Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

An interesting unique find...

gfatizzi

While on my "staycation" yesterday detecting one of my favorite Hudson River sites, I came across this commemorative bronze medal marking a date in history near the end of WWll. Coincidentally, the only wheatie I found was from the same year. Love finding this kind of stuff from time to time! I was using the trusty ole' Sov XS coupled with the awesome Nel 12X13 Tornado coil. HH and enjoy the read! George
The following is an historical account from the 34th infantry division association:

... On the evening of the 28th of April 1945, I received the following order from General Crittenberger, Commanding IV Corps:

1. "Move one Regimental Combat Team to the north side of the PO River without delay.2. Upon relief by the 1st Infantry Division, BEF [Brazilian Expeditionary Force], reinforce Regimental Combat Team with rest of Division.3. Advance to the west in new zone, cut off and destroy any enemy therein."
With this brief and concise order, reinforced by some verbal information as to the possible location of enemy elements, the orders for the movement were issued.
The Division was stretched from MODENA to PIACENZA, a distance of 75 miles. Quickly and smoothly it moved across the PO, and advanced again toward the Northwest. In three days it was in position to attack on the right of and in conjunction with the 1st A. D. [Armored Division] (US) and destroy the LXXV German Corps in the vicinity of BIELLA. In this short period of time, the division back tracked 75 miles, crossed the PO River, and advanced 175 miles to Northwest Italy.
The LXXV German Corps Commander surrendered to our force on 1 May 1945. It was an odd coincidence that our last victory in Italy included the complete surrender of the German 34th Division as part of the LXXV Corps, to the American 34th Division. It marked a high point in the outstanding history of our Division. ...

Attachments

• PXL_20221011_195017564~2.jpg
    PXL_20221011_195017564~2.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20221011_201909785~2.jpg
    PXL_20221011_201909785~2.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 86
Cool find. (y)