Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

American S1 worth fixing?

Songdog

I have an older Garrett American S1 that I bought used.
Previous owner said it use to work and then suddenly quit.
An electronics buddy looked at it and found a bad resistor and replaced it, but it still is not quite right.
I can get it fixed for around $80.00, but was wondering if you all think it is worth the trouble.
I was going to let the grandson use it as I don't trust him yet with my GT or Tejon! lol
Meter works, battery check works

Having worked on a bunch of older Garretts such as yours, 50% of them could not be fixed.
Sometimes it was only a bad coil or a bad pot. If you have to put $80.00 into it save your money and buy a newer used
entry level machine. Since this is a Garrett forum I would suggest the Ace 150.
The S1 is a TR machine, it could be frustrating for a newbie to use.

You can download the old Garrett catalogs from my website
http://www.treasurelinx.com/garrett.html

If you didn't want to fix it, you could always use it as a trade in to Garrett for a entry level Garrett model. 30% off I believe.

Roscue2 said:
If you didn't want to fix it, you could always use it as a trade in to Garrett for a entry level Garrett model. 30% off I believe.

I did not know about this program!
I will check it out, and thanks to all for the replies.

I loved the machine! I used it in the FIRST International Treasure hunt. I found that holding the pinpointing/retune button in, the detector would stay at max threshhold and the reset was slow and would give a signal. I did great with it. Too bad it's costly to repair. l would get the Ace-I love that,too.