Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AMAZING SUPRISE BENEFIT OF USING WAYPOINTS

McClod

I just received my new Minelab CTX 3030 a week ago Monday. And right off the bat I started training myself to take advantage of the geohunt/GPS features on the machine. While doing so I discovered a very cool "hidden" feature. This works in my area , I haven't seen anything about this posted before so I wanted to put this info out there as it has been extremely helpful for me.

What I noticed is this, I did a practice geohunt in my front yard and across the street. Made a few waypoints and find points. Later at home I loaded them into the XCHANGE2 software and viewed them. The google earth image showed my yard, and street, and the grassy area with a winding sidewalk across the street from me where I had made way points. When I clicked on the EDIT button, the google earth image that came up was an OLDER image from 2 or 3 years back when the area was undergoing some construction and now this image clearly showed the concrete blocks and large black pipes that were laid out in the area where the grass and sidewalk now are.

Fast foward to yesterday November 11th. When I was a kid I lived in a neighborhood that was torn out to put a new freeway in, on the street I lived on there was a Boys Club, which is still there but now called the Boys and Girls club, which had two baseball diamonds. The diamonds are now gone but the field is still there and I lived in a house on the Southern edge of the field, now also gone. So I did my hunt, made a bunch of find points and way points.

This morning when I loaded them into the XCHANGE2 software from my CTX 3030, I viewed the geohunt, and also created some new waypoints in areas that I wanted to make sure I hunted later as a reminder. So in viewing the waypoint I created I could see it on the google earth image which showed the field as it was when I hunted it yesterday. But when I clicked on the edit button of the waypoint, I could now see the old concession stand, and bleacher seats as they were before they were torn down!!!! Using this info I placed a few more waypoints, experimenting on their location then going back into the edit waypoint to see if I had placed them correctly and was able to get them right where I wanted, along the edge of the old bleachers and dug outs and around the concession stand.

How amazing is that? Has anyone else noticed that an older google earth images comes up in the edit feature on waypoints or findpoints? I'm sure all this could be found by researching older aireal (sp) photos or satelite images, but to have it right there on my CTX in the XCHANGE2 software right in front of my eyes when reviewing the previous days hunt was quite an amazing find in itself for me!!!

I have made screen shots of the different images in order to show what I mean but I haven't uploaded them in order to include in this. I imagine some of you have already discovered this?

I am not sure why it works like this, but I'll gladly take advantage of its usefulness! Thanks Minelab!

Don

Very nice....

I will point out that XChange2 uses Google Map not Google Earth. I will have to check what you mentioned about the older image. Ive never noticed any difference in the XChange2 image when viewing or editing. I do know if you use screen shots and overlay them in Google Earth you can select different age of Google Earth images.....

Which ever it uses, I wasn't sure which I just know the age of the images being displayed is older than the image shown when just viewing the waypoints in the map in geohunt.

I knew about being able to view some older satellite views but from where I didn't remember all those specifics. Just passing on what I DO know. It came in very handy. I'm not sure why or how it happens, but I hope it continues to happen.

Don

Check it out, If you , know of someplace near you that has fairly recently undergone some construction, say in the past 2 or 3 years, scroll there on your map then set a way point near the area. Note the area as it appears on the map, then the same area from viewing the waypoint after hitting the edit button. There should be a difference in the image, and if there was construction at the right time it should show it. Those two places I mentioned I was very familiar with and knew both had undergone construction in the past few years. I was just suprised to see it from the edit waypoint view and see the area near me as it was when it was actually under construction, and the other area that included the baseball field concession and bleachers before they were torn down.

In many cases the difference may be nill, and I happened to get lucky with the two areas I searched since both had recent construction or destruction, but under the right conditions it can be a huge help. I hope it works for you and others! But if it does not its probably just because there has not been any changes to the area in recent years, but still you should be able to see some difference in appearance if the edit map is older.

HH

Don