Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Amazing

Gold Buddy

The TESLA assembly plant in Fremont, California

Watch this and you'll better understand why
manufacturing jobs will never be what they once were.

Once upon a time, this was science fiction.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM?rel=0

Being a retired Electrical Engineer, that automation is no doubt an impressive feat of technology. Robots replacing humans = low paying jobs or worse welfare for the general population.

However with all that automation, I feel sorry for kids graduating hi school these days. Back in the day, a hi school grad had a hi paying manufacturing job waiting for them.
My advice for the kids today barring college would be taking courses on robotic maintenance/programming. CNC operator/programmer/technician is another one.
Or enter an apprenticeship in one of the trades.

Someone has got to fix them robots when they break and they do break.

Yep..that is my advice to all young people as well.:thumbup:..learn how to fix these things and you will have work somewhere...learn how to fix something anyway...HVAC, Auto, Plumbing, Welding..etc..
Mud.

Talk to ANY small engine repair guy or business and they will tell you that they can't get anyone interested in going to the training schools--one guy at big atv store said he would pay for the schoolin',but no takers. Too many of these fat,spoiled kids living off Mama and Daddy.HARD times--dey bees come'in.

doc holiday said:
Talk to ANY small engine repair guy or business and they will tell you that they can't get anyone interested in going to the training schools--one guy at big atv store said he would pay for the schoolin',but no takers. Too many of these fat,spoiled kids living off Mama and Daddy.HARD times--dey bees come'in.

Thats a sad state of affairs with some kids these days but true.
Back last Winter i stopped by the local car dealership to buy some parts. Noticed a sign posted there, ASE service technician wanted
Last week i had some work done on one of my Jeeps at the same dealership. That sign was still posted there after all those months.

On the other hand, employers are extremely picky these days on who they hire. There still are a lot of people who lost their hi paying job and are either unemployed or settled for some lo paying service job. People who are willing to line up for a shot at a full time manufacturing type job opening.

Just about every job i applied for from hi school to my last position, i was for all practical purposes hired at the interview. 'When do you want to start'?

When my last employer decided to relocate off-shore and close U.S. operations, i got laid off after 14 years with them along with a 1000+ other people.
Holy smokes was i in store for a bunch of BS finding another job. Being in my 50s at that time didn't help either. Lucky to even get an interview after mailing out hundreds of resumes including head hunters and job search web sites.
Had one company sort of unofficially offer me a position but said we'll be in contact. That company strung me along for a couple months only to find out they hired someone else. 'We'll keep your application for any future openings'. Right!!

The last interview i had, the guy looked over my application and work history and said you're a good fit for the position. Then he looked at my salary history and that SOB said 'i can hire 3 foreign engineers for what you were making'!!
Picked up my stuff and i abruptly ended that interview.
On the way home i had it, F it, i'm retired and never looked back.

Good post Ironsight..one a lot of us can relate to..:thumbup: It would sure be tough to go back inside.:unsure:..it would be an untolerable soul sucking experience, ...a fellow would quickly 'point out' just by being a Man..
Mud.