them to me. As you can see they are in amazing condition due to the fact that they had been joined probably for more than 200 years.
1794 is the second year that the first US Mint was in operation
I think we will have a new E Trac owner real soon!
Dave made a video of the finds and the stone walls at the site. I'll edit this post and add it when it is done. The video shows how the coins were fused together.

The other sides are completely toasted.

Thanks for the great pictures and the awesome story! Tell Dave Congratulations and because he dug those coins out "before" owning an E-Trac....he has to wait until the ground freezes solid before ordering one!

NebTrac

Jealous......Nice job Yeasty and Dave. Just so you know, that isn't a draped bust. It is a Liberty Cap. Which in my opinion is ten times better than a DB. Very outstanding find indeed. HH, Dan

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET0Gw0BCEbM[/video]